HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

ATSC 3.0 Forum
nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by nickk »

buffalotuner wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:36 am Has the sensitivity of the tuners in this product increased in comparison with the current Quatro?

I am wondering if I can expect any improvement in reception of far-away channels. I know the error correcting of ATSC 3.0 has been improved, I am asking in regards to ATSC 1.0 channels
There are multiple factors.

The first is small signal performance (test where the signal is clean but very very weak so you are testing the noise floor of the hardware). Both the HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO and HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K have very good small signal performance. Both out perform our older models.

The second is real world noisy signals where the demodulation has to deal with all the different types of outside noise. The weaker the signal the more outside noise matters.
We have found that different demodulators are better or worse at different types of noisy environments.
The QUATRO 4K uses a latest generation demodulator that we expect to perform well in most environments.

Nick

turns2stone

Post by turns2stone »

plnota wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:28 amHere in Dallas, KSTR on RF34 has been broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 since around the middle of last year. Unfortunately, there has been even less information about it than the Phoenix 3.0 tests. I grabbed one of the Dev units, very curious to see what they have been broadcasting.
Thanks, wish I understood Spanish! :P

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

Backer #1147 --- Now at $244,697 489% of the Goal!!! I believe this is getting built NICK !

I also vote for all (4) ATSC 3.0 Tuners

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

though wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:19 am How many different ATSC 3.0 channels will the new 4K Tuner be able to spit out simultaneously? Is it 2 or is it more?
According to the information at KS, it is currently 2 but they hope it to be 4 sub channels between the 2 ATSC 3.0 tuners (1.e. each tuner output up to 2 subchannels of the physical channel it tuned) ... most likely there will be ways to get the full mux (or even provide other filtering) by tuning the physical channel thus it "could" be more for some applications. Last I heard they expect each physical channel to be about 25Mbps but I have read that ATSC 3.0 could squeeze in 57Mbps per physical channel which with 2 tuners may end up being more than the 100Mbps ethernet port can handle.

I would love for the possibility to record from a single tuner ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, and PBS during prime time...

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

Nick,

Will this work? It appears to have balanced lo-loss across all three equally.
BAMF 3-Way Coax Cable Splitter Bi-Directional MoCA 5-2300MHz

Jeff

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

JDazell wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:51 pm Will this work? It appears to have balanced lo-loss across all three equally.
Looks good on paper.

though

Post by though »

Will Plex/Emby be able to play back ATSC 3.0 without transcoding on Android/Android TV?

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

I hope so as I will use it to replace my existing two-way connecting to my Scribe Duo and Connect Quatro, when I get this new ASTC Quatro.

Thanks, I'll update when it is in line.

Jeff
nickk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:09 pm
JDazell wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:51 pm Will this work? It appears to have balanced lo-loss across all three equally.
Looks good on paper.

jburman

Post by jburman »

Are you offering any coupon codes or discounts for existing products like the HDHomeRun duo for people that are backing the kickstart?

AzJazz

Post by AzJazz »

Will there be any way for PC DVR software (Plex, in my case) to detect the ATSC 3.0 broadcast in the data stream to prioritize that ATSC 3.0 it gets recorded instead of the ATSC 1.0?

Or, will this just happen naturally when the Quatro 4K gets tuned to a channel by Plex, like the Quatro would get tuned to ATSC 3.0 if it can find a signal, and then ATSC 1.0 if it can't?

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

though wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:12 pm Will Plex/Emby be able to play back ATSC 3.0 without transcoding on Android/Android TV?
If your Android device can play HEVC H265 video, then it shouldn’t have to be transcoded.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

AzJazz wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:54 pm Will there be any way for PC DVR software (Plex, in my case) to detect the ATSC 3.0 broadcast in the data stream to prioritize that ATSC 3.0 it gets recorded instead of the ATSC 1.0?

Or, will this just happen naturally when the Quatro 4K gets tuned to a channel by Plex, like the Quatro would get tuned to ATSC 3.0 if it can find a signal, and then ATSC 1.0 if it can't?
I don’t know Plex specifically, but most DVR software already has mechanisms in place to allow preferring HD broadcasts over SD. The same principle could be extended / re-used for preferring ATSC 3.0 channels over 1.0 channels.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

signcarver wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:41 pm
though wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:19 am How many different ATSC 3.0 channels will the new 4K Tuner be able to spit out simultaneously? Is it 2 or is it more?
According to the information at KS, it is currently 2 but they hope it to be 4 sub channels between the 2 ATSC 3.0 tuners (1.e. each tuner output up to 2 subchannels of the physical channel it tuned) ... most likely there will be ways to get the full mux (or even provide other filtering) by tuning the physical channel thus it "could" be more for some applications. Last I heard they expect each physical channel to be about 25Mbps but I have read that ATSC 3.0 could squeeze in 57Mbps per physical channel which with 2 tuners may end up being more than the 100Mbps ethernet port can handle.
ATSC 3 supports up to 4 PLPs per channel, and each PLP can use different modulations settings, so there's no straightforward answer of how much bandwidth any particular channel will have. A broadcaster could in theory use one PLP for a 4K broadcast of their main channel, which requires a better SNR than the typical 15dB that ATSC required (targeted at local viewers who get a great signal regardless of antenna, and more distant viewers with high quality antennas), a separate PLP with a 15dB SNR targeted signal (replicating their existing ATSC 1 coverage) for viewers in poor signal areas that perhaps carries the main service at 720p along with their SD subchannels, and maybe a third PLP targeted at even lower SNR for for mobile or other poor reception scenarios. That said, "about 25Mbps" is correct for a broadcaster using a single PLP at parameters set to replicate their ATSC 1 coverage. It's not a ton of extra capacity, but when combined with HEVC's massive improvement over MPEG2, it works out.
I would love for the possibility to record from a single tuner ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, and PBS during prime time...
That's one neat feature that Dish Network has, but it also means putting up with the mediocre picture quality they have, not to mention their love of getting in carriage disputes with literally everyone. My antenna has never gotten into a carriage dispute with any broadcaster.

buffalotuner

Post by buffalotuner »

nickk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:06 pm
buffalotuner wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:36 am Has the sensitivity of the tuners in this product increased in comparison with the current Quatro?

I am wondering if I can expect any improvement in reception of far-away channels. I know the error correcting of ATSC 3.0 has been improved, I am asking in regards to ATSC 1.0 channels
There are multiple factors.

The first is small signal performance (test where the signal is clean but very very weak so you are testing the noise floor of the hardware). Both the HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO and HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K have very good small signal performance. Both out perform our older models.

The second is real world noisy signals where the demodulation has to deal with all the different types of outside noise. The weaker the signal the more outside noise matters.
We have found that different demodulators are better or worse at different types of noisy environments.
The QUATRO 4K uses a latest generation demodulator that we expect to perform well in most environments.

Nick
Thanks Nick.

Based on your response I assume the sensitivity is the same as the current Quattro.

Has the demodulator been improved?

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank »

bluehorizon wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:24 am I ordered one.

Question: how will DVR solutions (e.g. JellyFin, Plex), etc. prioritize the ATSC 3.0 HEVC stream for either tuning or recording over the simulcast ATSC 1.0 MPEG stream?
Second this question