Verizon FiOS Multi Stream Card... Who to Contact?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jk

Verizon FiOS Multi Stream Card... Who to Contact?

Post by jk » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:20 pm

I have an HDHR3-CC aka Prime that I never used and want to install it for Windows Media Center (w/ EPG123). I spent hours this past weekend trying to find one in the DC metro area, got passed from one store to the next again and again until I finally found a store near me that said they had them in stock, but couldn't sell one to me without an order from Verizon. He passed on to Verizon Customer service and someone in Tijuana Mexico took my call. He had no clue what I was talking about and wanted to sell me FiOS service (which I already have) and when he finally started acting (and I DO mean acting) like he figured out what I was talking about, I asked him what the monthly service charge was, and he told me 'about $8 a month', which is nearly double what I'd read elsewhere {$3.99 or $4.99], which led me to believe he either pulled that number out of his butt {or the price went up radically}. He also told me the price was different in different places in the US.

Can anyone please fill me in on how to go about this? It seems like a pretty easy install, [once you get a card !], I've already found the online installer, and also updated the HDHR3-CC's firmware. All I need is to find out where I can get a card and figure out a few details about how to integrate it into WMC, which already has 8 HDHR4's, so I think all I need to do besides installing the HDHR3-CC is to {make a second SchedulesDirect Lineup for the FiOS channels and integrate it with my off-air tuner Lineup- ughhh, SchedulesDirect does not have a lineup for FiOS TV... I guess because FiOS is a commercial product; will have to figure out when to find guide information too}.
Update- looks like the guide Lineup comes directly from Verizon.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

jk

jasonl
Expert

Re: Verizon FiOS Multi Stream Card... Who to Contact?

Post by jasonl » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:12 pm

When I had Verizon I found it was best to call during business hours. You'd never know what you were going to get calling afterhours or weekends.

SchedulesDirect has lineups for Fios. If they don't have one listed for your zip code, try an adjacent zip code.

jk

Post by jk » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:04 am

Thanks Jason, found the Lineup I needed, was in my own zipcode but listed under the name of a small village that is not in my zipcode- guessing that's where the Verizon facility for the area is.

Will try Verizon again during weekday business hours.

jk

Post by jk » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:37 pm

Jason,
I called Verizon and had better luck this time contacting an agent. Because my FiOS contract is part of an MDU contract I had to call a representative at a different number, where I was connected with an agent after a short wait. The agent told me that the monthly charge for the card would be $4.99, and there would be a $25 charge for shipping. I told the agent that I had already contacted the local cellular company that is a Verizon Authorized Retailer and that they had the Cable Card in stock and that I would like to pick it up there to avoid the [absolutely ridiculous $25 charge to ship something the size of a credit card- my internal thoughts] and that all I needed was an order from Verizon to do so. The Verizon agent told me that the dealer didn't have the latest model of card (how he would know what stock an independent company that is an Authorized Verizon Retailer sounds a little sketchy at best, and didn't pass my smell test), and that it would have to be shipped at a charge of $25. I thanked him politely and said goodbye, and called the local dealer. He told me that he knew nothing about a 'new' Cable Card and described it as being the same as pictures I have see of them, a Motorola M-Card in a clear anti-static plastic carrier. He also told me that Verizon has been waiving the shipping fee for other customers and that Verizon has been using the same cards for several years- presumably ever since they switched to M-Cards.

Wondering if you or anyone else knows anything about a 'New Verizon M-Card', or even if there is, is there any reason why I would need a 'New' card for an HDHR3-CC which is already several years old.

Finally, in a Verizon installation of an HDHR3-CC, do I need anything besides the power, a network connection, and a coax split off the MOCA cable (and, of course, a multi-stream Cable Card) for the installation? The USB connector is unused since Verizon doesn't use Switched Digital Video, ergo no Tuning Adapter required, correct?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:40 pm

The newer ones have an ARRIS logo on them instead of Motorola, but they're the same cards. History: years back, Google bought Motorola Mobility, which included their cell phone and digital cable stuff. All Google really wanted were the patents that Motorola controlled which were important to Android phones, so they kept those and sold off the digital cable stuff to the business to ARRIS, then the cell phone stuff to Lenovo. ARRIS started putting their own logo on everything (I believe Lenovo were the only ones who ended up with rights to continue using the Motorola name and logo). The ARRIS cards are newer but are functionally identical to the Motorola cards.

