Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

jarrah

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by jarrah »

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here, but I'm seeing the following error when I try to install the add-on:

Add-on couldn't be loaded, an unknown error occurred.

I have a fresh install of 18.5 Leia on a MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.15.3.

I've followed the instructions found here to install the zip file stored in my Downloads folder: https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... -Kodi-Leia

The file I'm using is: zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr-osx-x86_64-leia-3.2.0.7342.zip

The error from the Kodi log is:

Code: Select all

2020-02-20 21:56:12.051 T:123145508433920   ERROR: Unable to load /Users/me/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/pvr.hdhomerundvr/zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr.dylib, reason: dlopen(/Users/me/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/pvr.hdhomerundvr/zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
                                                /Users/me/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/pvr.hdhomerundvr/zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr.dylib: code signature in (/Users/me/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/pvr.hdhomerundvr/zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr.dylib) not valid for use in process using Library Validation: mapped file has no cdhash, completely unsigned? Code has to be at least ad-hoc signed.
                                                /Users/me/Library/Application Support/Kodi/addons/pvr.hdhomerundvr/zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr.dylib: stat() failed with errno=84
2020-02-20 21:56:12.193 T:4763188672 WARNING: CGUIMediaWindow::OnMessage - updating in progress
2020-02-20 21:56:13.291 T:123145508433920   ERROR: UpdateAddons: Failed to create add-on HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client, status = 5
I also tried the previous version just in case (3.1.1) but that had the same error.

Thanks.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

I'll have to look into this, based on the message I may have to add some level of self-signing to the package.

This hasn't come up before, it may be a security setting in MacOS as well. I'm not really an Apple guy but I'm sure we can figure it out. I do have an old Mac Mini to play with, so I can probably duplicate it.

Can't really give you an ETA yet, hopefully I can get it set up tonight and see what's what. I do maintain a signing key for the project that will likely be fine to use here.

I'll let ya know! Sorry it didn't work out of the box!

jarrah

Post by jarrah »

Thank you for looking into it, there's no rush as I was planning on testing out what appears to be a fantastic add-on that you've developed for HDHomeRun on my laptop. My aim is to use this on a Raspberry Pi as a useful way of watching and recording live TV seeing as the official add-on can't do this.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

jarrah wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:44 am
Thank you for looking into it, there's no rush as I was planning on testing out what appears to be a fantastic add-on that you've developed for HDHomeRun on my laptop. My aim is to use this on a Raspberry Pi as a useful way of watching and recording live TV seeing as the official add-on can't do this.
I updated the ol' mini to Catalina 10.15.3, and actually didn't run into any problems. To make sure I bark up the right tree, can you help me with some details?

> Where did you acquire and install Kodi from, was it the official .dmg file from kodi.tv?
> Did you have to make any changes in the Security preferences to install Kodi, and if so, did you revert them?
> May I have a copy of a full kodi.log file? (I'll PM you an e-mail address you can use, or you can paste to paste.kodi.tv, it's legit since it's a log file)

My guess at this point is that the new security features in Catalina are in play. It appears that modules need to be signed by either an author trusted by Apple, or have the same signature as the application hosting the module. Why it isn't happening to me is a mystery still, perhaps there are better security features available on newer hardware, or more likely, since this system has been upgraded (many) times, a new setting/feature didn't apply.

I'll look into what it would take to get the .dylib file signed and see if it breaks my Mac or not, and also have a look over at Kodi to see if any other addons are having similar issues. I also see that Kodi can opt into allowing unsigned modules, not sure if it's doing that or not (hence the question if you are using the .dmg from them or from another source)

edit: Known Issue: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/17244. Not sure if I would need Kodi's signing key to resolve this or not. Details as they become available.

edit 2: The problem doesn't happen for me since I installed Kodi on the mac prior to them redoing the .dmg files to implement Notarization. You can also get around the problem by using a current Kodi Leia "Nightly" build, those do not have Notarization enabled, so the addon will load. Now I should be able to duplicate it :)

bzz

Bulk Channel Logo Remapping

Post by bzz »

I'm finding that the channel logos with the transparent backgrounds provided by Silicon Dust are looking less than stellar on many Kodi screens. Black text on a dark background as an example. I see Kodi has a setting where a path to local channel logos can be found. I also see that I can use the channel manager to apply custom channel logos one channel at a time, but this is quite tedious.

