Network issue with finding the HD homerun

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
b123guy

Network issue with finding the HD homerun

Post by b123guy »

Hi Folks.. Seeking input suggestions on this....

Have a HD homerun quatro. No issues with it or setup.. But do have a strange issue that has come up that is puzzling me.

Network: internet is gig service with spectrum.
Internet modem connects to Ubiquity POE 5.
Wired side of my network connects to one port on the POE 5 and the wireless portion is connected via the next port on the POE (better throughput)
HD Homerun is connected to my main switch (16 port gigabit switch)
Wireless main router (Access point mode) is an ASus AX-88u
I have an Asus AC88u downstairs that connects to the main router, providing Internet to 1 Roku and other devices (via ethernet)
Everything is on one subnet.

My Roku upstairs connects via wireless (right now) to the main router, and has no issue finding, connecting ect the HD homerun.. works fine
My Laptop that has both the setup and the client has no issue wireless or wired.
Here's the problem.. the downstairs Roku cannot find/detect the HD device in this setup (it did when I had the main router connected to my main switch).

So leads me do believe it's a port issue... Have found some articles talking about this and it points to UPNP.. Asus says Upnp on by default.. and am finding no way in setup to adjust.

(I really need to not have the 2nd Roku on wireless) Any help suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

jseymour

Re: Network issue with finding the HD homerun

Post by jseymour »

You post is very confusing to me, and I used to do network design for a living :)

Is your Ubiquiti device an EdgeRouter PoE or a 5-Port TOUGHSwitch PoE?

If it's an EdgeRouter (which makes more sense--assuming the thing to which you refer as a "cable modem" is, in fact, a cable modem and not also your border router), and you really have everything on one subnet, may we safely assume you have the Ethernet ports to which your wired and wireless LANs are connection bound, rather than routed between each other?

Is the thing you first refer to as your "Wireless main router" a router or an access point? Because you refer to it as a router but you say it's in AP mode. Are the eight Ethernet ports routed or switched?

Is the Asus AC88u downstairs being run as a router or an access point? Are the Ethernet ports routed or switched?

When you say the downstairs AC88u connects to the "main router," to which device is it connected: The ASus AX-88u or the Ubiquiti device?

Bottom line: The only way you can have everything on one subnet is if you have one routed subnet on your side of your border router (a "border router" is the router between your LAN and the Internet). That means every other bit of networking gear on your LAN and WLAN has to be a switch or AP. There can be no additional routers on the LAN.

b123guy

Post by b123guy »

Sorry for any confusion.

Edgerouter POE

Main in Access point mode, downstairs is running in Media Bridge mode.

They are not routed but bound.

I didn't make adjustments of any sort on the downstairs router. Just put it in bridge mode and connected and worked..

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

Ok, well, no offense intended, but I've neither the time nor the inclination to study your Asus gear to figure out what you have to do to accomplish this, but both of those WiFi routers need to be turned into WiFi access points and, if the Ethernet ports can't be configured to run all in bridge mode, as opposed to routing, then nothing should be plugged into the WAN ports. That's the only way you're doing to get everything on one sub-net.

I'm guessing the WiFi device in the basement is actually routing, which is why the Roku associated with it can't see the HDHR tuner. They're on separate sub-nets.

b123guy

Post by b123guy »

No.. it isn't routing.. i have an xbox connected to the downstairs router that I have port forwards to that enable features.
Thanks for trying!

I wasn't asking for any troubleshooting on the routers... I'm looking for the ports I need to setup forwarding if i can or find another way to do this. I've found other posts on other sites of others with similar sort of issues. Just not alot of good information. (It does work when I have the main router in the ethernet switch, but stopped when I moved it to the ER.
I'll keep looking as I can, but if anyone else has any suggestions/tips, please share!

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

Ok, well, since you obviously know more about how this stuff works than I, I'll leave you to it, then. Good luck.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

Obvious question, but not clear: if you connect your laptop wirelessly, to the exact same router just like your downstairs Roku, reset the HDHomerun app and setup program, and run them again on the lapto, how does that work?

There is also no shortage of Google results about problems with ASUS Media Bridge mode. Some suggest trying repeater mode, although they still mention UPnP issues there too.
Last edited by tonywagner on Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

Also, I understand the HDHomerun packets have a TTL of 3. Do you think your setup may have only had 3 hops when your main router was connected to your main switch, but now it has more than that?

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

I suspect his problem is either his basement device, the device he keeps referring to as his "main router," or both as the problem.

SD's tuners use SSDP to facilitate UPNP. SSDP uses multicast to both solicit and advertise services. Normally, multicast packets are not routed. (If it was, the Internet would be a hot mess of multicast noise.) I would assume, though I do not know, HDHR tuners respond to SSDP multicast queries with unicast SSDP responses.

The problem with trying to port-forward SSDP traffic is: 1. You can't port-forward multicast traffic, because you can't port-forward to a multicast address, and, even if you could, it's not destined for the router's interface, anyway. 2. You can't port-forward unicast traffic because it won't be destined for the router's interface. 3. While is is possible to route multicast traffic, not every routing device is capable of doing so. 4. Furthermore: I would assume routing SSDP would destroy any UPNP capability on the device doing it.

When user's manuals and the like refer to enabling UPNP on routers and so-on, they're referring to enabling so-called "zero conf" capability on those devices, not enabling UPNP/SSDP to be routed or bridged or whatever.

Of course, ICBW. I am, sometimes. Not in this case, I think ;)