You shouldn't need any other equipment. Verizon doesn't use TAs.

jk

Post by jk » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Jason.

jk

Post by jk » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:04 pm

Verizon refused to create an order and let me pick up the CC at the Verizon Authorized Retailer a few blocks away, so they can stick me for an extra $25 to mail me a card that costs under $5 to mail. A couple of days ago the excuse was that I needed a "newer" card. Today they told me there was no way in their system to do it. Filed complaints with FCC and FTC against Verizon.

jpw

Post by jpw » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:27 pm

jk,
You mention you are in the DC area. There is a Verizon store in the Fair Oaks mall. It's been a while since I got a new CableCard (3 years?) but I just stopped in, went to the back TV area where people swap out their STBs, and asked for a cable card. No extra charge that I remember.

--John

jk

Post by jk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:31 am

John,
private message sent
jwk

jpw

Post by jpw » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:20 pm

jk wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:31 am
private message sent
Got your PM but apparently new users can't send PMs or reply, thanks!

--John

jk

Post by jk » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:55 am

No, thank you!

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:40 pm

jpw wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:20 pm
jk wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:31 am
private message sent
Got your PM but apparently new users can't send PMs or reply, thanks!

--John
It's an anti-spam measure. If new users are allowed to send PMs, then everyone starts getting spam PMs. We require a minimum number of posts before PMs can be sent, since it's easy for us to catch spam in posts but we only know about spam in PMs if they get reported.

Jojo613

Post by Jojo613 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:21 am

Legally, Verizon, Comcast, et al, have to provide Cablecards to customers that request them. Period.

Awhile back when I had Comcast, they used to require a "Truck Roll" and have an actual contractor/employee come to my house to install the cablecard. It was usually a shit show when I started explaining the WMC setup. Eventually, I would get the card paired and be good to go.

The FCC changed the rules and now customers can just install the cards themselves, which is why you should be able to go to any store and pick one up.
You don't "Purchase" the card, you're just renting them. I have FIOS in Arlington, VA, and the monthly cost per card is $4.99, as someone else stated.

I switched over from Comcast a few years ago, and I think I may have just placed the cablecard order online with the rest of the equipment.
Regardless, you still need to call the individual Verizon offices/stores and make sure they have them in stock, because they're not a usual request by customers.
And whatever you do, don't say "Windows Media Center!" Just say it's for a DVR device that requires the cablecard. Even someone in Mexico CSR should understand that!

In terms of the cards, they're just branded differently, like Motorola, or Arris. They're all essentially the same multistream "M-Cards", capable of handling up to 6 tuners simultaneously.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Jojo613 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:21 am
... which is why you should be able to go to any store and pick one up.
With the possible exception of certain bulk (MDU or HOA) agreements where the local store is not authorized to change services, or add equipment on the account, as *you* are not the owner of record (it is the MDU or the HOA). The exceptions that proves the rule.

It should be acknowledged by those with clue that CableCARD users are among the 1%. And as such, no CSR is typically going to reliably remember the details for the 1% (they are not paid to understand the 1%; heck, they are lucky they can deal with things that support the 10%). In some ideal world everyone remembers the names of their 3rd cousin when they see them once every decade, too (but I admit I do not unless they wear a name-tag at the reunion).

That all said, you *should* be able to get a CableCARD as long as VZ offers linear QAM TV services in your location, but do not be surprised when you get looks as if you are talking about mythical creatures, and expect to have to request escalation to a supervisor.

jk

Post by jk » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:26 pm

Verizon "wasn't charging me for the card" they were charging me $25 for shipping something that shouldn't cost more than $3-$5 to ship (think 'loophole').

Jason has a very good history of the M-Cards a few posts above yours. The only difference between the Motorola and Arris cards are the name on the labels.
When I first called the local stores most of them didn't have any cards and none of them said anything about ordering a card for me, and several told me I had to call Verizon and have one shipped. The store that I finally got one from was a Verizon authorized dealer, not a Verizon store, and even they told me they didn't have any in the store, when I went to the store and spoke to them, they gave me one with no hesitation. My- take? Verizon is leaning on their stores to not stock them and push customers to order from Verizon so they can give them a card for free, but charge $25 for "shipping". Verizon... the same people with a new company name that used to charge people a monthly fee for renting a telephone for 25 or 30 years... making your cost thousands of dollars for a $10 phone.