Buying used Prime

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mrfrankmrfrank

Buying used Prime

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:03 pm

I was just curious... if I purchase a used prime, is there a chance it could be locked / paired with the previous owner? Say I purchase a used prime that was previously paired with Comcast and I want to use it with my own Comcast... would there be issue?

Thanks!

tmm1

Re: Buying used Prime

Post by tmm1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:56 am

The prime doesn't come with a cablecard. You would rent a cablecard from xfinity with your account and insert it into the prime.

Short answer is no, there will be no problem and there is no locking.

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:49 am

tmm1 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:56 am
The prime doesn't come with a cablecard. You would rent a cablecard from xfinity with your account and insert it into the prime.

Short answer is no, there will be no problem and there is no locking.
Thank you, I currently have 3 primes with another cable card on its way. All 3 of my primes were purchased new. The only reason I feared issue was that perhaps comcast would see a prime mac / device id / etc previously paired to a cable card on someone else's account. If this is not an issue then I have nothing to worry about. I just remember several years ago I lent a pair of the old ati cable card tuners to a friend of mine and he had trouble getting them paired to cable cards on his comcast account as he stated comcast was claiming they were still paired with cards tied to my account. Thank you!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:53 am

If a used PRIME has been previously activated with Comcast and hasn't been removed from the previous owners account it may cause a problem when you go to activate it yourself with Comcast.

Suggest simply activating it like normal - it should hopefully just work, or Comcast will tell you if it is locked to another account.

Worst case we can see what we can do.

Nick

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:15 am

If a used PRIME has been previously activated with Comcast and hasn't been removed from the previous owners account it may cause a problem when you go to activate it yourself with Comcast.
This was my fear. Thank you for the advice and for taking the time to reply!

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:59 am

Does anyone have information regarding any hardware revisions of the prime? I have 3 models purchased new from years ago. They have been rock solid for years now. I see that it appears there was a redesign of the box artwork at some point. Were the 3 tuner status lights also removed? Were there any significant hardware changes to the prime over the years? I'd like to continue my lucky streak of having rock solid hardware and avoid any... exploding or leaky capacitors, tuner failures etc.

My point is should I try to find an older hardware revision or a newer revision or does it not matter?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 am

mrfrankmrfrank wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:59 am
Does anyone have information regarding any hardware revisions of the prime? I have 3 models purchased new from years ago. They have been rock solid for years now. I see that it appears there was a redesign of the box artwork at some point. Were the 3 tuner status lights also removed? Were there any significant hardware changes to the prime over the years? I'd like to continue my lucky streak of having rock solid hardware and avoid any... exploding or leaky capacitors, tuner failures etc.

My point is should I try to find an older hardware revision or a newer revision or does it not matter?
As I understand it, the only revision was cosmetic: removing the tuner status lights. Internally they are the same.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:39 am

There were no significant hardware changes. The tuner LEDs were removed in newer devices.

mrfrankmrfrank

Post by mrfrankmrfrank » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:15 pm

thanks guys!

PghCordCutter

Post by PghCordCutter » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:00 pm

I bought one of my HDHR Primes off of Ebay and did not have any problems. I would ask the seller before purchasing the item just to have it on record. I will probably sell my Primes once the new Prime 6 is released. I kept the boxes :)