Windows 7 Viewer no video and no sound

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Dustin

Windows 7 Viewer no video and no sound

Post by Dustin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:59 am

Hi

I have 5 Windows 7 machines all with this problem. All worked well in the past. None work since updating HDhomerun.
The View program starts and runs but displays a black screen and no sound. The EPG side is current and there seems to be no problem selecting live content other than it doesn't display. The fingernails with the EPG display correctly on the right hand side.

I have uninstalled VLC 64 bit where it has been installed and replaced it with 32 bit. No change.
I have installed a generic MPEG-2 codec. No change.

If I run HDHOMERUN setup it finds everything just fine. If I select Digital Antenna and click on one of the "Tune" entries eg: CH34-1344 then VLC opens and the video and sound work fine.
It is the same for all machines. So it would seem the hardware works but the HDHomerun software doesn't.

Clearly that is not an acceptable work-around as to watch each and every channel there is a requirement to run setup. In addition the EPG can't be used.
I have searched the net and these forums to no avail.

I cannot be the only person having this problem as it occurs across all Windows 7 machines I connect to my HDHomerun hardware (even borrowed).

I now turn here for help. Please.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Windows 7 Viewer no video and no sound

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am

Any difference if you remove VLC entirely?

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:50 pm

Not a lot unfortunately.

Removed VLC and rebooted.
Removed HDHomerun and rebooted,
Installed HDhomerun and ran setup.

Same resulting black screen and no sound. EPG works. All other Viewer controls work normally.
Go to setup and select Digital Antenna, click on any channel. Windows Media Player now starts, after setup (never used it), it now displays the TV channel perfectly as per VLC before it.

Remove HDHomerun and rebooted,
Install VLC 32 bit and rebooted.
Install HDHomerun and rebooted.
Run HDHomerun and same as always, black screen with no sound. EPG etc all work fine.
Use HD setup to select Digital Antenna. Video and sound now display on VLC.

Total result: no change.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:48 am

Do you have a firewall on the PC? If so, make sure the HDHomeRun app is allowed in it.

3579mike777

Post by 3579mike777 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:31 pm

Why don't you use Windows Media Center. It was included with almost every version of Windows 7.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:53 am

The only firewall is Windows firewall - will check.
Edit: checked. All HDhomerun instances are allowed through the Windows firewall.

Windows Media Centre or Windows Media Player? If WMP then it makes no difference at all. I am trying to use the "View" program that comes with and is the major part of HDhomerun.

I can already hack around and have it run on VLC or WMP but that's a ridiculous work round as it's cumbersome and gives you no use of the EPG.

I have fired up Windows Media Centre and it's a pain. I get a TV signal on it but the epg is a problem and it freezes for no good reason every once in a while. Would prefer to just get HDHomerun View working.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:18 am

OK My box is an HDHR3-DT

I had a friend who has the same setup visit today. He dragged his Win7 box down and plugged it in to my network. Exactly the same problem!
He assured me his worked at home before he left.
He contacted me again after he went home and plugged into his own network and reported that his worked again!

Now I am really scratching my head.

I can watch television on the box using VLC and Windows Media Centre but not HDHomerun View.
The only firewall is Windows firewall and that shows enabled for HDhomerun including HdHomerun View.

I sit dazed and confused.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:49 am

I tried turning it off and on again.

C.A.R

Post by C.A.R » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:59 pm

I am having the exact same problem. Help!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:15 pm

Have you run a channel scan in HDHomeRun Setup recently? If not, run one, reopen the app, and see if that makes any difference.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Just ran a re-scan and sadly no difference.

Thanks for the help though.

This really does seem illogical. The fact that a friend's computer using my hardware has the same problem but using his at his home (same hardware) has no problem.
That suggests it's hardware.
The fact that you can select a particular channel and open it in VLC or WMP and WMC but not HDHomerun View suggests that it's software.

This is nuts!

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:25 pm

I use fire sticks and the android app and almost never use the View app on Win 7, but checked mine and it is doing the same as the OP.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:21 am

Could you momentarily try turning off the firewall entirely, just to see what happens?

edit: Or is it possible you have a second firewall happening in your router perhaps that we didn't think to look at?

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm not the OP, but I turned the Windows Firewall off and it had no effect for me.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Any idea when the last time it worked was? Have there been Windows Updates installed between then and now?