I'm wondering if there is an option to have Kodi use the channel logos in the local folder I specify instead of the ones from Silicon Dust.

Really enjoying the add-on! Keep up the good work!

djp952

Re: Bulk Channel Logo Remapping

Post by djp952 »

bzz wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:37 pm
I'm finding that the channel logos with the transparent backgrounds provided by Silicon Dust are looking less than stellar on many Kodi screens. Black text on a dark background as an example. I see Kodi has a setting where a path to local channel logos can be found. I also see that I can use the channel manager to apply custom channel logos one channel at a time, but this is quite tedious.

I'm wondering if there is an option to have Kodi use the channel logos in the local folder I specify instead of the ones from Silicon Dust.

I think there is a way in Kodi, not sure ATM what that is. Perhaps in the Channel editor?

It would also be possible to come up with something in the PVR to tell Kodi to look wherever we want it to. We'd have to come up with some naming convention and add a way to specify where the files are, but otherwise all the PVR does is hand over a URL to Kodi.

Let me work on the MacOS thing a bit first, then I can cycle back to this!

bzz

Post by bzz »

djp952 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:56 pm
bzz wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:37 pm

I think there is a way in Kodi, not sure ATM what that is. Perhaps in the Channel editor?

It would also be possible to come up with something in the PVR to tell Kodi to look wherever we want it to. We'd have to come up with some naming convention and add a way to specify where the files are, but otherwise all the PVR does is hand over a URL to Kodi.

Let me work on the MacOS thing a bit first, then I can cycle back to this!
Thanks for considering the option! I didn't see anything in the channel manager for a "bulk remap" but you can set each channel logo individually. If you have a lot of channels with iffy logos, setting the logo image for each channel, on multiple devices is time consuming.

I think you could get the location from the "Folder with channel icons" option in Kodi (estuary skin) > Settings > PVR & Live TV > Menu / OSD . There's also a "Scan for missing icons" action that does appear to scan my channel lineup.

The naming convention I typically see for channel logos is the channel logo image name should match the channel call letters. As an example, channel CCHD would match for an image named CCHD.jpg, CCHD.png, CCHD.gif, etc.

Interestingly enough, I have a couple channels without logos from Silicon Dust. If I use the Kodi "Scan for missing icons" action, and have an appropriately named image in the location specified in the Kodi "Folder with channel icons" option, the local image is used. Manually assigned & missing logos appear to survive a reboot & re-scan.

Perhaps all we need is a boolean option to "Use channel logos from tuner". If this is false, don't import the channel logo path from Silicon Dust and it appears Kodi will already do the rest. If this is true, just use the current process.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Nice detective work! Yes I think a simple "don't provide channel logo urls" would work. Easy too!

I hope to figure out MacOS one way or another this weekend then will jump on that.

jarrah

Post by jarrah »

djp952 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:02 pm
edit 2: The problem doesn't happen for me since I installed Kodi on the mac prior to them redoing the .dmg files to implement Notarization. You can also get around the problem by using a current Kodi Leia "Nightly" build, those do not have Notarization enabled, so the addon will load. Now I should be able to duplicate it :)
Super, thanks for finding that issue and for looking into it!

djp952

Post by djp952 »

jarrah wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:28 am
Super, thanks for finding that issue and for looking into it!
No worries! Unfortunately, the answer has been elusive. I've gotten as far as getting my certificate over to macOS and finding directions on how I can manipulate it from Linux after running the requisite tools from XCode, but I didn't set the certificate up for code signing, so I hit a brick wall. I think I'll have to make a new certificate with the right properties and try again. I can always sign up to be a legit Apple Developer, but I don't know if that will be any better/worse than self-signing the .dylib file.

