Kodi shows HDHomeRun as a UPNP source but official plugin can't find it

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
terminus

Kodi shows HDHomeRun as a UPNP source but official plugin can't find it

Post by terminus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:48 am

I have a HDHomeRun on my network and I can access it via its web interface. I can also detect channels using the Linux tools on a computer on the same network. It is also detected by Kodi as a UPNP source. But when I run the official HDHomeRun Kodi plugin, the device is not detected with an error "no channels found on any device".

Could it be an issue that Kodi is on a wireless segment of my home network and the HDHomeRun is on a wired segment of the network? They both share a common address space but do I maybe need to bridge them somehow? There is no firewall separating them, so for normal network traffic this isn't an issue.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Kodi shows HDHomeRun as a UPNP source but official plugin can't find it

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:14 am

The Kodi plugin discovers the HDHomeRun using broadcast traffic, while UPnP uses multicast. Most networks treat these the same and just forward the traffic to all devices. If your AP is not, that would account for the difference. Another potential issue would be using a static IP and having the wrong subnet mask set on the network interface. Any mismatch, no matter how small, would prevent the device from being found

DRMsucks

Post by DRMsucks » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:26 am

terminus wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:48 am
I have a HDHomeRun on my network and I can access it via its web interface. I can also detect channels using the Linux tools on a computer on the same network. It is also detected by Kodi as a UPNP source. But when I run the official HDHomeRun Kodi plugin, the device is not detected with an error "no channels found on any device".

Could it be an issue that Kodi is on a wireless segment of my home network and the HDHomeRun is on a wired segment of the network? They both share a common address space but do I maybe need to bridge them somehow? There is no firewall separating them, so for normal network traffic this isn't an issue.
1. Ensure "IGMP Proxy" is enabled on your router.

2. If you're using a VPN, you need to either A, exclude local traffic, B. Exclude the app with split-tunneling, or C. Shut off your VPN (provided it's not set to stop all traffic when off)

As for Wifi and wired, your router doesn't care about the type of connection when routing TCP. It doesn't matter.

terminus

Post by terminus » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:45 am

Thanks, just to let you know that I have received this and although I don't have time to try it out right now, I will report back here once I get it working.

terminus

Post by terminus » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:03 pm

So, I've come back to this finally. To eliminate any trouble with the router, I now have the device directly plugged into my computer's ethernet port. Running "hdhomerun_config discover" works and returns the device. Yet, the Kodi plugin still says "No channels found on any device"... what am I still missing here?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:43 am

What's the device ID for the HDHomeRun?

If you go to the IP address listings in the hdhomerun_config discover result, and click on Channel Lineup, are channels listed there?

terminus

Post by terminus » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:03 am

1050C426. And yes, I do see the channel listing. It may be that the aerial that I'm using isn't strong enough to actually get usable video from those channels, but would that result in this specific error?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:38 am

It looks like you have an ancient firmware version on the device. You need to update to the current version.

http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomer ... 190621.bin

Upgrade using the config GUI if you have it, or the command line if not:

Code: Select all

hdhomerun_config 1050C426 upgrade /path/to/hdhomeruntc_atsc_firmware_20190621.bin

terminus

Post by terminus » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks, that worked!