Choppy Video During Sports Action

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
carper

Choppy Video During Sports Action

Post by carper » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:50 pm

Video delivered via my HDHomeRun Connect Quatro (thru Plex and Apple TV 4K) is choppy during fast sports action compared to a direct antenna connection into my TV. To my eye, appearance is if frames are being dropped; otherwise image quality seems good. In contrast, direct antenna feed into the TV yields smooth motion. Feeding MPEG2 directly thru 2018 Mac Min running Plex Server to Apple TV; no transcoding, no ethernet congestion. All firmware & software current, systems restarted. Delivering broadcast video signal verbatim to the TV via this pathway should be easy-peasy, no?

Any thoughts on how to determine the cause of this degradation?

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Re: Choppy Video During Sports Action

Post by leerandall » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Did you see this on both the game on Fox and the game on CBS on Sunday?

carper

Post by carper » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Observed several times during different football broadcasts; choppiness always present during action. Choppyness never present when I switch TV input to the antenna.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:49 am

carper wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:50 pm
Video delivered via my HDHomeRun Connect Quatro (thru Plex and Apple TV 4K) is choppy during fast sports action compared to a direct antenna connection into my TV. To my eye, appearance is if frames are being dropped; otherwise image quality seems good. In contrast, direct antenna feed into the TV yields smooth motion. Feeding MPEG2 directly thru 2018 Mac Min running Plex Server to Apple TV; no transcoding, no ethernet congestion. All firmware & software current, systems restarted. Delivering broadcast video signal verbatim to the TV via this pathway should be easy-peasy, no?

Any thoughts on how to determine the cause of this degradation?
First thought is try to eliminate as many steps as possible. On the Mac Mini itself, you could try the HDHomerun app. But I think you should be able to watch directly from the HDHomerun on any device with a URL like the following:

Code: Select all

http://<device ip>:5004/auto/v<channel number>
See here for examples:
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... g_a_sample

Maybe try that URL in VLC on the Apple TV too?

carper

Post by carper » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:04 pm

tonywagner wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:49 am
First thought is try to eliminate as many steps as possible...
Thank you; just the suggestion I was hoping for and saving an mpeg file works as documented. Will do more experiments next weekend during another playoff game.