Odd behavior first time opening slide guide.

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Re: Odd behavior first time opening slide guide.

Post by Thunderthud » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:48 pm

Don't know how you can't see this and other issues with slice guide. It happens constantly,. Shield, MiBox, Firestick, Windows 10.

mimmic

Post by mimmic » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:08 pm

Just adding that I am also experiencing this issue. Multiple times a day. Only way to resolve is quit the app. I’m using a shield tv 2015.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 pm

Thunderthud wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:48 pm
Don't know how you can't see this and other issues with slice guide. It happens constantly,. Shield, MiBox, Firestick, Windows 10.
Once we tested with more than 200-300 channels, the issue (at least the main one being talked about here) became immediately noticeable. The development team has this as a high priority fix.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:15 pm

make sure they are testing with 600+, with multiple devices each with somewhat unique lineups (due to the way the scan works).

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:20 am

Hmm. I have a legacy ATSC tuner in the mix. Perhaps that influences the issue.

(I prefer the legacy model as by (SDs) nature it is omitted from the recording pool. I'll update it to a new one when I have the option to omit the new tuner from the pool.)

Thunderthud

Post by Thunderthud » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:59 am

This is still happening. Might be my imagination, but seems much more frequently. Has become a major irritation. Any word on when a fix is expected? My wife is quite frustrated with this, which adds to my frustration as well. Thanks!

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:19 am

NedS wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:09 pm
mcewinter wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:32 am
For what it's worth, my standard channel Comcast lineup is edited to omit duplicates. I may have one or two channels that have since populated that need to be removed but otherwise my lineup is rather streamlined. I don't believe editing the lineup should be a suggested fix.
Nah, not a suggested fix, just an explanation on why we didn't see it right away. We want to be able to support all channel lineups, duplicate or not, which have a large number of channels.
Added: Although if you and/or the other members of your team have a cable box in your home then you're not using your app the same way that I or many others here use your product. "Mission Critical"
I don't follow...
I'm saying that if you or the other members of the team have Cable Company equipment aside from a cablecard in your homes, then you are likely circumventing your own software at least some of the time. My mind is a little blown at what anomalies get past you guys.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:27 am

mcewinter wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:19 am
NedS wrote:
mcewinter wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:32 am
For what it's worth, my standard channel Comcast lineup is edited to omit duplicates. I may have one or two channels that have since populated that need to be removed but otherwise my lineup is rather streamlined. I don't believe editing the lineup should be a suggested fix.
Nah, not a suggested fix, just an explanation on why we didn't see it right away. We want to be able to support all channel lineups, duplicate or not, which have a large number of channels.
Added: Although if you and/or the other members of your team have a cable box in your home then you're not using your app the same way that I or many others here use your product. "Mission Critical"
I don't follow...
I'm saying that if you or the other members of the team have Cable Company equipment aside from a cablecard in your homes, then you are likely circumventing your own software at least some of the time. My mind is a little blown at what anomalies get past you guys.
I'm sorry, but this still doesn't make any sense to me. I have Comcast and I use an HDHomeRun PRIME with CableCARD, and every day I watch at least something live and something recorded, using the HDHomeRun app.

What am I "circumventing", and what is the relevance of that?

Thunderthud

Post by Thunderthud » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:55 am

Ned, thank you for responding to this thread. Good to know that someone is monitoring the forum.

However, this slice guide mis-behavior has become a major annoyance. It is also happening not just on first across. It is happening frequently on multiple devices. I haven't heard anything about this being addressed and when we might see some fixes.

Thanks.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:00 am

NedS wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:27 am
mcewinter wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:19 am
NedS wrote:

I don't follow...
I'm sorry, but this still doesn't make any sense to me. I have Comcast and I use an HDHomeRun PRIME with CableCARD, and every day I watch at least something live and something recorded, using the HDHomeRun app.

What am I "circumventing", and what is the relevance of that?
Okay. Do you also have a cable box or any other Comcast equipment such as a DVR? Do any of the other SD team members have anything other than a Cablecard? That's all I'm asking. I hope and expect the answer to be "no".

