When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
trakz

Re: When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

Post by trakz »

lol, fair enough. I appreciate the position. Thank you.

jmrdv

Post by jmrdv »

And when is this now scheduled to come out anyway? ANY ideas at all? EVen iif only to tell us what is holding it up

trakz

Post by trakz »

jmrdv wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:11 pm
And when is this now scheduled to come out anyway? ANY ideas at all? EVen iif only to tell us what is holding it up
Once it is approved by Cable Labs then it will go into manufacturing.

LSExt2016

Post by LSExt2016 »

trakz wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:11 pm
jmrdv wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:11 pm
Once it is approved by Cable Labs then it will go into manufacturing.
I hope Cable Labs, made up of all the cable operators themselves making streaming boxes now it seems, will work with Silicon Dust to allow them to do the Prime 6. Seems all these cable operators have seen the success in companies like Silicon Dust having hardware to enable streaming boxes, eliminating cable boxes, so now they are moving into this market to offer their services on small streaming apps now too. Hope they welcome competition and don't try to block it. There's room for everyone in streaming.

cgarcianj

Post by cgarcianj »

will this device come out already I have no interest in a 4k home Quarto run Ive been waiting since 2018 for the prime 6 why is this taking FOREVER TO MAKE THIS PRODUCT ? are you guys being block from creating this device by the cable company I just don't understand why its taking two years to create this product ?

HD Home Run Quarto will never sell out like a HD Home Run Prime 6 please stop sending me e-mails about the hd home run 4k quarto I think I speak for all Silicon Dust customer with cable company ripping us off NO PRODUCT WILL GET THE HIGHEST WANT LIKE THE PRIME 6

AND WAHT ABOUT MAKING A PRIME X 12 WITH 12 TUNERS?

Im sorry if I seem mad I check this website everyday since silicon dust announced this product back in 2018's CES PLEASE MAKE THIS PRODUCT WE ARE WAITING FOR A LIFETIME FOR THIS PRODUCT TO COME OUT.

I REALLY DON'T WANT TO BUY A TIVO BUT AT THIS POINT THEY ARE WAY BETTER THEN CABLE COMPANY. :shock:

cgarcianj

Post by cgarcianj »

Can. you use arris company to make the prime 6 ? or a prime x12?

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 »

cgarcianj wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:05 pm
I do believe an M Card can only support up to 6 streams (tuners), so there'd be very little advantage to making a device capable of more than 6 streams. You'd still need an additional card for each multiple of 6.

LSExt2016

Post by LSExt2016 »

shawn_75 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:40 pm
cgarcianj wrote:
I do believe an M Card can only support up to 6 streams (tuners), so there'd be very little advantage to making a device capable of more than 6 streams. You'd still need an additional card for each multiple of 6.
In a way, I wish they stuck with the Prime 3 tuner. This way we could just buy additional units. This would require more cable cards BUT in case of a box failure, you still have another box to pull tuners from. Don't get me wrong, I definitely still want the Prime 6, but because of a chance of device failure, which I've experienced in past with the Prime 3, I wouldn't want to push a single box past 6 tuners. Just my opinion. 8-)

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

LSExt2016 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:21 pm
shawn_75 wrote:
cgarcianj wrote:
In a way, I wish they stuck with the Prime 3 tuner. This way we could just buy additional units. This would require more cable cards BUT in case of a box failure, you still have another box to pull tuners from. Don't get me wrong, I definitely still want the Prime 6, but because of a chance of device failure, which I've experienced in past with the Prime 3, I wouldn't want to push a single box past 6 tuners. Just my opinion. 8-)
Again, it is no longer physically possible for us to manufacturer the original PRIME, due to a key component no longer being manufactured.

LSExt2016

Post by LSExt2016 »

NedS wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:42 pm
LSExt2016 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:21 pm
shawn_75 wrote:

Again, it is no longer physically possible for us to manufacturer the original PRIME, due to a key component no longer being manufactured.
NedS,

"Again"....such aggravation in your responses on here to YOUR companies loyal customers Ned....shame. My point was the IDEA was merely saying having ANY tuner box with 3 tuners, and using multiples to get to 6, 12 or more tuners, was more ideal for fallback sake to be able to still have tuners usable if one box goes down. The Word Prime 3 Tuner is as anonymous as far as the hardware that is or could in the future be inside as is the Prime 6 word is. It's merely in my statement representing a box with that amount of tuners in it. I know the reasons the old Prime is no longer made, but with new technology you COULD do a new updated hardware version of a Prime 3 but customers, including myself as I stated, are looking forward just the same to a 6 tuner box. My point was of backup options, not of resurrecting old technology.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

LSExt2016 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 am
"Again"....such aggravation in your responses on here to YOUR companies loyal customers Ned....shame. My point was the IDEA was merely saying having ANY tuner box with 3 tuners, and using multiples to get to 6, 12 or more tuners, was more ideal for fallback sake to be able to still have tuners usable if one box goes down. The Word Prime 3 Tuner is as anonymous as far as the hardware that is or could in the future be inside as is the Prime 6 word is. It's merely in my statement representing a box with that amount of tuners in it. I know the reasons the old Prime is no longer made, but with new technology you COULD do a new updated hardware version of a Prime 3 but customers, including myself as I stated, are looking forward just the same to a 6 tuner box. My point was of backup options, not of resurrecting old technology.
You're not fully understanding. Once the hardware inside changes, it needs to be recertified. So whether it's a 3 tuner or 36 tuner device doesn't matter; the hardware changed so the certification has to start over.

So making a 3 tuner or 6 tuner mode takes no difference as far as the effort exerted. Since a single CableCARD can handle 6 streams, to make a device with fewer tuners makes no sense.

trakz

Post by trakz »

Once the hardware inside changes, it needs to be recertified.
^ this.

VistaVick

Post by VistaVick »

It's true that at this point, there is no point developing another unit, we have to pray the 6 tuner will come out as some point. However, I'm sure the company knew well ahead of time the components for the old box were no longer going to be manufactured, the process for building and certifying a revised 3 tuner should have started a long time ago instead of just focusing on developing a brand new product. They gambled that they would have the 6 tuner ready so there would be endless months without a single cable card tuner product being for sale. They gambled and lost. Lost who knows how many customers who went in other directions in terms of how they watch tv. Instead of making excuses I wish they would just admit to this mistake.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

VistaVick wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:32 pm
It's true that at this point, there is no point developing another unit, we have to pray the 6 tuner will come out as some point. However, I'm sure the company knew well ahead of time the components for the old box were no longer going to be manufactured, the process for building and certifying a revised 3 tuner should have started a long time ago instead of just focusing on developing a brand new product. They gambled that they would have the 6 tuner ready so there would be endless months without a single cable card tuner product being for sale. They gambled and lost. Lost who knows how many customers who went in other directions in terms of how they watch tv. Instead of making excuses I wish they would just admit to this mistake.
This is incorrect. We started development on a PRIME4 when we still had the original PRIME in good supply, but then a similar issue happened to the PRIME4's design. We had to start from scratch again for the PRIME6. This was a very significant setback in time, development, and money, and those are not things we gamble with.

To quote James T Skywalker from StarGate, "it is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose".

zlandar

Post by zlandar »

I remember the original Prime being held up for months by Cablelabs which is run by the cable companies. The certification is a joke. The cable company devices get waved through while any 3rd party device gets stuck in limbo. Can’t have a threat to the rental box fee racket.

The Prime6 is launching into a very different market than the Prime3. Streaming services providing cable channels are widely available now. Cord cutting is a reality and even if the price of a internet + cable bundle is slightly lower than YTTV I’ll pay the extra to spite cable companies.