Automatic Deletion of HDHomeRun DVR Recordings

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
HEJohnsonJr

Automatic Deletion of HDHomeRun DVR Recordings

Post by HEJohnsonJr »

Is there any plan to add a feature to HDHomeRun DVR to define criteria for automatically deleting DVR recordings, say after so many days/weeks since recorded, or after so many episodes recorded? This would be a very helpful feature, eliminating the need to have to periodically delete recordings manually, one by one, in order to prevent storage space from filling up without limit.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Automatic Deletion of HDHomeRun DVR Recordings

Post by NedS »

No firm plans at the moment, but I would love to hear if more users feel this would be a valuable feature. There are certain situations that make a lot of sense for automatic deletion, such as the daily news.

sspell

Post by sspell »

Well! just about every DVR out there has this limiting the amount of episodes and automatically deletes them. I'm really surprised you are not aware of that NedS. Yes it is a wanted and valuable feature...

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

I've been asking for that feature myself, I just want to demonstrate to the boss that others are as well ;)

sspell

Post by sspell »

NedS wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:58 am
I've been asking for that feature myself, I just want to demonstrate to the boss that others are as well ;)
10-4

HEJohnsonJr

Post by HEJohnsonJr »

I would ask that any others reading this thread who agree that this is a needed feature - Please pile on to add your vote!

ehanson23

Post by ehanson23 »

+1

Also, is there a plan to be able to see the storage capacity/free information for each DVR in the client app? I can see that info in the 'DVR Status' page in my.hdhomerun.com, however, it would be great to see that info in the 'recordings' tab of the client. Would help for managing space a little better. An alternative could be: check that information when loading the recordings tab and display a warning if there is <10% remaining? Just some thoughts....

wtg
Device ID: PRIME 131A6C2B

Post by wtg »

NedS wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:53 pm
No firm plans at the moment, but I would love to hear if more users feel this would be a valuable feature. There are certain situations that make a lot of sense for automatic deletion, such as the daily news.
Another vote.

It's a basic feature of virtually any DVR. This missing feature is made even worse by what a pain it is to actually delete a bunch of recordings in the UI.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

I am for it as well.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

I like the concept, but would like to be able to tag individual series with a rule that may be different than a global rule. For example, I would always want to keep my kid's programming available, much of it dates back years at this point. I'd rather miss a new recording than lose one of those on her.

The rules would need to be persisted/maintained on the backend as opposed to the individual DVR engine instances and need to have a reasonable way to handle multiple DVR engines, as they will all have different available storage. Today recordings show up as an aggregate from all the available engines, I can see some possible weirdness when recordings for a series have been spread out over multiple engines .. even if all available storage is accounted for before invoking a deletion rule, how would the DVR handle it if one engine that had a ton of free storage is down but one that is completely full is still up?

As long as it can be properly controlled through the HDHomeRun app (and programmatically for other applications), is granular enough to allow sub-configurations to exist, and all the use cases (mainly multiple DVR engines) are considered, you have my vote!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

The way I do for people is to use two fields (preferably on the back end but currently for web based ones I keep a cookie/local storage later merged into the json of retrieved rules), one field for episodes to keep 0 or not defined/null means to keep all (thus not added to the seriesID's to loop through to delete), and another for whether it is by date recorded or by date aired. then if over the amount of episodes it deletes the extras... I personally never make this automatic as too often such a feature has burned me deleting something I hadn't watched so I always make the user accept that it is ok to "clean" if on "automatic prompt" and often also display a message of exactly what will be deleted so it can be canceled. Since my web based utilities keep a default to rerecord or not it uses that but I have often though that should be a 3rd field to keep in the rule info. I had not tried to look for Resume to see if it has been played but that is another that might be kept as well as one for until space needed. Because I am paranoid of what gets deleted I often will get the file list(s) again to ensure id's in the command didn't change. I also typically allow such control of running the cleanup to be on a per engine basis as often I find I want to clean just one NAS if low on space.

Again personally I have never liked any auto delete function provided by any DVR as typically I have never seen one that runs exactly how I like it on each series even when given such control by series. But I think it would be very helpful to developers to define some "needed" fields on the list of rules on SD's servers (similar how we can set AfterOriginalAirdateOnly or ChannelOnly) to help carry out such and then later be able to either set config of the engine to auto delete (as it may need space and you may have an archive server you never want to delete from) and/or eventually give a cleanup option in the client. I would prefer some option that though the data is there to store such values that something else chooses that it actually acted upon and just isn't automatically always done based on those fields. (i.e. a line in the engine config stating AutoDelete=1)

mike808
Device ID: (K) Extend 10522C9A ; Quatro 10740D6C

Post by mike808 »

+1. All of the HDHRs competitors have this feature. Usually a "# of recordings" with a default of "keep all" (e.g. 0) setting.
Some DVRs have the ability to configure how long you want to keep the recordings when you schedule it. They also have a visual indicator when viewing your library to let you know that the recording is approaching its pre-scheduled deletion date, and you have the ability to change that or turn it off (i.e. "keep forever") entirely.

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra »

wtg wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:26 am
NedS wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:53 pm
Another vote.

It's a basic feature of virtually any DVR. This missing feature is made even worse by what a pain it is to actually delete a bunch of recordings in the UI.
Agree.... good feature to have with an on off switch for those that don't want it enabled in their environment.

PghCordCutter

Post by PghCordCutter »

I would love that feature. I know Plex has this feature (but I can't stand Plex LIVE TV). I agree, it would be great for daily recordings like the news and late night TV shows.

cmcfarla

Post by cmcfarla »

I agree an option to limit the number of episodes is sorely lacking. I regularly run into an out-of space situation, and presently, I delete from directly from disk, because it's a pain to delete every episode in a series. (and frankly, I don't think to delete as I watch.)

Thinking about my previous use of DVRs, and contrasting it with my current use, I personally would like to see a "keep for x days" type of an option as a per-task setting. (w/ configurable defaults somewhere, so that we don't have to make changes regularly :D )