Odd behavior first time opening slide guide.

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Re: Odd behavior first time opening slide guide.

Post by leerandall » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:22 am

Still happening on my Shield as well.

jessie10133

Post by jessie10133 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:32 am

I'm also dealing with this problem the guide is all over the place it clicks on it own,when I press down it starts all the way at the top of guide and the guide pops out of nowhere when navigating the guide.hdhr is now slow on my shield just like on my mibox this is getting annoying seem like now every update is getting worse and worse I don't know why silicondust release updates that is not tested

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:15 pm

Closing the app and reopening it seems to temporarily alleviate the issue.

regator99

Post by regator99 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:09 am

same problem for me as well, on my Sony XBR 700D

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:47 am

This is still a common issue for me. Upon pressing up or down while watching TV, the green highlight is not in the channel/slice portion of the screen and nothing I do will get it there. I must exit the app and open it again just to be able to use slice at all.

I've asked before and don't really expect an answer, but do the people creating the app actually use it?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:38 am

mcewinter wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:47 am
I've asked before and don't really expect an answer, but do the people creating the app actually use it?
We literally use it every single day.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:00 am

NedS wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:38 am
mcewinter wrote:
So you know of the issues before we post them, then? Testing in a work environment versus using it at home in what I'll call a mission critical scenario isn't exactly the same thing. I should have asked if any SD personnel use the app in that fashion. Slice is very unreliable and there is no confirmation from SD on the issue. I'm discouraged.

ZacMan
Device ID: 10115FF2, 1033A485, 13106388, 13111AC9, 1060B7DD

Post by ZacMan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:02 am

I also get this behavior on both of my Shields and both MiBoxs. Pressing up or down sometimes leaves me with nothing selected on the slice and can't change the channel. If I click to the right the REW buttons are selected on the bar and I can't get back to the slice. I choose back and try again. Sometimes after multiple tries it will work. Sometimes when I get it to work it takes me all the way up to the first channel and then I have to scroll down.

I assumed maybe I was hitting the remote ring off to the side to cause the problem but on my one Shield I have a Harmony remote so no ring there as Up Down L and R are separate buttons.

Definitely something wonky going on.

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:46 am

This behavior has been happening for a long time now. The slice guide has been erratic and slow since the switchover to new UI.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:04 am

A lot of it has to do with the number of channels that are available in the channel list. I don't know if you have done this or not but If you optimize your channel list and do away with redundancies and channels that your plain wouldn't ever watch it can speed up the reaction time of the slice guide. My cable company is loaded with high-res/low-res redundant channels so when I cleaned that up it brought the available channels from about 430 down to 165. This made a substantial performance difference.

Regarding the misplacement of the cursor when the slice guide is opened that is generally less fiddly but does still happen. But I have noticed if I press any buttons except for the down arrow it will tend to lose focus on the guide and show up in the action bar on the play/pause button. If I press the down arrow first it will highlight the current channel and work properly from there. But if I did press L/R or Up it will get stuck in the action bar, at which point I have no choice but to close and reopen the guide. But I really never have to close and reopen the ap to resolve the issue.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:15 pm

Jimmersd wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:04 am
A lot of it has to do with the number of channels that are available in the channel list. I don't know if you have done this or not but If you optimize your channel list and do away with redundancies and channels that your plain wouldn't ever watch it can speed up the reaction time of the slice guide. My cable company is loaded with high-res/low-res redundant channels so when I cleaned that up it brought the available channels from about 430 down to 165. This made a substantial performance difference.

Regarding the misplacement of the cursor when the slice guide is opened that is generally less fiddly but does still happen. But I have noticed if I press any buttons except for the down arrow it will tend to lose focus on the guide and show up in the action bar on the play/pause button. If I press the down arrow first it will highlight the current channel and work properly from there. But if I did press L/R or Up it will get stuck in the action bar, at which point I have no choice but to close and reopen the guide. But I really never have to close and reopen the ap to resolve the issue.
Yeah, if I fiddle with it enough I can regain access to the slice portion of the UI. By that time it seems to start at the top of list rather than the channel that I was on.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:31 pm

mcewinter wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:00 am
NedS wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:38 am
mcewinter wrote:
So you know of the issues before we post them, then? Testing in a work environment versus using it at home in what I'll call a mission critical scenario isn't exactly the same thing. I should have asked if any SD personnel use the app in that fashion. Slice is very unreliable and there is no confirmation from SD on the issue. I'm discouraged.
We know about some of them, yes. I not only work from home (as do a lot of us these days), but I subject my family members to everything and try to get their input on daily/home usage as well.

I have all my Comcast duplicates turned off, so there is only one set of channels (almost all Comcast channels are listed 3 times, SD, HD, and a unified lineup that starts in the 1,000s), so I didn't see this issue before hand. I'll leave those on from now on in order to stress test things.

Devs have reproduced this and are working on a fix.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:32 am

For what it's worth, my standard channel Comcast lineup is edited to omit duplicates. I may have one or two channels that have since populated that need to be removed but otherwise my lineup is rather streamlined. I don't believe editing the lineup should be a suggested fix.

Thanks for sharing your usage, I do find that comforting.

Added: Although if you and/or the other members of your team have a cable box in your home then you're not using your app the same way that I or many others here use your product. "Mission Critical"
Last edited by mcewinter on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020

Post by Thunderthud » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:33 am

mcewinter wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:32 am
For what it's worth, my standard channel Comcast lineup is edited to omit duplicates. I may have one or two channels that have since populated that need to be removed but otherwise my lineup is rather streamlined. I don't believe editing the lineup should be a suggested fix.

Thanks for sharing your usage, I do find that comforting.
Ditto

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:09 pm

mcewinter wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:32 am
Nah, not a suggested fix, just an explanation on why we didn't see it right away. We want to be able to support all channel lineups, duplicate or not, which have a large number of channels.
Added: Although if you and/or the other members of your team have a cable box in your home then you're not using your app the same way that I or many others here use your product. "Mission Critical"
I don't follow...