Per your statement above, it sounds like you use your product very little.

Also: Pressing back has failed to get out of the app the last couple of days. Are you seeing this too?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:10 pm

mcewinter wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:00 am
Okay. Do you also have a cable box or any other Comcast equipment such as a DVR? Do any of the other SD team members have anything other than a Cablecard? That's all I'm asking. I hope and expect the answer to be "no".

I do not use Comcast's cable equipment. My personal setup at home includes a PRIME, a 4th generation CONNECT, and a SCRIBE Quatro. I do sometimes use the unofficial "zuki" Kodi DVR add-on for the HDHomeRun DVR, and scanning in the recording directory in Kodi's library, for certain things (it's really easy to select a show and have it play a random episode while I'm doing other stuff), but I make it a point to use the HDHomeRun app on a daily basis. I watch new episodes in the HDHR app, I make and manage recordings there, and watch live TV there. This is both for casual usage off-the-clock, and for troubleshooting specific issues that are brought to my attention through support tickets.
Also: Pressing back has failed to get out of the app the last couple of days. Are you seeing this too?
I am not seeing this issue. Can you tell me which platform this is happening on, if you are using the release UI or beta UI, and an example of when it happened? The UI is rendered like a web page, and different platforms can expose different bugs, even different versions of operating systems can cause different issues.

EDIT: I want to clarify, we are not happy with the current performance of the HDHR app. We are aware that an unacceptable amount of bugs are reaching customers and not being caught in our internal testing. However, it is not due to us not using our own product. We are expanding our testing methods, and looking into options to better improve quality control in the entire development process.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:38 am

NedS wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:10 pm
mcewinter wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:00 am

I do not use Comcast's cable equipment. My personal setup at home includes a PRIME, a 4th generation CONNECT, and a SCRIBE Quatro. I do sometimes use the unofficial "zuki" Kodi DVR add-on for the HDHomeRun DVR, and scanning in the recording directory in Kodi's library, for certain things (it's really easy to select a show and have it play a random episode while I'm doing other stuff), but I make it a point to use the HDHomeRun app on a daily basis. I watch new episodes in the HDHR app, I make and manage recordings there, and watch live TV there. This is both for casual usage off-the-clock, and for troubleshooting specific issues that are brought to my attention through support tickets.
I am not seeing this issue. Can you tell me which platform this is happening on, if you are using the release UI or beta UI, and an example of when it happened? The UI is rendered like a web page, and different platforms can expose different bugs, even different versions of operating systems can cause different issues.

EDIT: I want to clarify, we are not happy with the current performance of the HDHR app. We are aware that an unacceptable amount of bugs are reaching customers and not being caught in our internal testing. However, it is not due to us not using our own product. We are expanding our testing methods, and looking into options to better improve quality control in the entire development process.
Everything you said is a little more assuring to me. As you can tell, I'm on the frustrated end of the scale. I use your software everyday, very often in more than one room. I didn't get stuck in your app in the last 24 hours but I'll take note as to when it happens. It seems to occur the more I navigate around; leaving live TV to do this or that within the app and then going back to live TV and then finally attempting to exit.

Added: My point to the SD team using the software at home regularly is so you also experience the same frustrations we do in terms of general usage, bugs aside. Leaving live TV to access other functionality, lack of recording options like recording to a specific channel (mentioned in another thread), navigating the discover section which lacks any sort of order, no access to TV without internet connection (mentioned numerous times but now has another thread opened on the subject), are some of the frustrations one might experience from using your app, that is unique to your app. I find it hard to believe that your team doesn't share some of these frustrations unless they are biased or simply don't use the software in their home.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 am

So I was not able to exit out of live TV this morning after having the app run for probably over 24 hours.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:27 pm

Can we get an update on where you stand getting this bug fixed, SD? This thread was opened in mid-December and it's now mid-February without a fix.

jasonl

Post by jasonl » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:53 pm

All development work on the UI in the last 2 weeks has been focused on improving performance when large numbers of channels are present and on improving remote functions.