HDHR Dual finally dying?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
feh

HDHR Dual finally dying?

Post by feh » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:09 pm

I've been using my trusty HDHomerun for 10+ years. In the last week, it has started acting flaky, and I wonder if it's failing...

I'm using it in conjunction w/ Kodi (running on a R Pi), and the PVR software (tvheadend) says it can't get a signal from it. Using the HDHomerun gui app (running on linux), I can get it to tune to stations (OTA is all I'm using it for), but the Symbol Quality % bounces all over the place. It seems like right after a reboot it's good for 10s of seconds, but then it begins exhibiting the same behavior.

I've tried all the firmware between 2015 and the most recent; none of them make things better (in fact, if I use the most recent 20170930, the box reboots whenever it tunes to a station).

So, first of all - is there anything else I can try to get it working again? And if it is failing, what is an inexpensive device I can use to replace it? Again, I'm only interested in OTA ATSC, but it needs to integrate w/ Kodi.

Thanks!

jasonl

Re: HDHR Dual finally dying?

Post by jasonl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:23 pm

Have you tried a new power supply? The symptoms are consistent with a failing supply.

feh

Post by feh » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:27 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:23 pm
Have you tried a new power supply? The symptoms are consistent with a failing supply.
No, I haven't. I'll have to check the specs and see if I have something appropriate laying around the house...

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:31 pm

feh wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:09 pm
So, first of all - is there anything else I can try to get it working again?
When electronics go flaky, always check the power first (especially if this a 10 yr old power brick). Since few (i.e. nearly no people here) have the necessary lab bench to actually test the power brick under the necessary loads, the usual approach is to just try another power brick first. If you look around there is a fair chance you can find another supply that meets the requirements (from https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/tag:hardware ) on another device around the residence you can "borrow" for testing purposes. If that resolves the issue you can obtain a replacement supply either from the SiliconDust online store, or choose to source locally.

That all said, the newer units are more sensitive and robust in their tuning capabilities (as always, your mileage will vary). SiliconDust also sell factory refurbished units on their store (which may represent some cost savings).

feh

Post by feh » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:14 pm

You guys are the best! The power supply was the problem.

Thanks!