HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

ATSC 3.0 Forum
jseymour

Re: HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by jseymour »

Sammy2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:44 pm Yet one more reason to steer clear from apple:
Steer away, but there's a reason Apple doesn't allow HTML/JS on their platform. Personally, I regard that as an advantage.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Based upon this:
Here in Phoenix the major networks are sharing a single ATSC 3.0 physical channel. We expect to see a similar approach in other markets where broadcasters share one or two physical channels broadcasting ATSC 3.0 content.
It would appear the expectation is that multiple broadcasters will share a few ATSC3 specific physical channels. Since the tuners can be tuned to a physical channel to receive the full unfiltered mux, operating in this manner would make more sense to use fewer tuners while enabling receipt of multiple channels. If the above is correct, it would be feasible to receive 2 or more different ATSC3 streams using a single physical tuner.

With the above information, this statement seems to be in contradiction:
The Ethernet port is 100baseTX (100Mbps).

The HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K supports streaming 4 virtual channels at once.... 4 channels won't max out a 100Mbps link.
What is the bandwidth of a full mux of ATSC3 content? A quick search seemed to indicate 57Mbps, while another showed that a single physical ATSC3 channel can carry 4 programs, which seems to be about 4x15Mbps, roughly. If both ATSC3 tuners are receiving a full mux, and both ATSC tuners are likewise receiving a full mux (~20Mbps), that would indicate that the full bandwidth would be just under 160Mbps. While it would be unlikely that this bandwidth limit would be reached in practice, it still seems a bit odd to artificially limit the device's capability.

Or will the new device only allow virtual channel tuning of ATSC3 channels, such as with encrypted channels on the Prime?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

LrngToFly wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:35 am Will SiliconDust eventually be supporting the Quatro 4K with their own Apple TV app?
From the Kickstarter FAQ:
Apple TV is expected to play most video content, however Apple TV will not support ATSC 3.0 interactive content.

Playing ATSC 3.0 video content will require a third party app such as Channels.
It seems that SiliconDust has no plans to support Apple TV. (Or does this only extend to ATSC3 channels, and that a tvOS app is indeed on the way, but it will not support viewing of the ATSC3 channels?)

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

rpcameron wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:37 pm It seems that SiliconDust has no plans to support Apple TV. (Or does this only extend to ATSC3 channels, and that a tvOS app is indeed on the way, but it will not support viewing of the ATSC3 channels?)
SD's been promising support for Apple TV for at least the two years I've been around here. I don't know as I'd hold my breath at this point ;)

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

rpcameron wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:37 pm It seems that SiliconDust has no plans to support Apple TV. (Or does this only extend to ATSC3 channels, and that a tvOS app is indeed on the way, but it will not support viewing of the ATSC3 channels?)
We can't support all ATSC3 features on Apple TV (the interactive stuff), but viewing "normal" ATSC3 channels will work on Apple TV, and getting an official HDHomeRun app of some kind (for all of our products, both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0) is still a priority for us.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

NedS wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:57 pm
We can't support all ATSC3 features on Apple TV (the interactive stuff), but viewing "normal" ATSC3 channels will work on Apple TV, and getting an official HDHomeRun app of some kind (for all of our products, both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0) is still a priority for us.
Perhaps a clarification then would be best. Because based upon the FAQ entry, it reads that ATSC3 channels would only work with third-party apps.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

rpcameron wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:16 pm Perhaps a clarification then would be best. Because based upon the FAQ entry, it reads that ATSC3 channels would only work with third-party apps.
Not sure I follow. At the moment we don't have any app for Apple TV, so for any HDHomeRun one does need to use a third party app.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

NedS wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:49 pm
rpcameron wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:16 pm Perhaps a clarification then would be best. Because based upon the FAQ entry, it reads that ATSC3 channels would only work with third-party apps.
Not sure I follow. At the moment we don't have any app for Apple TV, so for any HDHomeRun one does need to use a third party app.
The FAQ seems to indicate that because ATSC3 includes some interactive components that require HTML/JS, that SD will be unable to deliver a tvOS app. The further mention of third-party apps, such as Channels, further implies that SD does not plan to support ATSC3 on tvOS (when or if an app becomes available).

menkelis

Post by menkelis »

Will new Quatro 4K box play nice with existing Quatro box on same network?
Will current HDHomeRun DVR software talk to eight tuners?
BTW I also am backing the Kickstarter project.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

menkelis wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:50 pm Will new Quatro 4K box play nice with existing Quatro box on same network?
Yes
menkelis wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:50 pm Will current HDHomeRun DVR software talk to eight tuners?
Yes
menkelis wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:50 pm BTW I also am backing the Kickstarter project.
Thumbs up!

ATSCWatcher

Post by ATSCWatcher »

rpcameron wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:37 pm
LrngToFly wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:35 am Will SiliconDust eventually be supporting the Quatro 4K with their own Apple TV app?
From the Kickstarter FAQ:
Apple TV is expected to play most video content, however Apple TV will not support ATSC 3.0 interactive content.

Playing ATSC 3.0 video content will require a third party app such as Channels.
It seems that SiliconDust has no plans to support Apple TV. (Or does this only extend to ATSC3 channels, and that a tvOS app is indeed on the way, but it will not support viewing of the ATSC3 channels?)
Channels has given my HDHomerun devices new lives. I can watch live TV and sports originating from across the country without the need for a transcoding HDHomerun tuner. The Channels DVR runs on and records from my Synology NAS. It eliminated the need to run a separate computer with attached hard drives. I can watch and schedule on the web, iPhone, AppleTV. The setup and use of their system is so easy and worth the service fees they charge. They also appear ready to add support for these tuners when they arrive.

None of this is possible without the tuners themselves... which I can't wait to try out.

Jjjordanov

Post by Jjjordanov »

PoE, pretty pleeeeease.

n9lya1

KS HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by n9lya1 »

I am in.. Thanks Nick for the opportunity.

I pledged the Developers Edition..
:D

I do have a question... Can I still connect my 2 Extend along with the Quatro 4k using a three way splitter?? I realize signal strength may suffer and may need to not do so.. But I would like to try.

Good day to all!

Jerry

nickk
Silicondust

Re: KS HDHomeRun QUATRO 4K for ATSC 3.0

Post by nickk »

n9lya1 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:41 pm I do have a question... Can I still connect my 2 Extend along with the Quatro 4k using a three way splitter?? I realize signal strength may suffer and may need to not do so.. But I would like to try.
Confirming yes.

Note that almost all 3-way splitters are internally a 2-way splitter with another 2-way splitter connected to one side. That means one output is twice as strong as the other two outputs.

Monster used to do a 3-way splitter which was a true blanaced 3-way spliiter. Not sure it is still available.

You might as well get a 4-way splitter - then all 4 outputs will be the same and no worse than 2/3 of the outputs on the non-Monster 3-way splitters.

Nick

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

I use a 4 outlet Motorola amplified splitter that's bidirectional and rated for cable and satellite use. Had it and a smaller version for years with no issues unless it gets unplugged. Everything on my X1 cable box works and the Prime is happy. You can find it on Amazon and probably ebay for a decent price.