HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
h0va4life

Re: HDHomeRun OTA Live for Roku

Post by h0va4life » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:41 pm

Why does my Roku Premiere go to channel selection after a few minutes of watching a channel on the HDHR app? No matter the channel, even the strongest of my channels, the signal will stop and the screen will display the channel selection and I will have to reconnect to the channel if I want to continue watching.

I can watch on the stock channels app on android tv without this issue, but I would prefer to use roku instead.

I have the Quatro model and it is connected via ethernet into my router.

MrDoh

Post by MrDoh » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Have a Roku Ultra with version 9.2, and HDhomerun Connect Quatro with updated firmware with Samsung KS8000 TV's. I've downloaded the HD app onto my Roku, and it comes up and the video works fine. Sound is a different story. Most of the audio is working, but a couple of channels just aren't right. One is Spanish, and the other has no audio.

I have no access to the options that I could set on the NVIDIA Shield HDhomerun app to fix these audio problems. This seems to be referred to as the "action bar" for the Roku HDhomerun app, and I really need that to set the audio up so that it works. I haven't yet been able to get the action bar to come up on the Roku. On the Shield HDhomerun app, fixing the audio for those channels was a combination of turning off Spanish SAP, and making sure that the language that was set was English (for the channel that has no audio), as I recall. What I recall may not be exactly right *smile*, but close.

Is there a way to get the action bar on the bottom of the screen in the Roku app, the one with settings, to come up, or do I need to retire my HDhomerun back to the shelf again? I'd really like to be able to use the HDhomerun, so I do need that "action bar".

Thanks very much.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:09 pm

There is no way to change the audio track that is played on Roku. Their player is not designed to handle streams with multiple audio tracks and only recognizes one, usually the last, and you're stuck with that. Depending on the show and the station, you might get a duplicate of the original audio track, something in Spanish, something with described video, or nothing.

jillybean

Post by jillybean » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 pm

How should I exit from the HDHomeRun roku app? Only way I can find seems to be the 'home' button - the back button doesn't do anything once I am back at the channel list.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:21 pm

The Home button.

mvalburg

Post by mvalburg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Update on what I thought was a resolved issue (no audio through HD app/Roku when playing on older TV that can't decode AC3):

I have an 4-5 year old Samsung TV, Roku Streaming Stick+, HDHomerun Extend and a newly working HDHomerun DVR recording to a local hard drive.

As expected, the HD app on the Roku doesn't pass audio from live TV via the Extend, but it does pass audio when replaying a recording from the HDH DVR.

Is the Extend transcoding recorded content which, when incoming OTA live, passes through it untouched (intact AC3)? Or is something else going on?

mvalburg

Post by mvalburg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:57 pm

BTW, for those asking what good an audio extractor would do, many of them have analog outputs that can feed the analog inputs on your TV. No idea whether there'd be synching problems, though. Might have to try it if I'm to avoid buying a new TV just for OTA channel sound in the bedroom...

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:09 pm

The EXTEND does not transcode audio.

When going for an extractor, you would need one that can actually decode DD/AC3 audio. If it doesn't, it will only output audio if it's receiving PCM, the same problem the TV itself has.

mvalburg

Post by mvalburg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:20 pm

"The extend does not transcode audio..."

Thanks for the clarification. In light of this, why am I getting audio output from OTA recorded by HDHomerun's DVR on a setup that won't output audio on live TV?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:54 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe the TV does decode AC3 but the Roku model you're using doesn't output it properly from a live stream.