Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by djp952 »

tredman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 pm
Do you have plans for a tvOS version, with it becoming an officially supported platform.

Picking up an Apple TV tomorrow, so happy to do any testing if needed.
Back to this one, my apologies for dropping it temporarily. Given that tvOS is like iOS in that I would have to dismantle and repack the official Kodi package, I am afraid that it's probably not in the cards, at least not anytime in the near future. I do still do the "repack" thing with UWP, and used to do it with Android until Leia came around, but it's a bad way to go. As Fuzzard indicated, it is pretty difficult to set up and get right, but difficult isn't really the problem for me. (If it ain't hard, why do it, right?)

Doing things this way what you end up with is a Kodi-like package. It will still say Kodi, and it will technically be the same exact software, but the user has no way to guarantee that. Any mistake on my part would end up being reported to Kodi, but it's not their package to support -- technically this would be a fork. I'm not sure how tvOS will be distributed, but if it comes from the App Store like Android and UWP does, updates get all messed up too. Let's say Kodi 18.7 comes out, you actually need to wait for me to get it and repackage it before you can install it. There can't be any automatic updates since it's not the same package.

I am also aware that Apple has become more strict about application and package signing, which is a good thing, but does add a bit of complication for me. To give you something installable without hacking it up or making you trust a root certificate (this step is needed on UWP today), I would need to apply for and maintain a proper Apple developer ID. It's speculation on my part here, but I imagine that Apple's rules would prevent me from taking someone else's code and pretending it's mine. I don't want to tick off Apple even moreso than I don't want to tick off Kodi :)

I know this seems like a lot of justification instead of just saying "no, sorry", but I wanted to make sure you knew why for now I have to say "no, sorry".

:(

The BEST way to handle this is for me to get back to trying to port some of the features to the official pvr.hdhomerun addon for y'all. We tried one (Recordings), but it didn't work out quite as hoped. Will try that one again soon since I did learn the bug I thought I caused wasn't related. There is a cool new inputstream in Matrix that allows for most, if not all, of the tricks I play with HDHomeRun RECORD to work now!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

One more note from this week for the Matrix folks. Earlier in the week a new PVR API version was approved and started appearing in the Matrix Nightlies, which will make the current addon incompatible. I have the changes made but am holding off on a Matrix release since there is another API version pending that looks like it's about ready to go and may find it's way into the Nightlies in a day or two.

If anyone is looking for a new Matrix build due to incompatibility errors please let me know, it's not a big deal to cut one for you. If we can wait until the new API version is ready that will prevent needing to issue two one-off releases in rapid succession. But again, happy to do it if it will help anyone out.

> Current Matrix addon will break with nightly release 80475cb5 (20200317) and newer.

This API change is relevant for this PVR in that it changes how the new Matrix Original Air Date indicators are displayed. Before it was reported as a Unix epoch value and adjusted for timezone, the data we have here is always just a date based at 00:00 UTC, so if you live west of Greenwich, England the date displayed will be one day in the past. The change requires the PVR addon to set this as a string, so Kodi will display whatever the addon asks it to, therefore it should be right moving forward. It also allows the addon to decide if a program is "New" or not rather than relying upon the Original Air Date, and fixes up some things regarding how Season and Episode values can be set by the addon. The upcoming change increases the number of flags that can be set for EPG entries and recordings to allow Kodi to display indicators like "Premiere", "Finale", etc. I'm not sure our EPG data has these to use or not, but if we do I'll hook them up for us. Really good stuff all around.

tredman

Post by tredman »

djp952 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:48 pm
tredman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 pm
Do you have plans for a tvOS version, with it becoming an officially supported platform.

Picking up an Apple TV tomorrow, so happy to do any testing if needed.
Back to this one, my apologies for dropping it temporarily. Given that tvOS is like iOS in that I would have to dismantle and repack the official Kodi package, I am afraid that it's probably not in the cards, at least not anytime in the near future. I do still do the "repack" thing with UWP, and used to do it with Android until Leia came around, but it's a bad way to go. As Fuzzard indicated, it is pretty difficult to set up and get right, but difficult isn't really the problem for me. (If it ain't hard, why do it, right?)

