New User - Clear QAM channel guide Question

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
flatlander1966

New User - Clear QAM channel guide Question

Post by flatlander1966 »

Hi, I just installed a connect duo HDHR5-2US and connected to my cable to get the clear QAM content my internet provider has in the clear. (i have a fire recast on attic antenna as well)

It scanned and found many channels that I can watch in clear, however the guide does not work as the channel shows in the 5000's and "Unknown" as the name.

I used the HDHomeRun Setup software and know for example that "CH7 - 5" listed as "5051" shown as "Unknown" and from using zap2it is actually "668 KFTHDT3" (grit tv)

I have all of the actual channel names, number and call signs... Is there a way to config so that the app shows the guide info? I want to use PC and Fire TV to view stream...

Thanks

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: New User - Clear QAM channel guide Question

Post by signcarver »

SD's software only uses the results of the scan. To get guide listings provided by SD the scan must see the virtual channel number and name. Any number in the 5000's can be considered random... though that particular device may continue to provide the same number for the same physical channel on future scans, a second device may not use the same numbers.

Your only choice is to use software that maintains it's own lineup, not software that is dependent on the scan results. Or you can try to convince your provider to provide the proper psip data so the scan can pick such up.

flatlander1966

Post by flatlander1966 »

thanks for your reply. Are you aware of any app I can use from fire stick (primary streaming devices) that will provide a user configured guide for my channels?

flatlander1966

Post by flatlander1966 »

Well I got my own answer... I am now using Plex pass with the homerun.... It sees it on the network and during config I tell it my cable provider name then use a drop down menu to select the correct channel associated with the "5000" series channels.... seems to work perfect!

Second newbie question though.... Can I mix my OTA signal with the Clear QAM signal feed that into the HDhomerun and scan both OTA & QAM and have all channels available or do I have to live with either or?

Thanks

ronzie9

Post by ronzie9 »

flatlander1966 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:24 am
Well I got my own answer... I am now using Plex pass with the homerun.... It sees it on the network and during config I tell it my cable provider name then use a drop down menu to select the correct channel associated with the "5000" series channels.... seems to work perfect!

Second newbie question though.... Can I mix my OTA signal with the Clear QAM signal feed that into the HDhomerun and scan both OTA & QAM and have all channels available or do I have to live with either or?

Thanks
No, you would need a separate Homerun connected to your antenna. Trying to mix the antenna and cable into one Homerun could cause signals from the cable to "leak" and cause interference to other devices in the area. https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/ca ... al-leakage