Seriously?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
rykr

Seriously?

Post by rykr » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:33 pm

I've now seen emails and social media posts talking about the brand new UI. So I go try it out today and go to the discover tab and pull up NFL football. Of course there are two games on right now and I want to watch the second one live. Nope! Apparently I have to set it to record and then go to the recordings tab to watch it. It took all of 30 seconds of pushing buttons on my remote to have two games set to record that I didn't to record and still couldn't directly watch live the game I wanted to watch.

Well done... SMH

improwise

Re: Seriously?

Post by improwise » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:04 pm

It is annoying. select recording and fast forward.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:21 pm

rykr wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:33 pm
I've now seen emails and social media posts talking about the brand new UI. So I go try it out today and go to the discover tab and pull up NFL football. Of course there are two games on right now and I want to watch the second one live. Nope! Apparently I have to set it to record and then go to the recordings tab to watch it. It took all of 30 seconds of pushing buttons on my remote to have two games set to record that I didn't to record and still couldn't directly watch live the game I wanted to watch.

Well done... SMH
To answer the topic "question": No, not seriously.

You can watch live TV directly from the Discover tab. What you have described is not intended behavior. I will make the developers aware of this issue.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:54 pm

This is actually intended behavior, in a manner of speaking. Right now "Watch Now" only watches the first show in a list. To watch any other show in that list live, you have to go to the Slice guide and browse to the channel the show is on (or wait until it becomes the first show in the list). Fixing this would require a redesign of how we handle the Watch Now button.

I should note that this is how Watch Now has worked for months/years and isn't a new development.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:41 pm

nateb wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:54 pm
This is actually intended behavior, in a manner of speaking. Right now "Watch Now" only watches the first show in a list. To watch any other show in that list live, you have to go to the Slice guide and browse to the channel the show is on (or wait until it becomes the first show in the list). Fixing this would require a redesign of how we handle the Watch Now button.

I should note that this is how Watch Now has worked for months/years and isn't a new development.
Aaah, I see now. I thought rykr wasn't able to do even that, and somehow had to specifically record the show. My mistake.

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:40 pm

I ran into the same issue as the op a couple of weeks ago (yep football). While it is not a huge deal, the user experience is terrible. Moreover, 'this is how it has worked, it is not a new development' falls way short from a customer service perspective...

K

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:12 am

tachtevrenidis wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:40 pm
I ran into the same issue as the op a couple of weeks ago (yep football). While it is not a huge deal, the user experience is terrible. Moreover, 'this is how it has worked, it is not a new development' falls way short from a customer service perspective...

K
To be clear, I'm not saying it's a good thing. Just pointing out that it's not a recently broken problem. Regardless, it's something we need to figure out.

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:23 pm

yeap, please do

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:59 am

nateb wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:12 am
tachtevrenidis wrote:

K
To be clear, I'm not saying it's a good thing. Just pointing out that it's not a recently broken problem. Regardless, it's something we need to figure out.
It's this attitude that keeps SD's software from being a viable alternative. They're well aware of the shortcomings of their software, they know it's been unusable, they continue to promote it, and they refuse to fix it.

Their move to a remote-hosted, React-based UI is just further proof of this user-hostile approach.

rykr

Post by rykr » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:18 am

React based ui? When did this happen?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:27 am

rykr wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:18 am
React based ui? When did this happen?
That's what the whole "new UI" that would let them more quickly iterate development and support more features across all platforms was all about. That's why there are so many problems with the apps: they have pushed out something that is essentially a total rewrite of native apps in an inferior cross-platform manner.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:35 am

rpcameron wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:59 am

It's this attitude that keeps SD's software from being a viable alternative. They're well aware of the shortcomings of their software, they know it's been unusable, they continue to promote it, and they refuse to fix it.

Their move to a remote-hosted, React-based UI is just further proof of this user-hostile approach.
Neat. I didn't know "it's something we need to figure out" translates to "we refuse to fix it" in whatever language you speak. I'll have to keep that in mind in the future.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 am

nateb wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:35 am
rpcameron wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:59 am

Neat. I didn't know "it's something we need to figure out" translates to "we refuse to fix it" in whatever language you speak. I'll have to keep that in mind in the future.
Nateb, you guys are doing good work. We have really liked some of the recent improvements to the UI. My non-tech savvy wife uses it everyday with no issues. The main thing we are waiting and hoping for is DRM recording. Once you guys are able to get that released there will be a lot of happy campers around here. I'm sure you included.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:11 am

GetMatt wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:43 am

Nateb, you guys are doing good work. We have really liked some of the recent improvements to the UI. My non-tech savvy wife uses it everyday with no issues. The main thing we are waiting and hoping for is DRM recording. Once you guys are able to get that released there will be a lot of happy campers around here. I'm sure you included.
Oh man, you have no idea how much I want DRM recording to be supported right now. Particularly with the MCE news, being able to announce recording would have been awesome. But beyond that, it's something that'll be critical across all sorts of platforms in the future, not just Prime, but ATSC3 has the potential to also have DRM on some channels. Trouble is with this kind of thing you've really got to do it right the first time, so it's very hard to rush. The moment we're able to release something, I can promise I'll be shouting it from the rooftops.

Bobstr
Device ID: 131CCFEA, 1314A87C

Post by Bobstr » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:13 am

nateb wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:12 am
tachtevrenidis wrote:

K
In regards to the situations like multiple NFL football games (or any other game or show) where clicking 'watch' takes you *only* to the first show in the show listing and having the only option to get to the other show/game that is currently being broadcast being going to the slice guide to select it: to do so is absolutely not optimal and is much aggravating and reduces the family approval factor substantially.

Agreed that it's not a new issue - I'll confirm that it's been around seemingly forever. It's certainly in need of a solution where a user can select any current episode/game that is currently being broadcast and is available Live directly from the episode/game screen list. Having to get out of discover and the show/game listing, then open slice and find the $&*U*@ channel in slice after you were just looking at it in Discover is a very backward, too many step process.

The seeming intent of Discover is to liberate the user from knowing or caring what channel / network a show or game is being broadcast on. However, this is a case where the way it works forces the user go back to knowing channel to be able to quickly find and select the show/game's channel in order to quickly get to it in Live TV. Don't forget that most of us don't use keyboards to watch TV except when we're at our desk, so it's either remember the channel # or scroll, scroll, scroll to find it as the majority of us have this running on TV's in our living rooms, bedrooms, family rooms. etc where keyboards are a nuisance and the remote is the primary input method. A solution to this is an important step forward that would be greatly appreciated.

I know you guys have this on your radar - I just wanted to get my two cents in on it.