Doing things this way what you end up with is a Kodi-like package. It will still say Kodi, and it will technically be the same exact software, but the user has no way to guarantee that. Any mistake on my part would end up being reported to Kodi, but it's not their package to support -- technically this would be a fork. I'm not sure how tvOS will be distributed, but if it comes from the App Store like Android and UWP does, updates get all messed up too. Let's say Kodi 18.7 comes out, you actually need to wait for me to get it and repackage it before you can install it. There can't be any automatic updates since it's not the same package.

I am also aware that Apple has become more strict about application and package signing, which is a good thing, but does add a bit of complication for me. To give you something installable without hacking it up or making you trust a root certificate (this step is needed on UWP today), I would need to apply for and maintain a proper Apple developer ID. It's speculation on my part here, but I imagine that Apple's rules would prevent me from taking someone else's code and pretending it's mine. I don't want to tick off Apple even moreso than I don't want to tick off Kodi :)

I know this seems like a lot of justification instead of just saying "no, sorry", but I wanted to make sure you knew why for now I have to say "no, sorry".

:(

The BEST way to handle this is for me to get back to trying to port some of the features to the official pvr.hdhomerun addon for y'all. We tried one (Recordings), but it didn't work out quite as hoped. Will try that one again soon since I did learn the bug I thought I caused wasn't related. There is a cool new inputstream in Matrix that allows for most, if not all, of the tricks I play with HDHomeRun RECORD to work now!
No problem and thanks for looking into it.

I definitely agree, would be awesome if you could port recordings into the official addon.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:16 pm
Earlier in the week a new PVR API version was approved and started appearing in the Matrix Nightlies, which will make the current addon incompatible.
Thanks for the heads up. It looks like Milhouse 0316 was the last build for the RPi before PVR API 6.2.0 so I'll just stay on that one until they get the API straightened out.

cminarik

Post by cminarik »

Update: In your suggestions, you mentioned checking to see if HDHomeRun View contained the missing recordings.

I had not checked that because I don't use it regularly. When I did check it, I got a message that said "No DVR Configured". I know that's not true, but just to be sure, I started up HDHomeRun Config and verified that it was in fact, configured. Not knowing what else to do, I uninstalled and re-installed the HDHomeRun software, reconfiguring DVR support.

Now, I still get the message that "No DVR (is) Configured" in HDHomeRun View, but I am getting recordings showing up in KODI now!!!

I suppose if I did a more complete uninstall, deleting a folder somewhere, a re-install would get HDHomeRun View working properly, but I'm not really very worried about it, as long as KODI is working properly.

Thank you again for all your helpful time and suggestions...Chuck

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

cminarik wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:50 pm
Now, I still get the message that "No DVR (is) Configured" in HDHomeRun View, but I am getting recordings showing up in KODI now!!!
The No DVR Configured message is normal for the old HDHomeRun "View" program. It was designed before they had a DVR.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Again just for the Matrix folks -- PVR API v6.3.0 has been made official and I am ready to support it when it's needed. Changes have already been made, but not released.

My problem with Matrix right now is that recent nightlies have broken some things, at least on Windows. I don't want to push an auto-update that might force users into upgrading to a bum Kodi version. I am looking into the problems on Windows tonight with the hope of getting them resolved ASAP.

That said, if anyone wants/needs a new Matrix build to support PVR API v6.3.0, I'm good here. Just let me know.

jhford

New Installation

Post by jhford »

I currently have the Krypton APK version 3.1.1 version installed on my Fire TV Stick. I just moved and want to install the latest version, because when I run 3.1.1 using my Spectrum cable card most channels like CNN, MSNBC, etc. are encrypted and unviewable. I have been using ABDLink to push/install the APKs from my Windows laptop to the Fire TV Stick. So, I'm a bit spoiled. I've never installed from Zip before and ABDLink can't seem to handle it.

1. Can someone help me install the Leia zip which I've downloaded?
2. Will the now encrypted channels no longer be encrypted, or is that a Spectrum issue?

Thank you

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Never an issue for just "encrypted" channels the prime itself handles decryption.

If you were referring to DRM Protected channels, that will never work in kodi. It also won't work on any amazon firetv products until amazon fixes things that can ensure DRM protection (probably never).

jhford

Post by jhford »

signcarver wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:52 am
Never an issue for just "encrypted" channels the prime itself handles decryption.

