HDHomerun connect Gen 4 vs gen 5

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
1maynard

HDHomerun connect Gen 4 vs gen 5

Post by 1maynard » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:43 am

Wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade my tuners to the Connect gen 5. I currently have two gen 4 connect duo tuners but have been noticing some issues with what I call screen tearing of the picture as well as stuttering of the audio at times. I rescanned all channels and also tried re-aiming my OTA antenna but it does not seem to help. If I switch to using the tuner im my LG 65B6 OLED TV the stuttering and screen tearing do not happen. Would the newer gen 5 tuners help? If it matters I am using JRiver MC and a HTPC for my OTA viewing and DVR recording and playback. BDA compatibility is set for J River.
Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHomerun connect Gen 4 vs gen 5

Post by NedS » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:48 pm

Do these issues happen if you try with the HDHomeRun app or VLC?

1maynard

Post by 1maynard » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:10 pm

I do not have the HD Homerun app or VLC player on my HTPC. I will try loading the Homerun app and see what happens. Will let you know. Can you tell me what the improvements if any in the Gen 5 Connect?

1maynard

Post by 1maynard » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:10 pm

I do not have the HD Homerun app or VLC player on my HTPC. I will try loading the Homerun app and see what happens. Will let you know. Can you tell me what the improvements if any in the Gen 5 Connect?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:16 pm

Smaller, uses less power, and some improved tuning components. It's hard to quantify how much those improvements might translate to real world reception improvements for the average user, but the issue you describe might not be a signal problem.

1maynard

Post by 1maynard » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:11 pm

Just for kicks I downloaded the Homerun app on my laptop and tuned to the same channel I was watching on my TV using my HTPC and JRiver MC. When I first started the laptop the picture and sound were slightly ahead of the same program on the HTPC. After about 15 minutes the TV was slightly ahead of the laptop. One difference is the HTPC is hard wired to the network and the laptop is wireless so that could be the reason they were not totally in sync. The Laptop did have some of the same issues with screen tearing that I am noticing on the HPTV and TV setup. I checked the tuner status and both channels show 100% signal strength, 98% signal quality and 100% symbol quality. Since I have two of the HDHR4-2US tuners I will shut one down tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. I did notice that both channels were using the same tuner tonight. maybe this will help narrow it down.

1maynard

Post by 1maynard » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:43 am

Well I narrowed my problem down to one of my two tuners. I unhooked them one at a time and the oldest one is the one causing the issues. I had trouble with the power supplies last year and replaced them with higher amp units and I am wondering if that is the case now. I have noticed that when tuning my channels it always favors the older unit for some reason. We seldom use more than two tuners except on the evenings when I want to tune one show and record two others. I thing I will try to switch power supplies and see if it helps.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:53 pm

In terms of amperage, the device will only draw as much as it needs, so going with a higher amperage supply won't hurt. Voltage is what needs to be exact.

If the supply is starting to fail and isn't providing a consistent voltage under load, the first sign of that is usually reception problems.

1maynard

Post by 1maynard » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:15 pm

Yes, that is what happened the last time. Reception started to get wonky. Thing that is strange is the problems mostly happen on CBS channel's. I can get two UHF and one VHF channels for CBS and when it happens they all do it to some extent.