QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Re: QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik »

Removed - see OP for correct version and link
Last edited by demonrik on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psuKinger
Device ID: 13254099; 13219F42

Post by psuKinger »

Anybody else on here having any problems with HDHR DVR? My issue is difficult to pin down and isn't happening *everywhere*. Some of my devices, my Android (pixel 2) phone, this Win10 Laptop that I'm typing on right now, at least one of my 2015 nvidia shield's, appear to be working fine. But some of my devices, including my 2019 nvidia shield that I use/rely on in my main living room, gives me a "protocol error" messages.

I ask here only because I'm using this QNAP DVR engine (kind of unique), and I took a QNAP failure last week that I've spent the time since rebuilding from (wiped everything clean from a JBOD config, loaded all my content back up in a RAID 5 config, and intalled the newest QNAP DVR engine back on)... prior to my QNAP failure, on the older engine I had installed, everything was running fine, and now on my rebuild it isn't.

It's hard to reconcile how it can work on some devices and not others... and I can't say for certain that the problem is related to this DVR engine... I'm kind of feeling around in the dark and wondering if anyone else was either having problems with this engine OR knew something about running the engine on a QNAP that's in RAID 5.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

You have your DVR set to record to record to /share/Multimedia/HDHomeRunDVR/ and this location either does not exist or has permissions set on it such that the DVR can't access it. It's been this way since the DVR was restarted at 4:17pm last Sunday. Prior to that it was started at 3:36 and it was able to access that same location at that time.

psuKinger

Post by psuKinger »

jasonl wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:23 pm You have your DVR set to record to record to /share/Multimedia/HDHomeRunDVR/ and this location either does not exist or has permissions set on it such that the DVR can't access it. It's been this way since the DVR was restarted at 4:17pm last Sunday. Prior to that it was started at 3:36 and it was able to access that same location at that time.
Thanks and good catch! Very dumb of me! But, I'm having an awful hard time reassigning it to /share/Recordings. The second post indicates that the first default would be that?
demonrik wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:12 pm Recordings Folder
By default the recordings are going to be placed a HDHomeRunDVR subfolder in one of the following locations depending on what is detected by the installation script - in order:
  • /share/Recordings
  • /share/Multimedia
  • /share/Public
  • <QPKG base folder>
You can change this in the UI by updating the Record Path and then restarting the record engine.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the DVR engine several times. And have a (Y Drive) "Recordings" folder for it to crease the HDHomeRunDVR subfolder in... that's how I had it originally before my crash, and I suppose I'd prefer it to be organized that way again (if for no other reason than my OCD), any idea why I can't get it to manually default to that address on reinstall?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

psuKinger wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:06 pm
jasonl wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:23 pm You have your DVR set to record to record to /share/Multimedia/HDHomeRunDVR/ and this location either does not exist or has permissions set on it such that the DVR can't access it. It's been this way since the DVR was restarted at 4:17pm last Sunday. Prior to that it was started at 3:36 and it was able to access that same location at that time.
Thanks and good catch! Very dumb of me! But, I'm having an awful hard time reassigning it to /share/Recordings. The second post indicates that the first default would be that?
demonrik wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:12 pm Recordings Folder
By default the recordings are going to be placed a HDHomeRunDVR subfolder in one of the following locations depending on what is detected by the installation script - in order:
  • /share/Recordings
  • /share/Multimedia
  • /share/Public
  • <QPKG base folder>
You can change this in the UI by updating the Record Path and then restarting the record engine.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the DVR engine several times. And have a (Y Drive) "Recordings" folder for it to crease the HDHomeRunDVR subfolder in... that's how I had it originally before my crash, and I suppose I'd prefer it to be organized that way again (if for no other reason than my OCD), any idea why I can't get it to manually default to that address on reinstall?
first if reinstall,not remove it will always use existing RecordPath..
it should remove the config on uninstall

could be your system has removed the Recordings setting. actual check is

Code: Select all

if [ ! $SYS_RECORDINGS_PATH == "" ] && [ -d $SYS_RECORDINGS_PATH ] ; then
		HDHR_REC_PATH=$SYS_RECORDINGS_PATH/HDHomeRunDVR
so if system is missing recordings path it will try next one.
if you install through command line 'sh <package>' it will report out the resolved path

you can always change the RecordPath manually in the UI.. just remember to set up permissions and restart engine

psuKinger

Post by psuKinger »

demonrik wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:57 pm

if you install through command line 'sh <package>' it will report out the resolved path
*noob* question here, but where do I enter that sort of command line text?

demonrik wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:57 pm you can always change the RecordPath manually in the UI.. just remember to set up permissions and restart engine
Every time I change the RecordPath manually in the UI, and then close and reopen that UI, the path has been changed back to the original path...

