No Channel List in Playback But Setup Recognized Many

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
BenignBodger

No Channel List in Playback But Setup Recognized Many

Post by BenignBodger » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:47 pm

No matter what I do I never get a channel list to select from even though there are dozens shown during setup. I know that the channels are actually viewable because if I double-click the channel number in setup the video comes up in VLC media player -- each of them shows up as upd://127.0.1:5000 in VLC. Playback software used to work well despite my bad antenna setup but today I went up on the roof and corrected a problem and re-aimed so the signal is stronger. Any ideas how I can get the HDHomerRun playback app to show the channel list?

I'm running the current W10 Pro v. 1903 build 18362.592 on a system with an Intel i7-6700 and 32gB of memory. Ive checked the firewall and everything HDHomeRun-associated is allowed through.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: No Channel List in Playback But Setup Recognized Many

Post by NedS » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:12 pm

Can you tell me the device ID printed on the bottom of the HDHomeRun?

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:07 pm

Make sure you did the channel scan in the device web page. The old setup utility is for WMC use and channel scan there does not carry over to the app.

BenignBodger

Post by BenignBodger » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:25 pm

Device ID is 1030DDA5.

As for the online vs. old setup, I downloaded the newest software AFAIK and installed it. I was steered into some sort of online setup (I absolutely abhor such things -- my device is in my home so why would I want or need this cloudy stuff?) but what I found online seemed to be totally non-functional anyway -- no clue as to why. So now where do I go? I'd be just as happy (no, more happy) to have the old setup -- it worked first time, every time.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:27 pm

BenignBodger

Post by BenignBodger » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:03 pm

OK, what I did:

Uninstalled all software that vaguely looked like HDHomeRun
Rebooted computer
Installed the software that includes the old-school scan stuff
Scanned
Went to Microsoft Store (yuck, still have a bad taste in my mouth :? ) and went through the process
Started up and now I have channels to choose from

I still don't see any way to do a re-scan in the viewing software. Does the magic happen there or will I need to go through all of these
steps if a local station arrives or leaves? Probably won't happen but I'm just curious. The reason I started checking this out again was that
cable that gives the house net access was severed by a piece of heavy equipment and my normal TV comes via that route and hooking up
antennas to the two TVs in the house was pretty unsatisfactory. Would have been better if I could have re-aimed the antenna right then but I'm getting too
old to climb on the roof in the dark.

Any way it is working AFAIK so thanks.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:11 pm

For legacy tuners you will need to use that HDHomeRun Setup utility like you did before for scans. For newer HDHomeRun tuners, they have a web interface and also do periodic rescans in the background.