HDHomeRun F/W 20200225 - Windows Media Center very slow to find tuner

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
gratefuldad2000

HDHomeRun F/W 20200225 - Windows Media Center very slow to find tuner

Post by gratefuldad2000 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:27 am

I updated my HDHomeRun Prime firmware from last years to the current 20200225 a few days ago through the device's web interface. Ever since then I have been having trouble getting accessing my tuners from WMC if the tuners have been off for a while. FYI, nothing else has changed with the PC or my network, and signal strength is 100% and quality ~95%.

WMC just displays the "Viewing or Listening Conflict" message, but it eventually goes away by itself. Initially it took several minutes during which WMC claims no tuners are available. The HDHomeRun app worked fine though. I downloaded and installed the latest Windows software, and I launched the HDHomeRun Setup App and verified that BDA is still configured for Media Center. I clicked apply anyway and WMC found the tuner almost immediately. Everything looked fine until a few hours later WMC failed to record a show because it couldn't find a tuner. I was able to manually tune into the channel though and record. This morning I checked and the dreaded "Viewing or Listening Conflict" message came up again and it took a good 30 seconds or so before it went away and found the tuner.

Long story short, accessing tuners from WMC has become very unreliable and frustrating after installing the latest firmware. How can I troubleshoot and fix this?

Thank you!

jasonl
Expert

Re: HDHomeRun F/W 20200225 - Windows Media Center very slow to find tuner

Post by jasonl » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:05 pm

Update the software on the PC to the latest version as well and see if that helps. https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/

3ton

Post by 3ton » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:45 pm

You might need to redo windows media center setup.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:58 pm

I just had something very similar happen to me. I updated both my Primes' firmware on Saturday and re-scanned for channels with both Primes. But I noticed today that I couldn't get video/audio on a LOT of channels anymore. I found that rebooting both my tuning adapters fixed my issue.

gratefuldad2000

Post by gratefuldad2000 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:19 pm

I tried turning on live TV again after work and the tuner wouldn't activate at all. I rebooted the tuner, the PC and the Orbi it's connected to (all via lan not wifi) but it didn't help.

Then I ran the Hdhomerun Windows software installer again and ran Repair. Still no luck. Hdhomerun viewer isn't even working anymore. It shows the channels on the right, jumps to some other channels, and then the whole screen just goes black.

The last thing I tried finally made a difference. I rebooted my Orbi router, waited until it stopped blinking and by the time I got back to the family room WMC showed live TV. Hdhomerun viewer still has issues though.

Phew, crisis averted for now. We live right in the area with the Corona virus deaths and the TV not working wasn't really going over well with my wife.

I just don't know how long this will last. I guess I'll see tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the advice so far!

gratefuldad2000

Post by gratefuldad2000 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:33 pm

Still the same problem. The Prime doesn't show up with the other devices in the Network node of File Explorer like it used to - neither on my Windows 7 Media Center nor on a Windows 10 laptop. The router sees it just fine, and I even gave it a static IP address hoping that it would speed up discovery of the tuner. The device web page via IP works fine too as does the tuner detection in the HDHomeRun Setup app. I even pressed Repair Windows Components.

Is there a way to reset the device and/or put the previous firmware on it to see if it makes a difference?

gratefuldad2000

Post by gratefuldad2000 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:23 pm

And out of desperation I tried setting the BDA Compatibility Mode to "Default" instead of "Media Center" and guess what, Media Center found the tuner immediately. And the black screen on the HDHomeRun viewer turned out to be a display driver problem.

Of course, I again don't know how long this will last. Is there any disadvantage to running Media Center with the Default BDA Compatibility Mode? I don't even know what that means to be honest.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:42 pm

BDA would not affect anything as CableCARD doesn't use the BDA system anyway. What you effectively did was restart the WMC receiver service and force a tuner discovery.

We're reviewing things to see if we can identify any potential causes of issues in WMC.

3ton

Post by 3ton » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:23 pm

I have no idea if this might be your problem, but make sure the network settings in the computer has not changed. I have had problems where I changed my router settings and then the computer switch from private (home) lan to a public lan and it causes havoc everywhere.

gratefuldad2000

Post by gratefuldad2000 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:42 am

Yes, you're right @jasonl. I can confirm that the BDA setting had nothing to do with it as WMC was unable to connect to the tuner again this morning. This time I simply launched the HDHomeRun viewer, which woke up the tuner (no WMC receiver service restart involved here I would think). And after that WMC was tuning in channels just fine.

@3ton, all of this started after I upgraded the firmware and I hadn't made any network changes until I started troubleshooting this problem. I will take another look at the private vs public lan settings though.

Anyway, I have a feeling that with the latest firmware the tuner goes to sleep after some time (the top two LEDs remain lit green at all times though) and when that happens WMC is no longer able to wake it up - only the HDHomeRun software can.

gratefuldad2000

Post by gratefuldad2000 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:27 pm

Well, apparently launching the HDHomeRun viewer to wake up the tuner was just a coincidence. The only reliable way for me to make the initial connection is by clicking Apply in the HDHomeRun Setup. After that it works fine unless the tuner hasn't been used for several hours, such as overnight.

FYI, my Network is still set to the Home Network profile, and it looks like the tuner never shows up under Explorer's Network node on Win7, even when WMC does find it. Apparently that only works on Win10.

That brings me back to the original statement that with the latest F/W Win7 WMC is very slow to find the tuner, at least after it hasn't been used for a while.

gratefuldad2000

Post by gratefuldad2000 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:02 am

This morning I tried to restart the Media Center Receiver service to trigger the connection to the tuner - didn't work. Clicking Apply in the HDHR Setup software didn't work either. HDHR viewer worked though. So I rebooted the PC and tried tuning in a channel again. I let it sit and after ~5 minutes it finally connected to the tuner and showed the live TV. I even disabled sleep on the network card from device manager hoping that it will make a difference but given that it takes so long to find the tuner after a fresh boot I don't thing that will make a difference.

Needless to say, my wife is starting to get a bit unhappy with the situation and asked if I need new equipment. That would be great if I knew it would help but without knowing what's wrong that's hard to tell. What else can I do to troubleshoot this?

gratefuldad2000

Post by gratefuldad2000 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:50 am

Here is another observation I made. This happens only after the WMC PC has gone to sleep or rebooting. I turned off sleep and it keeps detecting the tuner just fine - even on the next day. However, that's really not a good long-term solution as it wastes energy and heats up the cabinet it's in non-stop.

Is there anything in the current firmware that could affect the initial handshake between the two?

dkhokhlov

Post by dkhokhlov » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 am

I have 2 HDHomeRun Prime boxes. Upgraded only one to 20200225. Now it takes ~ 5mins for WMC to detect box with 20200225 after poweron. Box with old FW is detected by WMC fast as before.

Silicondust support - what is going on with this long discovery delay? Known issue?

gratefuldad2000

Post by gratefuldad2000 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:14 pm

@jasonl,

Now that it indeed looks like a regression cause by the last firmware, could we please get an update that rolls back the changes in 20200225 since we cannot rollback to an older version ourselves? Or do you think you may have a real fix in the near future?

Thank you.