Using remote with Discover Now needs improvement - ota

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ota

Using remote with Discover Now needs improvement - ota

Post by ota » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:08 am

I've been evaluating replacements for WMC and have been reviewing the HDHR Win10 app (20190911b) for live TV with a Harmony remote + its WMC key mappings.

First note we only have 17 OTA channels in use. In WMC the grid guide is super efficient with a smaller set of channels displaying 7 rows of shows over a 2 hour block. In this case it takes just 3 button presses (1 guide/ctrl+G press, 2 channel/page down presses) to easily see and determine what to watch. Not looking for long term discovery, just what's on now and coming up with easy comparison of channels.

In the HDHR Win10 app, the slice guide won't fit the bill. For 17 OTA channels it takes about 20 button presses to get through 2 hours across all channels, and, since only 1 slice displays at a time channels can't be compared.

That leaves Discover Now. First, I'm surprised Discover Now can't be set as the Starting Page which could show it with 1 button press by using back/Escape. Otherwise is there a key that will immediately bring up Discover Now? It doesn't appear anything happens when using WMC's guide/ctrl+G button. Can the app be changed to show Discover Now with ctrl+G?

Next, when Discover Now displays it should always be ready for use, meaning "Discover" should be the selected tab, "Now" should be the selected subtab, and the first show should have focus displaying its title. On first use it may do this but after using other screens this focus setup is lost. Then, dedicated buttons/keys need to be mapped to page up/down vertically, and, to page left/right through blocks of time. I realize arrowing up/down and left/right works but that's more button mashing that can be eliminated by dedicated paging buttons.

Last item, when Escape is pressed, why is the menu focus not on the menu item that should have focus? In other words if Recorded is the starting page, after pressing Escape you have to arrow over twice to get focus on Recorded.

As it stands for 17 OTA channels, this adds up to roughly 14-18 button presses to display all shows over 2 hours...

1 escape - to show menu
3 arrow right - to get focus on Discover
1 enter - to show Discover
5 arrow down - to get down into and see all shows in that time block
4 to 8 arrow right - to get to the end of the 2nd hour depending on the number of shows on the first page

If this were optimized, the end result should instead be (for however it makes sense to map buttons and set the default page and focus)...

1 press - to show Discover Now with focus on the first show
1 press - to PAGE down to see all shows
4 presses - to PAGE to the end of the 2nd hour

This more than halves the number of button presses from 14-18 down to 6 getting closer to WMC's 3 button presses.

To sum up, currently getting to and through Discover Now with a remote is tedious and fails the wife and family acceptance factor.

otaku

Re: Using remote with Discover Now needs improvement

Post by otaku » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:54 pm

I have repeatedly asked for reduced button presses while in Discover and it is obviously low on the priority list.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Using remote with Discover Now needs improvement - ota

Post by nateb » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 pm

ota wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:08 am

That leaves Discover Now. First, I'm surprised Discover Now can't be set as the Starting Page which could show it with 1 button press by using back/Escape. Otherwise is there a key that will immediately bring up Discover Now? It doesn't appear anything happens when using WMC's guide/ctrl+G button. Can the app be changed to show Discover Now with ctrl+G?

Next, when Discover Now displays it should always be ready for use, meaning "Discover" should be the selected tab, "Now" should be the selected subtab, and the first show should have focus displaying its title. On first use it may do this but after using other screens this focus setup is lost. Then, dedicated buttons/keys need to be mapped to page up/down vertically, and, to page left/right through blocks of time. I realize arrowing up/down and left/right works but that's more button mashing that can be eliminated by dedicated paging buttons.
All reasonable requests. Let me see what we can do.

edit: Actually, looks like that Watch Now defaulting to the Discover tab may be a bug in win10. Just tested it on Android, and it defaults to the first item. Will get dev on it asap.

ota

Post by ota » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:13 pm

I see the Win10 early access 20191030 version now has "Discover" as a selectable starting page in settings and it works when starting the app to show Discover Now with focus on the first show. Unfortunately I previously thought whenever escape (back button on WMC remote) is pressed from Live TV it was navigating to whatever is the settings starting page; however, now that there's a 2nd choice for starting page other than Live TV, I see the escape/back button just always navigates to Recorded. Instead, can escape/back be changed to use the settings starting page? Otherwise there still isn't a solution for 1 button quick access to Discover Now from Live TV.

otaku

Post by otaku » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:23 pm

It's an absolute 100% logical and needed request!

ota

Post by ota » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:02 am

Thinking more about this, getting to both Recorded and Discover each in 1 button press are equally important. If it were changed that escape/back loads the starting page, then only one of them is set up for quick access. Additionally (at least for Win10), how about implementing WMC/MCE remote buttons to load each with ctrl+O to get to Recorded and ctrl+G to get to Discover and while you're at it ctrl+T to get to Live TV? If you haven't seen this yet here's what Emby supports: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wi ... %20Support

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:54 am

ota wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:02 am
Thinking more about this, getting to both Recorded and Discover each in 1 button press are equally important. If it were changed that escape/back loads the starting page, then only one of them is set up for quick access. Additionally (at least for Win10), how about implementing WMC/MCE remote buttons to load each with ctrl+O to get to Recorded and ctrl+G to get to Discover and while you're at it ctrl+T to get to Live TV? If you haven't seen this yet here's what Emby supports: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wi ... %20Support
Getting as many of those buttons supported as possible is definitely on my own personal wish list, so I'll certainly root for it/bug our devs about this ;)