recommended storage device

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
GreggP

recommended storage device

Post by GreggP » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:49 am

I'm a relatively new Shield TV owner (I have the 2017 version) and have also purchased the HDHomeRun DVR service. I haven't been able to use it because I don't have a suitable storage device. So I've been trying to figure out what to get.

I have a v5 version of unRAID and eventually plan to do a few hardware upgrades (add RAM and increase the capacity of my parity drive and array) and software upgrades to v6. I'm in no hurry to do this. The older v5 version has been working well and the hassle and expense of the upgrade are not a priority right now.

I want something simple for the time being. I just want to attach storage to the Shield and start using the DVR. I reviewed the installation instructions and see that you can use an external hard drive set up as removable storage. Typically, we don't "collect" TV recordings. We just use the DVR to timeshift shows. Once we watch the program, it's deleted. There are a few occasions where the recordings are saved for a month or so, like for the Olympics.

I am considering the Seagate Portable 2TB External Hard Drive. Is this enough capacity or should I opt for the 4TB version?
Are there any performance issues I should know?
Should I use an SSD drive instead (don't really want to spend a lot of money - for about $115 I could buy a 1TB SSD plus enclosure; the 2TB Seagate HDD is about $60)?

Thanks,
Gregg

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Re: recommended storage device

Post by leerandall » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:30 am

I use this one with my Shield 2017 Pro:

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Game-St ... 47&sr=8-12

Don't make the same mistake I did. Before buying the disk above, I bought a WD Passport X because it was cheaper. But it couldn't keep up a satisfactory data transfer rate, causing video drop-outs and blockiness. I returned it for the one above and it works great.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: recommended storage device

Post by nickk » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:42 am

Best all round is the HDHomeRun SERVIO - 2TB network attached record engine with 24/7 video spec hard drive.

They will be back in stock this week.

Nick