For now, I'm afraid the best I can offer is indeed to install Kodi using a .dmg from before January 16th, 2020 or use a "nightly" .dmg file that omits the Notarization and signing features.

I happen to work with a big-time Apple nerd, I'm going to consult with him tomorrow on this. macOS and I just don't get along :)

djp952

Post by djp952 »

It's all bad news so far for MacOS, gang. I've reached out to the developer that made the change to Kodi for his/her take on this, but I did manage to get everything signed and the addon still won't load since it wasn't signed with Kodi's Apple Developer certificate. You just get a different error.

My outlook on this is officially poor. I have a feeling that this isn't going to change, and from now on only binary addons that were built as part of Kodi will work moving forward, and that will be that for this platform.

For the foreseeable future, MacOS will require use of a "Nightly" build instead of the formal ones. This is less than ideal as you never know what you're going to get with a nightly. Having a .DMG from prior to January 16th, 2020 also counts.

:(

djp952

Post by djp952 »

bzz wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:19 pm
Perhaps all we need is a boolean option to "Use channel logos from tuner". If this is false, don't import the channel logo path from Silicon Dust and it appears Kodi will already do the rest. If this is true, just use the current process.
Hey bud. I tried this out, it seems to work fine. Question for you though, at what point is Kodi replacing your channel logos with the defaults from the PVR again? I didn't run into any specific problems with this, the logo I set (a picture of my kid) seemed to persist. Just wondering if there is a bug in Kodi that maybe I could help with, I haven't added a PR in at least a few weeks.

I have no problem with the option, and it will be in the next version. Tinkering with verbiage as usual, and I have a hangup about defaulting optional things as "true", so it will be a negative like "Don't report backend channel logo information". It will do what you want regardless!

FWIW, this option put too much in "General", so I'm adding a new category called "Interface" and moving settings that manipulate how data is displayed by Kodi into there. This option will be "General" :)

bzz

Post by bzz »

djp952 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:22 pm
Hey bud. I tried this out, it seems to work fine. Question for you though, at what point is Kodi replacing your channel logos with the defaults from the PVR again? I didn't run into any specific problems with this, the logo I set (a picture of my kid) seemed to persist. Just wondering if there is a bug in Kodi that maybe I could help with, I haven't added a PR in at least a few weeks.
Kodi isn't replacing the channel logos that I set manually so I don't think there's a bug to be found. I'm just looking for a better way to manage channel logos in bulk across many devices. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I'm happy to test, currently running 18.5 on Win 10 pc's.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Updates on recent things:

- Kodi is working on a way to allow third-party addons to load again on macOS. I have no details yet, but they indicated that they've got something that should work and are dealing with the details. For now, we're still in "use a nightly build" or "don't update Kodi" pattern. I have volunteered to test anything they've got when they've got it. I am much more optimistic about this now, they honestly didn't know that the changes would cause this. It was done to support "Catalina" properly, which is why it became retroactive for all of Kodi Leia.

- The new options are available for a potential beta (disable channel logos, enable firmware update notifications), but aren't ready yet due to resource issues on my dev PC *.

* I'm unfortunately still in the throes of dealing with the fallout of my recent NAS problems and it's pretty much impossible to rip the Blu-Rays (all legit, thank you) that I didn't have the space to back up before trashing my array and run Kodi at the same time since it LOVES to scan any disc that happens to be inserted and causes complete BD drive havok. I have 251 discs to redo, I'm on number 114 :( I intend to take a break at the half-way point and actually see if these changes look good enough to send out for comments.

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen »

We had a power outage yesterday while Kodi and my HT computer were running. The link between Kodi and the storage location for the PVR seems to be broken now. That is, when I go to recorded TV in Kodi, there is no recorded TV, and when Koki records something, it appears to be "lost". That is, Kodi normally populates the program after a few minutes or so in the storage location. This does not occur, and also the fast forward or back no longer works. (You can pause live TV for a while, but you can't go back or forward.)

I installed the latest version of HD Homerun software. Did not help.

HD Homerun is storing on my Unraid NAS. I do not know if that is an issue or not.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can debug this?

Thank you.