Just to expound a little on signcarver's response (and he's right, for general DVR functionality the regular software forum is probably the best place) ..
In this PVR, when adding a timer/rule from the Kodi EPG you have two options:
The first, "Record", will just set that one episode of a program to record on that specific channel. Even if the program has been recorded and deleted before, it will (should) still record for you.
The second option, "Add Timer", is there the flexibility lies. When selected, you will be presented with a dialog box with some options in it:
- Type - Record Series (default), or Record Once. Record Series sets up a typical multi-episode rule for the series, whereas Record Once sets up a one-time recording
- Name - self-explanatory and it doesn't matter if you edit this or not - the field has to be there, but the value isn't used for anything
- Channel - This allows you to limit the series to record on just the specified channel (default), "Any Channel", or any other specific channel. I have no way to limit the channels you see here, so if you pick a channel the series will never air on, nothing will ever get recorded.
- Prevent duplicate episodes - Record all episodes (default) says that you want every episode that has or will ever air for this series recorded. Note that as signcarver indicated, once an episode is recorded successfully if it is subsequently deleted without "Delete and Re-Record", it will never record again. Record only new episodes sets the rule to indicate only episodes of the series that air this calendar day or later should be recorded. Record only recent episodes indicates to just record the current (and subsequent) season(s) of the series.
- Start padding time / End padding time - Adds the specified number of minutes to either before the start of the recording or after the end of the recording. You can also set up a default for these in Kodi itself, the PVR obeys that, so it's typically set to zero, which in reality equates to 30 seconds of padding.
That's kind of the nickel tour on how to set up via the EPG. Setting up via Timer Rules is similar, but you need to enter a series name to search for, and potentially choose from a list of matches. Otherwise the basic options are the same.
One thing we can't currently do with series rules is cancel a specific episode of a series, although the HDHomeRun app's UI kind of implies that feature may be coming at some point. One common new user complaint/concern is that you can't do that. Unfortunately the best answer I have at this time if that comes up is to let it record and just delete it later.
It's also important to note that this PVR addon doesn't actually record anything; it's merely a conduit to the HDHomeRun DVR services. Everything you do here will also be accessible and editable from the HDHomeRun app, and vice-versa. If the options are set the way you want and they aren't behaving as expected, I can help make sure it's not a bug/defect in this code, and perhaps help to narrow it down, but most issues with things recording or not recording will likely need to be passed onto SD for triage. That's not a cop-out, I always assume problems are mine to fix first, but there will be times I may have to pass the proverbial buck