Having a hard time convincing - neil459

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
neil459

Having a hard time convincing - neil459

Post by neil459 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:06 pm

nickk wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:38 pm
rykr, neil459 - we are open to constructive feedback were we can discuss ideas and make improvements to the user experience. Please start your own thread and we can help.

Nick
Thanks, but no thanks. I have provided enough opinion in enough threads and have for the most part stopped reading the forum. The UI sucks, in my opinion. But someone at SD is very invested in the current UI and refuses to listen. We were told a year ago to just wait until the UI refactoring comes out as it will form a better base for changes, but after a year, the only changes have been to reduce functionality.

Major items just off the top of my head from last night are:

- Cannot see what is going to record today. Yes, there is the red dot, but it only means that a program might record. And more importantly one must hunt and peck through the discover view for every time period of interest.

- Cannot see both air date and record date.

- Programs with red dot (which might or might not be recorded) are no longer at the beginning of the discover view. So one has to hunt around for them, and they are easy to miss because the red dot can be indistinguishable from the the show icon. We only use OTA, but this must be a nightmare for cable users.

- No way to determine if we have more programs scheduled to record than we have tuners for.

- No way to say, we are going to watch on another device, so don't record and waste one tuner.

- No way to prioritize tuners. All of our tuners, even though they are hooked to same antenna, have different signal strengths and number of channels received. We unplug them to make sure the bad tuners are not used to record program we consider important.

- On the Mac, Apple-Q to quit only works on some views.

- On the Mac, when the last recording has been watched and deleted, the show icon still shown in the Recorded View as if there were still recordings to watch.

- We routinely have recordings that won't play, so we go to YouTube or the network web site the watch. If I am going to do that, why do I need HD DVR.

- We won't ever fast forward past commercials because the UI will lock up and we have to start watching from the beginning to see the end.

Neil

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Having a hard time convincing - neil459

Post by nickk » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:53 pm

neil459 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:06 pm
Thanks, but no thanks. I have provided enough opinion in enough threads and have for the most part stopped reading the forum. The UI sucks, in my opinion. But someone at SD is very invested in the current UI and refuses to listen. We were told a year ago to just wait until the UI refactoring comes out as it will form a better base for changes, but after a year, the only changes have been to reduce functionality.
The new UI has been out for a few months. Priority has been on bug fixes and this will likely continue a bit into January.

All DVR features are there in the new UI. Readability from a typical big-screen viewing distance was one of the consistent complaints with the older UI - the changes you see in the episodes page relate to this readability goal.

Focusing first on issues you are reporting first...
neil459 wrote:
- We won't ever fast forward past commercials because the UI will lock up and we have to start watching from the beginning to see the end.
We are not tracking any issues with FF on any platform. What platform are you seeing this problem on? When you say the UI will lock up, does it require that you exit the app and launch it again? How often do you experience this?
neil459 wrote:
- We routinely have recordings that won't play, so we go to YouTube or the network web site the watch. If I am going to do that, why do I need HD DVR.
Won't start playing, or plays but with picture distortion like poor reception? What platform?

If you can upload a problem recording using a service like Google Drive or Dropbox and can PM me the link I can take a look.
neil459 wrote:
- On the Mac, Apple-Q to quit only works on some views.
Problem confirmed in the settings view and the episode details view. We will get this fixed.
neil459 wrote:
- On the Mac, when the last recording has been watched and deleted, the show icon still shown in the Recorded View as if there were still recordings to watch.
We are not seeing this problem here. We had a UI update go out about 2 weeks ago - aAre you still seeing this problem?

neil459

Post by neil459 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:54 pm

nickk wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:53 pm
neil459 wrote:
We are not seeing this problem here. We had a UI update go out about 2 weeks ago - aAre you still seeing this problem?
Yes. Last night.

RayDas

Post by RayDas » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:45 am

On my system, Windows 10 Pro, the fast forward problem has been occurring for a very long time. I really did not take notice until I started to record and view a lot more regular programs, those with commercials.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:34 am

RayDas wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:45 am
On my system, Windows 10 Pro, the fast forward problem has been occurring for a very long time. I really did not take notice until I started to record and view a lot more regular programs, those with commercials.
Can you please describe what you mean by lock up. Does it require that you exit the app and launch it again?

Nick

RayDas

Post by RayDas » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:09 am

Yes, it locks up, you cannot go forward or backward. You have to hit the squiggly line icon at the bottom right to put you back into "Recordings". Then you have to go to the recorded icon, select the program again, and start the recording.

Sometimes it jumps to the point of interruption, sometimes it does not. Also sometimes when it goes to the point of interruption, and you hit fast forward, it locks up again, and you are in the cycle.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:13 am

RayDas wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:09 am
Yes, it locks up, you cannot go forward or backward. You have to hit the squiggly line icon at the bottom right to put you back into "Recordings". Then you have to go to the recorded icon, select the program again, and start the recording.

Sometimes it jumps to the point of interruption, sometimes it does not. Also sometimes when it goes to the point of interruption, and you hit fast forward, it locks up again, and you are in the cycle.
Does this mean you have some recordings that reliably break if you try to jump through a specific section?

edit: Also, could you describe your system a bit? Any wifi connections anywhere? And what kind of DVR you're using?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:14 am

Also what GPU does your win10 system have?

While we collect information I would recommend installing the latest video drivers from Intel/Nvidia/AMD.

Nick

jasonl

Post by jasonl » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Can you upload one of the affected recordings to some sort of file storage site (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, iCloud, etc.) and then email a link to support at silicondust dot com along with a link to this thread (so we know what it is) so we can see if we encounter the same issue on our devices?

RayDas

Post by RayDas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:19 am

This system is for my bedroom TV, Westinghouse 40 LED via HDMI <-> Intel NUC5cpyh with 8GB memory, it is updated. The DVR is on a WD MyCloud, 16GB memory, 4 x 10TB drives. There are some WiFi usage, but not at the same time as when the TV is being used. CAT6/CAT5 ethernet wiring throughout.

As for a recording, that comes up with the problem, those have been deleted. Now that I am thinking about it, not sure, but some channel recordings do not have the FF lockup, but this might be a stretch. Sometimes I just let the recording play without doing an FF, it is a hassle that I could do without.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:49 am

RayDas wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:19 am
Now that I am thinking about it, not sure, but some channel recordings do not have the FF lockup, but this might be a stretch.
That's kind of what we're guessing. Sometimes individual channels can cause unexpected errors. If you happen to find a recording with the FF error in the near future, feel free to upload so we can take a look.