Can HDHomeRun Quatro be connected direct to laptop

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
snowbank

Can HDHomeRun Quatro be connected direct to laptop

Post by snowbank » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:50 pm

The installation Quickstart Guide indicates to connect the HDHomeRun to antenna, router and power. That works great, no problem. I would like to use the HomeRun to tune antenna position for a TV far from the router. I don't have an ethernet cable that long so I wondered if I could plug the HomeRun ethernet cable directly into the ethernet port of my laptop and use the config GUI without a router. I can't find any recent documentation on that although a web search (https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/h ... nstall.pdf) reveals that direct connection to a PC was possible for older model HomeRuns with the caveat that it might take several minutes for the PC to find the HomeRun device unless I set a static IP on the PC in the range 169.254.x.x. Is direct connection to a PC still possible on latest model HomeRun? Thanks

rpcameron

Re: Can HDHomeRun Quatro be connected direct to laptop

Post by rpcameron » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:29 pm

Yes you can. If a DHCP server is not running, the HDHR tuner will assign itself a LinkLocal address (169.254/16), which should be discoverable from a direct connection on your computer's ethernet port.

(I know this works, because I used to run several tuners in this manner back when the Primes' ethernet firmware had bugs with DHCP renewals under certain circumstances. I maintained direct connections with the tuners for several months without issue; the only thing you will notice will be errors in the tuner's logs every 10 minutes or so about the tuner being unable to connect to SD's servers. This isn't a problem if you are just troubleshooting, but you won't receive a DeviceAuth token needed to get guide data if you use a direct connection.)

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:38 pm

snowbank wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:50 pm
The installation Quickstart Guide indicates to connect the HDHomeRun to antenna, router and power. That works great, no problem. I would like to use the HomeRun to tune antenna position for a TV far from the router. I don't have an ethernet cable that long so I wondered if I could plug the HomeRun ethernet cable directly into the ethernet port of my laptop and use the config GUI without a router. I can't find any recent documentation on that although a web search (https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/h ... nstall.pdf) reveals that direct connection to a PC was possible for older model HomeRuns with the caveat that it might take several minutes for the PC to find the HomeRun device unless I set a static IP on the PC in the range 169.254.x.x. Is direct connection to a PC still possible on latest model HomeRun? Thanks
You might l;ook at a remote desktop product like Anydesk to do that.... or use a tool like HDHomerun Config GUI to do that - they allow you to use a phone or tablet and see the remote PC desktop (& sugnal strength). HDHomerun Config GUI actually lets you see real time signal strength of any tuner on any HDHomerun box.

I use this all the time when positioning/repositioning my attic antenna.

snowbank

Post by snowbank » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:45 pm

rpcameron, elabra -
Thanks for the replies. This did indeed work fine, even better than expected. I drug my Windows laptop assigned an IP in the 169.254.. range and the HDHomeRun with a short Ethernet cable out to the site of the remote TV and antenna. The HDHomeRun setup program immediately found the hardware and channels successfully scanned. Then on to antenna position tuning using the Config GUI. I was happy to find I could open multiple instances of the Config GUI and set each instance to a different tuner and channel (four in the case of the Quatro) and find an antenna position of best compromise for four desired channels simultaneously. You can't do that with any $15 TV signal finder or even the Winegard RFL-332. Wow! I am liking the HDHomeRun a LOT.