TypeError: Cannot read property 'StartTime' of Undefined

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
Hoopster

Post by Hoopster » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:43 pm

I am starting a new topic on this because this bug report has been buried in another Fire TV related thread and none of the recent UI updates have done anything to address it. I continue to see this error when launching the HDHomeRun app on my 2nd Gen Fire TV cube. The error occurs during well more than 50% of my launch attempts and only a restart of the Fire TV Cube fixes it.

I am currently running version 20200121 of the app and version 20200128 (beta) of the UI. The crash just happened again for the third time today upon launching the app.

Here's what I see when the app crashes upon startup on my Fire TV Cube:

in n
in t
in n
in div
iin t
in div
in div
in t
... more repeats of the above

Hoopster

Re: TypeError: Cannot read property 'StartTime' of Undefined

Post by Hoopster » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:46 pm

Any way I can roll back to the "old" UI on the Fire TV Cube? The HDHR app is now crashing with the error in the first post almost EVERY TIME I attempt to launch it; especially after it has not been accessed for a few hours. I have to reboot the Cube to fix it.

My wife is getting very upset that she has to reboot the cube almost every time she wants to use HDHR on the main TV. I had two years of zero issues with HDHR prior to this new UI.

I must be the only one experiencing these crashes (or the only one using the HDHR app with the new UI on the 2nd Generation Fire TV Cube) and it must be unique to my setup. I have zero issues with the HDHR app on iOS (phones and tablets) or PC (laptop and desktop) devices.

I have two HDHR devices on my LAN with the following IDs:

104AE4F2
104CD958

Send diagnostics information is selected on both as well as in the app.

I did notice in looking at the system logs that it is reporting UTC time in the logs rather than my local time which is -7 UTC.

It seems that that longer it has been since I last accessed the app, the more likely it will crash. Once it has successfully launched, I can go to another app/service and come back to HDHR within a few minutes and it usually launches fine. If it has been an hour or so or overnight, the first launch will almost always result in the error and crash.
Last edited by Hoopster on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoopster

Post by Hoopster » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:52 pm

On the off chance that anyone from SiliconDust is actually reading this thread, I just discovered that if I go into Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications and select Delete Data on the HDHomeRun App, I can launch the app again without restarting the Cube.

I don't know if corrupt data causes the crash or if the crash causes corrupt data. Since this is the first time I have deleted the data on the app, I'll have to see over time if it has any affect on the crashes.

I may have already moved to the Channels app if it didn't cost $25 just to see if it is problem free on the Cube.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:04 pm

I'm sorry for not replying sooner. It sounds like a bug we are tracking where the app fails after being open for a long time. I'm guessing in your case when you switch out of the HDHomeRun app, it's not actually closing the app, and so you're seeing the same issue as if you had the app fully open the whole time. Maybe some kind of memory leak or something (I'm not a programmer, so that's just a guess on my part), but our developers are working on finding and fixing the problem.

Hoopster

Post by Hoopster » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:15 pm

NedS wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:04 pm
I'm sorry for not replying sooner. It sounds like a bug we are tracking where the app fails after being open for a long time. I'm guessing in your case when you switch out of the HDHomeRun app, it's not actually closing the app, and so you're seeing the same issue as if you had the app fully open the whole time. Maybe some kind of memory leak or something (I'm not a programmer, so that's just a guess on my part), but our developers are working on finding and fixing the problem.
Thanks for the reply. This sounds plausible and, yes, the app is not likely actually closing when I switch to a different app. I'll just wait to see if a future update has a resolution.

Hoopster

Post by Hoopster » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Still an issue. If the app has been open a long time, it will fail with the error when launching again. I am trying to train everyone to exit the app fully instead of just switching to a different app, but old habits die hard; especially since this was never an issue in the previous app before the new UI.