Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
Sion

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by Sion »

demonrik wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:57 pm
Sion wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:04 pm Hey Rik!
Thanks so much for all your work and support for this great tool.
I *just* finally got around to installing it on my synology (i've had the nas and hdhr for years... since 2012 or so) and I can't believe I didn't install this sooner.
That said, I have one problem:
While all my old recordings are still on the NAS, I can't see them or any recording history through the HDHR app now.
I'm not very Linux savvy, so I wonder if I did something wrong, or if it's possible to restore this history? I can't browse all my recordings now.
Thanks...
In the UI check and see if you have a log.
If you don't then likely your permissions for the folder aren't set right.
If you have a log, but it's not showing any recordings, we may have permissions issues on the files.

But first things first.
How did you switch to the SPK?
Did you change the RecordPath?
Or move the files in File station?
Thanks for the quick reply.
I simply installed the SPK manually as you instructed in the first post. downloaded 0.8.2 from onedrive.
I did nothing else.
EDIT: FYI, the record version prior to this was really old, 2017 era. Part of why I installed your package was to see if I could upgrade through the package UI, since the HDHR setup pathway was not working for me (did not recognize any NAS on network).
Installing your package apparently automatically upgraded the record engine to 20200225 as well.
I literally did nothing else.

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

Sion wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:22 pm ....
Thanks for the quick reply.
I simply installed the SPK manually as you instructed in the first post. downloaded 0.8.2 from onedrive.
I did nothing else.
EDIT: FYI, the record version prior to this was really old, 2017 era. Part of why I installed your package was to see if I could upgrade through the package UI, since the HDHR setup pathway was not working for me (did not recognize any NAS on network).
Installing your package apparently automatically upgraded the record engine to 20200225 as well.
I literally did nothing else.
Ah - ok
Basically your old recordings are probably over in /volume1/HDHomeRun
But the engine through the SPK defaults to /volume1/HDHomeRunDVR

Here's fastest fix path (fingers crossed - haven't done this in a while)
- first confirm I'm right that the old path is /volume1/HDHomeRun - I will assume I'm right.

1. Stop the engine in the UI
2. Change the RecordPath in the UI to /volume1/HDHomeRun
3. On the Synology Desktop open 'Control Panel' / 'Shared Folder'
4. select The HDHomeRun folder
5. Click on Edit
6. Select the Permissions Tab
7. On the drop down box for 'Local Users' drop down and select 'local groups'
8. For Name = http ensure you have Read/Write box ticked
9. Select OK
10. Now go back to the UI and start the engine again

Hopefully you should now see all the recordings.

Sion

Post by Sion »

demonrik wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:41 pm Ah - ok

- first confirm I'm right that the old path is /volume1/HDHomeRun - I will assume I'm right.

5. Click on Edit
9. Select OK

Unfortunately, no. I now see one recording, that just happened to have occured since my last post (actually looks like it's underway, and I interrupted it when I stopped the engine probably - no worries it wasn't important.)
Regardless I don't see any of my dozens of movies and shows that are stored in /volume1/HDHomeRun/.

Sion

Post by Sion »

Sion wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:16 pm

5. Click on Edit
9. Select OK

Unfortunately, no. I now see one recording, that just happened to have occured since my last post (actually looks like it's underway, and I interrupted it when I stopped the engine probably - no worries it wasn't important.)
Regardless I don't see any of my dozens of movies and shows that are stored in /volume1/HDHomeRun/.
Disregard that. I did not properly change the record path, so it didn't stick. I now have changed it and yes the recordings are showing up.
Thank you.

Sion

Post by Sion »

Sion wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:23 pm

5. Click on Edit
9. Select OK

Disregard that. I did not properly change the record path, so it didn't stick. I now have changed it and yes the recordings are showing up.
Thank you.
Well, now I have another problem. http://my.hdhomerun.com does not recognize any hdhr devices on the network, nor the dvr software. Any ideas on this?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Sion wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:47 pm
Sion wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:23 pm
Thank you.
Well, now I have another problem. http://my.hdhomerun.com does not recognize any hdhr devices on the network, nor the dvr software. Any ideas on this?
Is everything working anyway?
If so likely a problem with your browser

Sion

Post by Sion »

demonrik wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:03 pm
Sion wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:47 pm Well, now I have another problem. http://my.hdhomerun.com does not recognize any hdhr devices on the network, nor the dvr software. Any ideas on this?
Is everything working anyway?
If so likely a problem with your browser
Well, I've tried it on every browser (having cleared cache and history) and every device I have (chrome, edge, brave, firefox; win10 laptop, desktop, android phone) and they all show the same message: No HDHomeRun detected, No HDHomeRun DVR detected.
The hdhr app, dvr engine, and your synology package seem to be working. But this is still unsatisfactory to me.
I can imagine the DVR engine getting messed up as that's software, but the HDHR hardware should still show up on the network, right?
If I go straight to the internal IP of the HDHR itself, I can get to its firmware main menu and see the channel listing.
It's almost as if some setting in the firmware has been set to make itself not visible to the "my.hdhomerun.com" app/site, but also the dvr engine too.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

There are several things that can cause issue with my.hdhomerun.com none of which is a problem with this add on.

