Support for new Verizon Stream Android Box

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
tonyimp0707

Support for new Verizon Stream Android Box

Post by tonyimp0707 »

Any guidance regarding the new Verizon Stream. It is an Android TV device. Looks like a Mi Box.
Any idea if we will be able to access the HDHR App without sideload?

jasonl
Expert

Re: Support for new Verizon Stream Android Box

Post by jasonl »

Probably. Generally, the only restrictions we put on the HDHomeRun app in the Play Store are blocking countries that have no actual users to cut down on bogus reviews. We haven't tested it so I don't know how well it works, but just based on the specs I'd expect it to be better than the MiBox and Jetstream since it's using the SoC that was designed to replace the one in the MiBox and Jetstream.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

I can report that Verizon Stream TV box works fine with HDHR and DRM channels also works fine.

Compared with the Jetstream box it replaces:
* the Verizon box is much thicker than Jetstream and lacks USB or microSD card slot. Not a big deal for me but could be a deal breaker for some as it lacks storage expansion capability.
* So far the Verizon box seems smoother but not a lot difference yet compared to the Jetstream.
* Verizon box is Android Pie (9) compared to the Jetstream's Andoird 8.
* Netflix/Amazon Prime Video/Disney+ are equally supported on both.
* Jetstream's remote is nicer and On/Off button works on the box itself (then powers on/off TV via HDMI CEC). Verizon's remote have extra IR buttons for controlling TV's volume, input and power On/Off. The remote On/Off button does not seem to work on Stream box itself but HDMI CEC makes it work anyway. I could be wrong but I put these boxes in a drawer so that IR won't work. I can power on/off Jetstream via remote just fine but can't power on/off Verizon Stream TV without using the IR to powering on/off TV first.
* The biggest problem for me so far is that the bluetooth remote is not yet supported by Harmony remote. So, I can't really use my Harmony with it.

Update: I used Asus Nexus Player as bluetooth device in Harmony setup and it seems work fine after I paired the hub with the Stream TV box.

tonyimp0707

Post by tonyimp0707 »

Thanks so much for the heads up foxbat! That is great to hear. IR remote is a nice touch.