Channels freezing in hdhr app.

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
GlenA

Channels freezing in hdhr app.

Post by GlenA » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:12 am

Could you please take a look at my logs and see if you can help me identify this problem? Some channels will stutter a bit and then continue playing, like channel 2.1. Channel 4.1 will freeze and stay frozen. It seems that the higher def channels are more affected than others. I've turned on logging for both the app and the tuner 1040AB60. I ran about 2 minutes of changing to a few channels. I don't see this problem in the app on my other PC, and not in any other apps, vlc or mpc-hc on this laptop.

jasonl

Re: Channels freezing in hdhr app.

Post by jasonl » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:21 pm

It looks like it's having trouble getting data from the HDHomeRun. Are you running any security/antimalware/web filtering software on there that might be interfering with communications?

GlenA

Post by GlenA » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:16 pm

Thanks Jason,
The only thing out of the ordinary that I run is a VPN, I had that disabled for the test this morning, I'm pretty sure. Just to make sure, I just did a another test with the VPN off, firewall off and also everything in startup disabled. But there was no improvement at all. I just did the test a few minutes ago. About 6:10 PM CST

jasonl

Post by jasonl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:40 pm

How is the laptop connected to the network?

GlenA

Post by GlenA » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Via ethernet cable and uverse modem.

jasonl

Post by jasonl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:23 pm

Can you enable the HDHomeRun DVR on the laptop (doesn't matter if you subscribe to it or not), then test live on both the laptop and your other PC simultaneously on the same channel, and see if they both have trouble or if it's still just the laptop?

GlenA

Post by GlenA » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:27 pm

ok, done. It didn't record anything but it was enabled. Just so you know, I have two tuners 1040AB60 and also 10407AF3 you'll see one part of the diagnostic data where I had three channels going at one time. That was a test to show that the problem wasn't isolated to one tuner. The problem occurred on my laptop in all cases and no problems with the other PC or with VLC on this laptop. As a final test I just tried again with the laptop on wifi... same thing. I'm not going to worry you about this problem too much more. I can work around it, it just seems weird what it's doing. I thought maybe it might have been a problem you had seen before.

EDIT: btw, is there any way I can downgrade the HDHR app that came from the windows store? Maybe sideload it somehow? That's something I haven't tested. The version on my laptop is 20191209 (1.1.238.0) and the version on my Server is 20190611 (1.1.275.0)

jasonl

Post by jasonl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:00 pm

The laptop wasn't buffering through the DVR, which is what I wanted to see it doing. Please open a command prompt or PowerShell window (run as admin) and run:

Code: Select all

CheckNetIsolation LoopbackExempt -a -n=”ef712ba7.hdhomerundvr_23nna27hyxhag”
Then repeat the test with the DVR on.

GlenA

Post by GlenA » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:09 pm

Well, seeing the same issue. When I ran the command you sent me it only issued an "OK". I assume that is what I should have expected to see. Should I try a reboot? EDIT: Rebooted and no change.

jasonl

Post by jasonl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:51 pm

That's what it should do, yes.

What resolution and refresh rate do you have the display set to?

It looks like your laptop has dual GPUs, both Intel and an NVIDIA one. Do you have the ability in the NVIDIA control panel to force a specific GPU to be used? If so, can you try forcing each one and see if there's any difference between them?

GlenA

Post by GlenA » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:14 pm

well I'll be darned.... Took me a bit to figure it out but, I was able to add the HDHomerun app as a program to run on the Nvidia GPU and it's working perfectly now. hdhomerunview.exe is what's shown in the gpu activity app. Jason, I appreciate you hanging in there with me on this :D