New Feature: Modernized Live TV and Playback controls Plus sped up Slice guide for mobile

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: New Feature: Modernized Live TV and Playback controls Plus sped up Slice guide for mobile

Post by nateb » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:30 am

ota wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:14 am

Also, currently when changing channels the app stops and doesn't continue once you get to the first/last channel. That needs to be changed as well to make this work smoothly.
What would you like to see happen at that time?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: New Feature: Modernized Live TV and Playback controls Plus sped up Slice guide for mobile

Post by signcarver » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:48 am

nateb wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:30 am
ota wrote:

Also, currently when changing channels the app stops and doesn't continue once you get to the first/last channel. That needs to be changed as well to make this work smoothly.
I assume they want it to loop back after the last channel which might be doable but currently one should not be able to go from first to last as that is how one generally gets to search... would probably prefer search on the bar as a magnifying glass to pop up. Perhaps that is done with the new bar but none of my android boxes other than shield let me watch longer than 10 minutes with early access enabled so I don't let early access on... there really needs to be separate keycodes for all major functions (especially search documented (and allow both button and keyboard presses to allow some mapping of other remotes). If they do use a button to bring up search, I wouldn't be against options in it to bring up recordings/discover/ etc as what to search as sometimes I expect search to search all.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:57 pm

signcarver wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:48 am

I assume they want it to loop back after the last channel which might be doable but currently one should not be able to go from first to last as that is how one generally gets to search...
If they're using keyboard/remote commands to change channels, I could see this been a non-issue, as you would likely not be calling up the slice guide in the first place. You'd just get a simple loop through.

ota

Post by ota » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:44 pm

nateb wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:30 am
ota wrote:

When the slice guide is not in use, changing channels with the remote (keyboard Page Down/Up) should loop last to first channel and vice versa. It currently stops once you reach the last/first channel.

As for what happens when the slice guide is in use (intentionally displayed) and whether looping happens when either paging up/down or arrowing up/down through the slice... the middle ground is to change the paging action to also loop through blocks of the slice instead of stopping; however, when the arrow keys are used continue the current behavior to stop at the last channel and then when arrowing up to the first channel once you reach the top, continue to navigate up into the search box.

imugli

Post by imugli » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:04 am

Hi Guys,

AndroidTV

I've posted a thread about the Pause button behaviour in another thread, but another UI quirk seems to be sometimes when I bring up the overlay, using the UP / Down DPad buttons doesn't work.

Hit the Back button, then go back into the UI, and it works OK.

Using the "latest features" version.

Cheers,

J.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am

imugli wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:04 am
Hi Guys,

AndroidTV

I've posted a thread about the Pause button behaviour in another thread, but another UI quirk seems to be sometimes when I bring up the overlay, using the UP / Down DPad buttons doesn't work.

Cheers,

J.
If you can figure out a way to reliably reproduce this, let me know. We definitely want to nip that in the bud.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:12 pm

nateb wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am
imugli wrote:
Hi Guys,

AndroidTV

Cheers,

J.
If you can figure out a way to reliably reproduce this, let me know. We definitely want to nip that in the bud.
This also happens to me on my Shield about every 3rd or 4th channel change. It's not something I can make happen. It seems to be quite intermittent. And I know how software guys LOVE intermittent issues.

imugli

Post by imugli » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:37 pm

leerandall wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:12 pm
nateb wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am
imugli wrote:
Hi Guys,

AndroidTV

Cheers,

J.
This also happens to me on my Shield about every 3rd or 4th channel change. It's not something I can make happen. It seems to be quite intermittent. And I know how software guys LOVE intermittent issues.
Yeah, unfortunately, this is the case for me as well. It's not something I can replicate reliably.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:31 pm

More updates to this

1108(b)
  • Search should work throughout the Slice/live TV experience
  • Back button now exits the app on Discover in Android (similar to Recorded and Tasks) (not actually part of the modern UI, just something that needed doing)
  • Fix title on Live TV on first launch
  • Left side of seek bar now brighter
  • Font of title thinner
  • Fix a live tv crash
  • Improvements to logging

jessie10133

Post by jessie10133 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:52 pm

nateb wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:31 pm
More updates to this

1108(b)
  • Search should work throughout the Slice/live TV experience
  • Back button now exits the app on Discover in Android (similar to Recorded and Tasks) (not actually part of the modern UI, just something that needed doing)
  • Fix title on Live TV on first launch
  • Left side of seek bar now brighter
  • Font of title thinner
  • Fix a live tv crash
  • Improvements to logging
what you mean by (not actually part of the modern UI, just something that needed doing) pressing the back button on live tv doesnt launch/open discover is opening the recorded dvr screen on shield TV

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:35 pm

jessie10133 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:52 pm
what you mean by (not actually part of the modern UI, just something that needed doing) pressing the back button on live tv doesnt launch/open discover is opening the recorded dvr screen on shield TV
If one is on the discover tab... pressing back (a few times... as you need to get back to the top menu row) does nothing. Now if you have early access on, pressing back on discover (a few times) now will exit on android the same way it does on other tabs... that "backstage" view (recorded, discover, tasks...) isn't part of the "modern UI" which is dealing with the UI in the "front stage" (live TV/playback of recordings).

jessie10133

Post by jessie10133 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:53 pm

signcarver wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:35 pm
jessie10133 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:52 pm
If one is on the discover tab... pressing back (a few times... as you need to get back to the top menu row) does nothing. Now if you have early access on, pressing back on discover (a few times) now will exit on android the same way it does on other tabs... that "backstage" view (recorded, discover, tasks...) isn't part of the "modern UI" which is dealing with the UI in the "front stage" (live TV/playback of recordings).

I apologize I misread changelog I thought it said that While watching live TV pressing the back button will open the discovery section instead of the recording section. I really don't use drv because of the DRM situation and I think it's more convenient to open the discovery section instead of the recording section that way it won't be so much clicking and pressing buttons to get around

otaku

Post by otaku » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:07 pm

I TOTALLY agree!

Back button while watching Live tv should take you to Discover.

NTC
Device ID: 10751B42

Post by NTC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:18 am

I would be OK with back button from Live view going to Discover tab, at least to try it for some time. People generally will post when they don't like a feature or there's a bug. So, if you change it to go to the Discover tab, you'll know if it was wise from the responses (or lack thereof).

Another item I am not sure if that was the intent in UI 20191108b, but when I go to the cog wheel from the Discover view/tab, it takes me straight to the "account information" page, as oppose to the main settings page. So if I want to turn a feature off (e.g. AC3 passthrough, new features, diagnostic info) I go to the cog wheel, then have to hit the back button to get to the main setting page.

Occurs on Sony and Hisense Android TV using respective TV remotes.