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

psuKinger wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:31 am
demonrik wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:57 pm

*noob* question here, but where do I enter that sort of command line text?
Yeah - is a fairly advanced usage.
You need to ssh to your NAS
download the QPKG to a folder, e.g. /share/Public
then sh that package as described.. it will produce a good bit of output that will give some indicators if there is an issue.
I would only do this if you are running into install issues.
demonrik wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:57 pm you can always change the RecordPath manually in the UI.. just remember to set up permissions and restart engine
Every time I change the RecordPath manually in the UI, and then close and reopen that UI, the path has been changed back to the original path...
You MUST hit the update button after entering in the record path.. this forces the write of the file.
If you don't then reopen the API just rereads the file again.
at same time you should stop/start the engine for the change to take hold. I would encourage stop the engine, delete any log files in the new recordpath, then start.. refresh of UI should list a new log file indicating all is good.

Jjjordanov

Post by Jjjordanov »

It's probably more of a QNAP issue, but you somebody might know the answer:

I have a dedicated QNAP to record from HDHR CONNECT. I don't have any complaints about the setup, but decided to delete two of the shows I had recorded. Total of more than 200GB. I deleted both their folders from a Windows computer using the smb share and free space on the QNAP did not nudge at all. Any idea why and how I should do this in the future? I did it this way, because there were at least 100 recordings. Maybe there is a way to "re-scan" the NAS free space or something?

Thanks
JJ

goofnroxx

Post by goofnroxx »

Jjjordanov wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:39 pm It's probably more of a QNAP issue, but you somebody might know the answer:

I have a dedicated QNAP to record from HDHR CONNECT. I don't have any complaints about the setup, but decided to delete two of the shows I had recorded. Total of more than 200GB. I deleted both their folders from a Windows computer using the smb share and free space on the QNAP did not nudge at all. Any idea why and how I should do this in the future? I did it this way, because there were at least 100 recordings. Maybe there is a way to "re-scan" the NAS free space or something?

Thanks
JJ
Do you have network recycle bin turned on on your NAS? You might just need to empty that.

Jjjordanov

Post by Jjjordanov »

goofnroxx wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:06 am
Jjjordanov wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:39 pm It's probably more of a QNAP issue, but you somebody might know the answer:

I have a dedicated QNAP to record ...
Do you have network recycle bin turned on on your NAS? You might just need to empty that.
I was not sure if you were sarcastic so I decided to check it and what'd ya know - there is Network Recycle Bin... I'll be damn...

Thank you, @goofnroxx :oops:

Joebob256

Post by Joebob256 »

I upgraded to HDHomeRunDVR-0.10.6.qpkg and now when I try to open the App from the desktop shortcut on the QNAP NAS I get "refused to connect".

Strangely, if I right click on the shortcut and "Open in new browser tab" QNAP HDHomeRun DVR Manager App opens in the new tab.

Before I upgraded I could open the HDHomeRUnDVR app on the QNAP NAS by clicking on the QNAP Desktop shortcut instead of right clicking the shortcut and choosing "Open in new browser tab".

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Joebob256 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:21 pm I upgraded to HDHomeRunDVR-0.10.6.qpkg and now when I try to open the App from the desktop shortcut on the QNAP NAS I get "refused to connect".

Strangely, if I right click on the shortcut and "Open in new browser tab" QNAP HDHomeRun DVR Manager App opens in the new tab.

Before I upgraded I could open the HDHomeRUnDVR app on the QNAP NAS by clicking on the QNAP Desktop shortcut instead of right clicking the shortcut and choosing "Open in new browser tab".
No idea why it suddenly happened
But check out viewtopic.php?p=186338#p186338 'No UI in QTS Desktop - web server is running'

Joebob256

Post by Joebob256 »

I don't know enough about apache to edit the apache.config. The safest thing for me to do is use: "The workaround is to use the direct URL <ip of NAS>/HDHomeRunDVR". I seldom go into the UI but needed to after the upgrade to change the RecordPath. Thanks!

vandey

Post by vandey »

Does this engine have an auto start feature? I regularly restart my NAS and dont want to have to fiddle around with going into the NAS and starting the engine every time.

goofnroxx

Post by goofnroxx »

vandey wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:42 am Does this engine have an auto start feature? I regularly restart my NAS and dont want to have to fiddle around with going into the NAS and starting the engine every time.
Yes, it should be persistent.