Recorded DRM-protect Content Support - Again

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
bigfan99

Recorded DRM-protect Content Support - Again

Post by bigfan99 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:56 am

Hello,

Last month (Sept 2019) @NedS stated "From what I've been told, it's a simultaneous internal deadline for both DRM recording and the PRIME 6". (viewtopic.php?p=351021#p351021)

I understand the release of Prime 6 has been delayed (from the noticed on the Prime 6 product page). Does this delay impact the projected availability of recording DRM-protected content?

Thanks!

--Rob

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Recorded DRM-protect Content Support - Again

Post by signcarver » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:07 pm

The two have never been absolutely tied together just that it made business sense to need it for when the prime 6 came out... but to answer the question, it gets here when it gets here and based on the note saying "There will be no casual updates or dart board dates to appease the masses" they most likely are not going to speculate on when that will be.

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:43 pm

"There will be no casual updates or dart board dates to appease the masses" they most likely are not going to speculate on when that will be.
Assuming the two issues remain tied together, then you are right. The point of my question was to explore whether these two (apparently unrelated) issues are in fact tied together (there is an entire universe of non-Prime 6 customers out there that could benefit from the feature) .

--Rob

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:11 pm

The release of PRIME 6 is dependent on DRM recording support being available, because it would be kind of pointless to release it otherwise when half the country is stuck with a DRM-happy cable provider and wouldn't have a recording option without it. This is a one-way dependency. DRM recording support does not depend on the timing of PRIME 6. We have lots of incentives to get DRM recording support working a soon as possible, including completing the Kickstarter goals, increasing the number of people who subscribe to the DVR service, and actually being able to record from our own cable providers (almost everyone who works here either has Cox or Spectrum with 100% DRM cable channel lineups).

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:10 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:11 pm
The release of PRIME 6 is dependent on DRM recording support being available, because it would be kind of pointless to release it otherwise when half the country is stuck with a DRM-happy cable provider and wouldn't have a recording option without it. This is a one-way dependency. DRM recording support does not depend on the timing of PRIME 6. We have lots of incentives to get DRM recording support working a soon as possible, including completing the Kickstarter goals, increasing the number of people who subscribe to the DVR service, and actually being able to record from our own cable providers (almost everyone who works here either has Cox or Spectrum with 100% DRM cable channel lineups).
So, cutting right to the point, unless DRM recording can be delivered (no certainty after 4.5 years), SD will eventually stop supporting the cable side of things. That certainly explains the delays.

They've clearly made the decision that without DRM, the cable business isn't a business worth staying in.

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:22 pm

I'm also guessing that if recording of protected content ever comes to fruition, it will be via a box similar to Scribe but supporting cable cards (either via Prime 6 or directly).

I think SD has tried (and obviously failed) to lock down recordings in the Windows and other environments. It's simply not possible when you don't control the hardware/software. The only way to accomplish that is to have a hardware solution that you totally own and control and can completely lock down.

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:28 am

jasonl wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:11 pm
Thanks Jason. The position is clear.

On an unrelated point, I changed the email account associated with my Profile (to my primary Gmail account) and the account suddenly became Inactive. I then had to create this new BigFan99 (was rtbond) to get a working account again. Would you our another Admin PM me with support details (what is going on, is there an issue using Gmail accounts for notifications). I would have PM this point to you but for the life of me I could not find the PM feature!

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 am

StraightThruTheHeart wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:10 pm
So, cutting right to the point, unless DRM recording can be delivered (no certainty after 4.5 years), SD will eventually stop supporting the cable side of things. That certainly explains the delays.

They've clearly made the decision that without DRM, the cable business isn't a business worth staying in.
This fundamentally misunderstands the point. We do not anticipate any problem with releasing DRM support. And DRM support is not and has not been the cause of any delay. It will be released when it is released.

jmcguire525

Post by jmcguire525 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:25 am

nateb wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 am
This fundamentally misunderstands the point. We do not anticipate any problem with releasing DRM support. And DRM support is not and has not been the cause of any delay. It will be released when it is released.
It's blatantly obvious that there have been problems with releasing DRM support. Going by previous statements made, the expectation was to have DRM ready for a mid 2018 launch of the Prime 6. I seems unwise at this point not to anticipate further hold ups.

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:26 am

nateb wrote:
So after 4.5 years, you guys just don't feel like releasing it until you feel like releasing it. :roll:

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:48 pm

jmcguire525 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:25 am
nateb wrote:
It's blatantly obvious that there have been problems with releasing DRM support. Going by previous statements made, the expectation was to have DRM ready for a mid 2018 launch of the Prime 6. I seems unwise at this point not to anticipate further hold ups.
You are wrong. I can't explain the details, so I can understand why you wouldn't believe us, but you are entirely and totally wrong. You don't have to take my word for it, but you do have to drop it when it comes to our support forum. Continued speculation is just creating FUD.