OTA Missing Channels (HDTC-2US)

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
zeronothing

OTA Missing Channels (HDTC-2US)

Post by zeronothing » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:12 am

Hi Everyone

About 2 months ago I lost about 15-20 OTA channels. I have tried many channel scans and nothing seems to bring back the channels. Whats interesting is the channels I'm missing are my top half channels starting with channels in the 30s through the 50s. Now my TV is right next to my HDTC-2US and if I remove the coaxial cable from my HDTC-2US and plug that into my TV. When my TV runs a channel scan all of the channels I missed on my HDTC-2US are now working on my TV. All of my other TVs in the house have no problem viewing all the missing channels the HDTC-2US can't view. My Device info is below:

Model: HDTC-2US
Device ID: 105076D7
Firmware: 20190621

Now I know my device is older but is the tuner out of date? Do the newer modules have better tuners? Another interesting piece of information is I have a Channel Master Stream+ device. Which is the Android TV box with a TV tuner built into it. It also lost the ability to tune in those top half of the channels as well. so my HDTC-2US isn't the only device having problems. But all of my TVs in the house work no problem. None of the top half channels are below a 65% signal on all of my TVs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: OTA Missing Channels (HDTC-2US)

Post by jasonl » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:36 pm

The signal strength on all of your UHF channels is very low. However, your two VHF channels (WTVD 11.x and WNCN 17.x) are both coming in with excellent signals. The large disparity in signal levels would tend to point to an issue with the antenna or wiring. What kind of antenna are you using?

zeronothing

Post by zeronothing » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:25 pm

My TV antenna:

Brand/Model: RCA ANT751E

I'm also using a preamplifier:

Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT HDTV Preamplifier

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Something isn't right then. There's no way there should be that much of a disparity in signal levels with that antenna and that amp. Have you checked to make sure the amp is still getting power, and climbed up on the roof and checked to make sure the wiring is still in good shape? I'd suspect a problem with the balun or maybe some damage to the coax that is letting water in.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:08 pm

I have seen some online pictures of that antenna not have the uhf loop/bowtie but typically i would not expect that to be the issue.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Voxx are idiots and have sold 2 completely different antennas under the RCA ANT751 name, although the new one is technically the ANT7511. Furthering their idiocy, the new one's box has a picture of the old one on it. The old (better) one has the Winegard tetrapole as the UHF driven element, while the newer one is just a regular dipole. Besides the tetrapole, the easiest way to identify the difference is that the old one has the mast clamp all the way at the back of the boom, while the new one has the clamp between the VHF elements. The new one is a bit weaker performance wise but it's still one of the better sub-$50 antennas out there.

zeronothing

Post by zeronothing » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:48 pm

I was able to take a look at the preamplifier. Power is getting to the preamplifier. If I unplug the power I lose access to even more channels on all of my devices not just the HDTC-2US. So judging by that simple test I would assume the preamplifier is ok. Tomorrow I'm going to get the ladder out and check the antenna. I might just buy a new transformer/balun for the heck of it. seems like that is a cheap part to buy. Does anyone have a recommendation on transformer/balun? I will update tomorrow.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Channel Master CM-94444 or Winegard TV-2900

zeronothing

Post by zeronothing » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:24 am

[Update]

I was able to get up on the roof and check my antenna and its connections. Everything looked fine but I went ahead and ordered a new transformer/balun and replaced my old one. I now seem to get most of my channels back but still not all of the channels that my TVs pull in. The one channel I'm trying to fix is my local FOX station. Using the FCC DTV reception page shows me that station is only about 7 miles from my house. My local ABC, NBC, and CBS channels are only about 6-7 miles from my house and in the same direction as my local FOX channel and they come in beautifully. which makes this problem a head scratcher.

zeronothing

Post by zeronothing » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:38 pm

[Update]

So I decided to go up on the roof and reposition the the antenna. I managed to get the "signial quality" 6-8% better. which means a steadier none pixelated picture. I just don't understand why my local CBS and NBC stations "signal quality" is 95-100% when it shares the same tower as my local FOX station. The "signal quality" for my local FOX station is 68-73%.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:44 pm

NBC is about 60' higher up the tower than Fox, so that may be the difference between line of sight and non line of sight reception if there are obstructions between you and the tower.