Reboot the devices (tuners, clients, and dvr and ensure that the the dvr is up and detected by a client... I suggest this as any ip change can take up to 8 hours to show up at my.hdhomerun.com)

Then recheck my.hdhomerun.com
If just the DVR engine is missing verify that a StorageID is in the hdhomerun.conf file that is being used by the engine (with everything you have done, the .conf file may be elsewhere) also ensure the NAS isn't using a vpn.

If it is still not working make sure you are not using any vpn or proxy to connect to the internet as my.hdhomerun.com reports devices/engines that have connected from the same public ip address (it then reaches out to such and reports only those that respond). Some providers use NAT in such a way that your public ip is always changing and http discovery (i.e. my.hdhomerun.com) will almost never work, at least consistently.

Sion

Post by Sion »

signcarver wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:56 am There are several things that can cause issue with my.hdhomerun.com none of which is a problem with this add on.

Reboot the devices (tuners, clients, and dvr and ensure that the the dvr is up and detected by a client... I suggest this as any ip change can take up to 8 hours to show up at my.hdhomerun.com)

Then recheck my.hdhomerun.com
If just the DVR engine is missing verify that a StorageID is in the hdhomerun.conf file that is being used by the engine (with everything you have done, the .conf file may be elsewhere) also ensure the NAS isn't using a vpn.

If it is still not working make sure you are not using any vpn or proxy to connect to the internet as my.hdhomerun.com reports devices/engines that have connected from the same public ip address (it then reaches out to such and reports only those that respond). Some providers use NAT in such a way that your public ip is always changing and http discovery (i.e. my.hdhomerun.com) will almost never work, at least consistently.
Found the solution/root cause: I'm stupid. LoL
At some point during the process, around when I installed demonrik's add-on, I rebooted my laptop, and it re-initiated my VPN, which I had turned off previously to setup the hdhr.
When I went to try this on my other devices, well, most of my devices are on a vpn too.
Turned off VPN and my.hdhomerun.com works. (http://hdhomerun.local/ still doesn't but that's another thread)
Thanks for the help both of you, and sorry for being lame. :)

atjohnson

Post by atjohnson »

Hello Rik

Hi I have just purchased a HDhomerun DVR subscription and have manually installed your synology nas spk. Everything is running fine as i can timeshift record and play back recordings. However i can not access the DVR Manager UI from pacakge center. All i get is 403 error message. I have tried the workarounds with open_basedir and setting PHP 7.2 as default but this does not rectify the situation. if you could shed any other light that would be greatly appreciated

ppasteur

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine update ?

Post by ppasteur »

Hi Rik,

Just curious, will you be doing any upgrade packages in the future.
I well know that the world is in a crazy place. People have much to worry about not related to HDHR.
I Had problems with HDHR in Win 10 so I downloaded the latest version, 20200521. Of course now my Nvidia box and the Synology have those red X marks by them. So I came here looking for an update.

No pressure intended. I really appreciate everything you have done on this so far. Just wondering.

Again, thanks for all you have done!!

Phil P.

demonrik

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine update ?

Post by demonrik »

ppasteur wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:10 pm Hi Rik,

Just curious, will you be doing any upgrade packages in the future.
I well know that the world is in a crazy place. People have much to worry about not related to HDHR.
I Had problems with HDHR in Win 10 so I downloaded the latest version, 20200521. Of course now my Nvidia box and the Synology have those red X marks by them. So I came here looking for an update.

No pressure intended. I really appreciate everything you have done on this so far. Just wondering.

Again, thanks for all you have done!!

Phil P.
Should get time tomorrow..
Got a little distracted

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

I think many of us have been distracted the last couple of months. I know I have. Complete disruption of all of my "norms"

I hope that you are well!
Thanks,

Phil

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Removed - see OP for correct version and link
Last edited by demonrik on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

Rik,
Thanks much!!
I grabbed the file and will install soon.
Again, I really appreciate your efforts towards keeping this going.

Phil.