Missing Channels on Prime - 1x HDHR3 and 1x HDHR6 (old version)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
shadowofjazz

Missing Channels on Prime - 1x HDHR3 and 1x HDHR6 (old version)

Post by shadowofjazz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:16 pm

I am suddenly missing a few HD channels and some SD and HD channels. It appears to be a little random, but the ones I've noticed missing are the HD version of PBS as well as SD and HD versions of Comedy Central. The channel lineups are also differing between my devices, with only some tuners picking up premium channels I subscribe to.

Device IDs:
1317430A
13200EDE
1322DB44

I just enabled diagnostics on all of them and also started a channel scan on each of them.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Missing Channels on Prime - 1x HDHR3 and 1x HDHR6 (old version)

Post by jasonl » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:16 pm

What channel numbers are the ones you mentioned?

shadowofjazz

Post by shadowofjazz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:36 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:16 pm
What channel numbers are the ones you mentioned?
PBS HD is 1008.
Comedy Central SD is 59, HD version at 1435.
Premium channels start at 1773 and the channels between tuners seems to be inconsistent (some are missing, some are shown as SD on one but HD on the other).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:48 pm

The signal quality on the lower frequency channels is lousy across all 3 devices. This would indicate that there's a wiring problem, either with the cable or splitter that they're all on, the outlet they're connected to, or somewhere further upstream, either the run from the street to the house or even further back than that. Try another outlet if you have one. If the same channels are still missing, you need to get your cable provider to send someone out with a signal meter to figure out where the problem is. My semi-educated wild guess would be that one of their amps has gone bad since it has a pattern that matches what I've seen before with bad amps, but that pattern could also be caused by other things, so the meter should be able to narrow it down if it gets that far.

shadowofjazz

Post by shadowofjazz » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:04 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:48 pm
The signal quality on the lower frequency channels is lousy across all 3 devices. This would indicate that there's a wiring problem, either with the cable or splitter that they're all on, the outlet they're connected to, or somewhere further upstream, either the run from the street to the house or even further back than that. Try another outlet if you have one. If the same channels are still missing, you need to get your cable provider to send someone out with a signal meter to figure out where the problem is. My semi-educated wild guess would be that one of their amps has gone bad since it has a pattern that matches what I've seen before with bad amps, but that pattern could also be caused by other things, so the meter should be able to narrow it down if it gets that far.
Got it - thanks! I’m in an apartment complex but they did work in the building in late 2019 on the fiber cables to upgrade for 1 Gb service through AT&T. I’m guessing that could have affected signal quality in some way (if the upgrade was done incorrectly) as now that I think about it the channels started to go missing after that. I’ll check with the apartment (though they are typically slow to fix things and would likely punt to the people who did the work).