Video errors even with great signal?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jasonl
Expert

Re: Video errors even with great signal?

Post by jasonl »

If you're 100% sure that WJAC is still on the air on 22, maybe try contacting the phone numbers and email address for the main studio and closed captioning contacts on https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/tv-profile/wtoo-cd and seeing if you can get a human, and if so, asking them to assert their rights as a class A licensee to kick WJAC's channel 22 broadcast off-air. Maybe try WJAC too, their info is at https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/tv-profile/wjac-tv. If you can't get anywhere, file an FCC complaint at https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us (select TV then use Interference as the issue). None of it will probably go anywhere, but what else are you going to do while stuck at home?

RedPenguin

Post by RedPenguin »

jasonl wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:57 pm
If you're 100% sure that WJAC is still on the air on 22, maybe try contacting the phone numbers and email address for the main studio and closed captioning contacts on https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/tv-profile/wtoo-cd and seeing if you can get a human, and if so, asking them to assert their rights as a class A licensee to kick WJAC's channel 22 broadcast off-air. Maybe try WJAC too, their info is at https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/tv-profile/wjac-tv. If you can't get anywhere, file an FCC complaint at https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us (select TV then use Interference as the issue). None of it will probably go anywhere, but what else are you going to do while stuck at home?
Thanks again for the info. Yea, might as well.

I luckily already have human contacts from both stations already, but I haven't heard from WTOO in about a day or two so far.

Anyway, just tried shooting an email to the WJAC Technical Contact that I used before when their MeTV subchannel had broken audio and he repaired it.

I'll be curious what either say because it does seem like WJAC is in the process of moving RF-22 to RF-33 since Dec 2019 but have not provided any updates. Some local viewers believe we may have to wait until after the repack deadlines before it's moved.

RedPenguin

Post by RedPenguin »

WJAC responded and stated that all equipment has been ordered and they expect to have it completed by the end of June if all goes to plan.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

WJAC shouldn't still be on the air at all on 22. That's literally the entire point of a class A broadcast license, being able to kick off lesser signals that interfere with yours. Of course, there could be things going on behind the scenes that they aren't talking about, like maybe Sinclair slipping a few bucks to HC2 to not complain about the interference. That wouldn't surprise me on either side.

RedPenguin

Post by RedPenguin »

jasonl wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:30 pm
WJAC shouldn't still be on the air at all on 22. That's literally the entire point of a class A broadcast license, being able to kick off lesser signals that interfere with yours. Of course, there could be things going on behind the scenes that they aren't talking about, like maybe Sinclair slipping a few bucks to HC2 to not complain about the interference. That wouldn't surprise me on either side.
I wouldn't be surprised about the slipping of a few bucks.

WTOO has always been a very lowkey barely known about station for years and was basically just another HSN affiliate based in Altoona for years by Fifth Street Enterprises/The VideoHouse out of Pittsburgh.

HC2 bought it and finally moved it to Bolivar and put some interesting stuff on like the Weigel Channels + GetTV & Justice and aimed it at Johnstown, which only really had WJAC for most folks in the city itself especially with indoor antennas.

Their FCC info is weird though, it has FSE/TVH still listed many places as owners but supposedly HC2 bought it, so I don't know if it's an LMA or what's going on.

RedPenguin

Post by RedPenguin »

WJAC announced today, Jun 15th to finally move their translator.

RedPenguin

Post by RedPenguin »

Well, I am totally at a loss what to do now.

It was confirmed by a fellow AVSForum User that WJAC for a fact moved their RF 22 to RF 33.

Yet, I still can't stop getting TEI errors.

I seem to be able to get at least 89%-94% (sometimes 95%) signal strength, at least 91%-98% signal quality, and always 100% symbol quality.

Yet for some reason the symbol quality randomly drops to 0% at random times. It's not like the every 30 seconds bug some had, as it can be 2-3 minutes or even 20-25 minutes before it happens.

After about a second, the symbol quality goes back to 100% like nothing occured and the other two numbers never drop to 0% or even really lower at all.

I have checked every single electronic in the room and nearby rooms, I have tried turning off my WiFi Router, tried turning off any Bluetooth equipment, tried reaiming the antenna, tried an atennuator, tried FM Trap, and finally tried a CATV Amp.

I just don't understand how I can get minutes on end of perfect signal, random drop out, then perfect again.

RedPenguin

Post by RedPenguin »

I still don't understand why Ch 22 is so sensitive.

My family member has a Smart TV that they get the channel 65-70% signal and it looks great.

Yet if they turn off/on a desk fan, picture breaks up for a second.

Yet, WJAC RF Ch 35, does not seem to do this at all.

How does the interference "know" to only interfere with some channels?

RedPenguin

Post by RedPenguin »

Well, I found out some new information.

My neighbor down the street is having a similar issue.

His signal looks good for minutes, then breaks up 1-5 seconds then good for minutes.

He doesn't have access to advanced stuff like TSReader or even a TV Signal Meter but symptoms look rather similar to mine.

His WJAC is no issue at all just like mine.

We both recently had our electric company install Smart Meters, could this be the cause of why there is electrical interference?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Some smart meters have RF transmitters, but a quick google suggests that they shouldn't be overlapping with any UHF channels.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Any idea on the make/model of the meter?

RedPenguin

Post by RedPenguin »

NedS wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 pm
Some smart meters have RF transmitters, but a quick google suggests that they shouldn't be overlapping with any UHF channels.
That's what I thought, as I got the same results when I Googled it.

I was trying to think of anything that changed in the area that would cause myself and my neighboor to seem to both have reception issues when the channel is only like 2.5 miles away.

They only other thing is, more CCTV/Security Camera have been installed around with a central viewing location that may be transmitting on some frequency.
jasonl wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:22 pm
Any idea on the make/model of the meter?
Looks like they use something called Itron OpenWay Centron.

https://www.itron.com/na/solutions/prod ... ay-centron

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Looks like the meter operates on the 2.4GHz wifi band and the 900MHz cellular band, so it shouldn't have any impact on channel 22, certainly no worse than a cell phone or wifi device would. A security camera is probably either PoE and not transmitting wirelessly at all, or powered and using standard 2.4 or 5GHz wifi, and again wouldn't cause any more issues than any other wireless device would.

Feels like you need more data points. If I was having trouble with something I'd bring my laptop, HDHomeRun, USB tuner, and indoor antenna to the office and do some testing on my lunch break and see how things look there. If I was actually going in to the office, anyway. Not so much at the moment :lol:. Local library is also good, at least during non-COVID times, since they usually have study carrels with wifi and power outlets, and what more do you really need?