Roku Television

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
barrymckenzie

Roku Television

Post by barrymckenzie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:07 am

Is it possible to purchase a Roku based Smart TV and install the HD App to watch content? Most of the conversation I can find in the Forum is about External Devices - I am tired of them - I want a TV that will handle everything I want - HULU Live, Amazon Prime, Netflix and most importantly, the HD Homerun App. Does anyone have experience? I think Android TVs can do the job completely, but Roku seems like the best overall system to me.

rrussis82

Re: Roku Television

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:26 am

What about the FireTV editions? they work great

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:37 pm

The Roku TVs should work perfectly for watching Live Over the Air content and for watching recordings. The app doesn't handle scheduling recordings right now.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:10 pm

The Roku TVs, perhaps unsurprisingly, do a better job at playing broadcast TV than standalone Roku devices. I'd still take a Fire TV Edition or Android TV TV (is there a better term than that?) over one though.

barrymckenzie

Post by barrymckenzie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:39 am

I am not enthusiastic about the TVs available as Fire TV Editions. I am afraid ROKU sets seem just as ordinary. I gravitate toward android because of the models available. Any worries?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:46 am

Just making sure that the apps you want are available on that particular model. Some apps (looking at you, Prime Video) are really picky when it comes to which models they make themselves available to, even though most of the time when one isn't supported it still works fine if you sideload the apk. Sony and Hisense seem to have the best app support among TVs from what I've read.

Daviddavid

Post by Daviddavid » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:22 am

I bought a fire stick to watch hdhomerun on an old dumb tv that we used for about a year just fine. A few weeks ago I bought a TCL Roku TV (65S425) and was easily able to install and watch hdhomerun live TV and recordings on it. (Previously I did have hdhomerun on a stand alone Roku box that worked but only could see live TV).

I can still not set up recordings on the Roku TV, but that's easy enough to do on my phone (or fire up the fire stick).

The only issue I've found with the hdhomerun app on the Roku tv is that I cannot rewind recordings. If I press the rewind button on the remote control, it actually fast forwards.

We also have prime video app on the Roku tv no problem.

tmoe

Post by tmoe » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:15 am

PSA: Just bought a Roku soundbar (Roku Ultra streaming engine), its not listed as supported and it doesn't work with my SD Prime (latest Roku software 9.2.6 and HDHomeRun version 50 20191030). I didn't think it would but since I had it I thought I'd give it a go and pass on the results. So if you need HD HomeRun pass on the soundbar.