If you were referring to DRM Protected channels, that will never work in kodi. It also won't work on any amazon firetv products until amazon fixes things that can ensure DRM protection (probably never).
Perhaps I wasn't clear.
1. How does one install the new Leia version of the app, which, apparently, no longer supports APK, on a Fire Stick?
2. My current install in showing virually ally 500+ channels as DRM. Will the new version fix that?

djp952

Post by djp952 »

jhford wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:57 pm
signcarver wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:52 am

Perhaps I wasn't clear.
1. How does one install the new Leia version of the app, which, apparently, no longer supports APK, on a Fire Stick?
2. My current install in showing virually ally 500+ channels as DRM. Will the new version fix that?
Hi! The easiest way on Android is to use adb to push the .zip to the /sdcard folder. Then you can install it from Kodi by browsing to that (typically will be called "External Storage" from within Kodi). I've never used ADBLink, but you don't "install" it, you just need to get the .ZIP onto the device somewhere that Kodi can find it. With regular command-line adb it can be as simple as:

Code: Select all

adb connect {ip address}
adb push {zip file} /sdcard/

If there is a browser or file download app on your FireStick, you can also just download the .zip with that. Whatever gets it on there is fine, no special permissions needed anymore.

As for the DRM channels, that flag is provided by the channel lineup(s) of the tuner(s). If it's flagged as DRM by the tuner the addon won't include that channel since there is no way to play it. Per signcarver's comment, looks like there is no way to do DRM channels at all on FireSticks.

If the channels aren't actually DRM, perhaps a channel re-scan on the tuner might help. The addon can't make this determination on it's own, it needs the tuner to tell it. If the channels are indeed DRM, there isn't really anything that can be done :(

edit: saw the part about just moving, so ignore the channel re-scan, clearly you've done that. Not sure what your options are with Spectrum.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

The Matrix nightlies now require PVR API version 6.3.0. This release is just for Matrix ...

Version 3.2.1a (March 29, 2020)
  • (Matrix) Adapt to Kodi PVR APIs v6.2.0 and v6.3.0
Downloads: The Matrix auto-update manifests were messed up for about 20 minutes (wrong PVR API version), so there is a chance that your Kodi instance grabbed the bad file(s) and refused to update. I corrected it as soon as I found the problem, hopefully given the small number of Matrix users out there this won't be a problem. If it is, you can either wait about 48 hours for Kodi to go out and regrab the manifest(s), or you can uninstall/reinstall the addon manually to clear out the cache. The oversight was mine, if you have been bitten by this I apologize. It's hard to test how auto-update will work until you get the necessary files out into the public :(

Ken.F

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:27 pm
The Matrix nightlies now require PVR API version 6.3.0. This release is just for Matrix ...

The PVR addon itself seems to be working fine on Matrix. I don't know what they did but navigating the grid EPG is painfully slow on my RPi2 now.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Ken.F wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:53 am
djp952 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:27 pm

The PVR addon itself seems to be working fine on Matrix. I don't know what they did but navigating the grid EPG is painfully slow on my RPi2 now.
They recently made some UI changes that caused problems with mouse input, perhaps it was related? I saw the person testing a reversion of that had problems with EPG that were resolved. The revert to fix whatever that problem was will be in tonight's nightly, it was committed a couple hours ago.

If the next build doesn't resolve it, probably best to open an Issue about it for them, or at least a post on the forums. My fear is that the answer might be "get a newer RPi", but if it's a defect the sooner they know the sooner they can fix it.

jarrah

Post by jarrah »

Hi Michael,

Is it possible to have the Kodi EPG Guide channel numbers match up with what HDHomeRun shows please? I've had a look at the wiki and done an initial search in this thread but not found an answer to this yet.

For example, HDHomeRun shows BBC HD channels starting at 101, whereas the same channels start at 83 within the Kodi TV PVR client. It looks like it doesn't take into account gaps in the channel listings and therefore stacks all available ones in numerical order?

Ideally I'd like the channel numbers matching up please because Freeview defines 101 as the BBC One HD channel on any TV or device (all other channels have pre-defined numbers too), so it would be beneficial to match them up.

Also, is it possible to change the channel names to match those seen in HDHomeRun please?

Thanks!