Windows 7 Viewer no video and no sound

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Dustin

Re: Windows 7 Viewer no video and no sound

Post by Dustin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Windows firewall off makes no difference.

Can't give you an exact date or even an approximate for the loss of View's ability sorry. It was working fine during last year's World Cup for sure but when it stopped I am uncertain.

Windows updates occur like every Thursday or something. I have no idea in respect of those.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:12 pm

My router is a Fritzbox 7490 running in VDSL mode. There is no internal firewall active.

Firmware on the HDHomeRun box is 20170930 which seems fine with reference to the changelog.

C.A.R

Post by C.A.R » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:17 pm

C.A.R wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:59 pm
I am having the exact same problem. Help!
Update: I added a Scribe Duo to my system a couple of days ago and then the video was working but the audio was still not working. I finally downloaded an ac3 filter and now I have audio as well. So, yay, I guess!

Chester

Post by Chester » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:26 pm

If you haven't done this before, be sure to try the "exe" version of 32 bit VLC (vlc-3.0.8-win32.exe), not the zip or 7Z version.

I had the same "no video/no audio issues". Tried the latest VLC 32 bit using the 7Z version. No change. Did some research and saw a comment about the zip/7z versions are for portable use, and that the "exe" version is for a Windows installation. I think a Windows version of VLC may be required for HDHomeRun viewer.

To see if you have it, click "Start" and "All Programs", then look for "VideoLan" near the bottom of the list. If you see it, you have the Windows version. If you don't see it, you don't have it.

I found an "exe" version after searching for "vlc 32 bit". I could not find the right link for it in the official VideoLan site.

Working fine now.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:07 am

I've downloaded and installed vlc 32 bit after completely removing all previous versions.

I've uninstalled HDHomerun and reinstalled.

I've tried starting both programs in xp compatibility mode.

All to no effect. Still acts exactly the same. I can watch TV from the HDH box by running HDHomerun setup and selecting one of the channels listed under digital antenna. This starts VLC and the program is quite viewable and has sound. A check on the codec it is using lists mpeg 2/1 mpgv.

If I run HDhomerun Viewer it does not show either a picture or sound but the program guide etc are perfectly viewable and usable.

Still stuck with a semi-useless device that once worked just fine.

daniel1234

Post by daniel1234 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:33 am

I had the same problem . After removing some system CODECS. Fixed it with installing this for Windows 7 64bit.
media.player.codec.pack.v4.5.4.setup.exe Hope this helps....

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:51 am

Dustin, I sent you a PM.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:19 am

Thanks for the attention.

Well I installed the older HDHomerun program. There was a problem with the integrated visual c++2017 and it stopped the install.
I downloaded and installed the 64bit version directly from Microsoft.

This enabled the HDH install.

Now there is a difference but probably not what you might have hoped for.
I get exactly the same response in View but when I click on the channel in setup it launches VLC but now nothing plays on it. No sound and no picture.

It's something but probably not what we were hoping for right?

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:41 am

Is your video card driver up to date? Are the channels you want to watch DRM copy-protected? The old viewer on Win7 does not support DRM at all.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:05 am

That's about what I was hoping for, confirming that the new version of the software was not the cause of the issue.

Are the PC and the HDHomeRun wired directly to the Fritzboz? If so, do you have a network switch you could insert and connect both the PC and the HDHomeRun to that to eliminate the Fritzbox from the path?

bruiserker

Post by bruiserker » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 pm

3579mike777 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:31 pm
Why don't you use Windows Media Center. It was included with almost every version of Windows 7.
I would at least try using Media Center, just to verify that it's not a VLC or View problem. Bonus is that if Media Center works, you can record DRM channels, as well as having grid guide.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:18 pm

bruiserker wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 pm
I would at least try using Media Center, just to verify that it's not a VLC or View problem. Bonus is that if Media Center works, you can record DRM channels, as well as having grid guide.
DRM is irrelevant, this is a over the air device:
Dustin wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:18 am
OK My box is an HDHR3-DT

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:20 pm

Are the PC and the HDHomeRun wired directly to the Fritzboz? If so, do you have a network switch you could insert and connect both the PC and the HDHomeRun to that to eliminate the Fritzbox from the path?
The Fritz works as a gateway and handles the DHCP. All the connections and switching is done by a TL SG2410D into which HDH and computers and the Fritz are directly connected by cat 5.
The udp packets aren't being filtered or otherwise I wouldn't be able to use VLC or WMP to connect directly and see the programming.

Why View can't access the same packets I guess is the problem?

I can see live TV ok on windows media player I just dont want to use it. It's clunky and the epg is sub-standard. It will only let you change to a channel it has info on. It is a piece of crap.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:28 pm

Btw and I know this should be another thread but is it possible to change firmware for a US model ATSC to DVB. If I could do that I could try another box. I have a HDRH5-2US which I bought without reading the box a while back. If it can be done I'll do a new thread on it.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:20 pm

At this point all I can think of would be to remote in to your PC via Teamviewer or something and take a look and see if there's something we're missing. Would you be OK with that?