HD Channels inconsistently working

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
brettuk

HD Channels inconsistently working

Post by brettuk » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:40 am

Hi,

I've had a connect duo for years, and have consistently had problems with HD channels, both at my current location, and at a different location, using a different transmitter. HD Channels would work fine for weeks on end, and then suddenly not work, with symbol problems galore. Well a few weeks ago my connect duo stopped working properly, with the light being off even while being given power. As I was out of the warantee period, I thought I'd pick up a new connect quatro and hoped it would solve my problems.

Well it arrived today, and it's sort of picked up the HD channels, but they're unknown, and when tuning into them I get 0% symbol quality again. Really disappointed. I don't have a TV or setup box with a HD Tuner to test with, but the TV has been fine watching SD channels that the homerun hasn't picked up before (or SD channels that break up). What I don't understand is the inconsistency. Before I give up and send the new homerun back, can someone give me some advice as to what is going on, and what I can try?

BBC one SD is giving me these stats:
Signal Strength 75%
Signal Quality 100%
Symbol Quality 100%

So my signal isn't bad generally. I'm just under 8 miles from the transmitter as the crow flies.

Thanks

brettuk

Re: HD Channels inconsistently working

Post by brettuk » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:57 am

I tell a lie, it's not even picking up HD channels, it's struggling to pick up some SD channels, and they are the "unknown" - if I tune in, the picture breaks up and the symbol quality jumps all over the place, if I tune in to that channel on my old TV with freeview tuner, it works perfectly.

brettuk

Post by brettuk » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:09 am

Right an update.

I've moved the HD Homerun to the same signal box as my TV is plugged into. The HD Channels show up - good.

However if I tune into a SD channel, after a while the picture will begin to break up - and symbol quality will drop - yet if I have the TV tuned into the same SD channel, (plugged into the same dual signal box), it doesn't break up at all.

There's therefore a problem with the HD HomeRun - it's either too sensitive, or not sensitive enough or something. Can someone help me debug this?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:12 am

Hard to believe you have had a connect duo for years (it really hasn't been out that long into the hands of people, though very close as initial firmware just turned 2 years old a few weeks ago)... are you sure you meant connect duo and not the old "dual" or just connect as duo is (currently) 5th gen (I expect the name to continue in later generations), just connect (no duo in name) is 4th gen and previous generations were often called duals.

I'm going to assume you are in the UK since you mentioned BBC (but please mention your location)... did you get the proper quatro for your region (I've heard of people trying to use the US version in DVB-T/t2 areas which won't work)? Typically in the UK on the 4th and 5th gen boxes, one often needs a high pass filter/braid-breaker to filter out some interference (I believe it is related to DAB... last link I had to such filter is dead... never wrote down part number). I find it hard to believe at 8 miles one would only have 75% strength... however, at 8 miles it is extremely likely the signal is way above 100% (you wouldn't know how much) and as a result isn't adding such channels to the scan as it can't tune anything and perhaps it is adding a much more distant tower's transmission.

My suggestion is to enable sending of diagnostics data, run a channel scan, and report back with your deviceID. It is also usually a good idea to state your general location and antenna type.

brettuk

Post by brettuk » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:27 am

signcarver wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:12 am
Hard to believe you have had a connect duo for years (it really hasn't been out that long into the hands of people, though very close as initial firmware just turned 2 years old a few weeks ago)... are you sure you meant connect duo and not the old "dual" or just connect as duo is (currently) 5th gen (I expect the name to continue in later generations), just connect (no duo in name) is 4th gen and previous generations were often called duals.

I'm going to assume you are in the UK since you mentioned BBC (but please mention your location)... did you get the proper quatro for your region (I've heard of people trying to use the US version in DVB-T/t2 areas which won't work)? Typically in the UK on the 4th and 5th gen boxes, one often needs a high pass filter/braid-breaker to filter out some interference (I believe it is related to DAB... last link I had to such filter is dead... never wrote down part number). I find it hard to believe at 8 miles one would only have 75% strength... however, at 8 miles it is extremely likely the signal is way above 100% (you wouldn't know how much) and as a result isn't adding such channels to the scan as it can't tune anything and perhaps it is adding a much more distant tower's transmission.

My suggestion is to enable sending of diagnostics data, run a channel scan, and report back with your deviceID. It is also usually a good idea to state your general location and antenna type.
Hey, yeah sorry I mean the silver looking device with two tuners (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _atsc.html). I bought the quatro from amazon UK (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BFPWBNS). I'm also in the UK yes. I've also updated the firmware and am on 20190621.

I turned on diagnostics earlier, ran a scan and had it tuned into a SD channel which was breaking up every min or so (had the same channel on the TV using the TV tuner and it didn't break up once) - my device ID is 12524F93

More than willing to get a filter if that's what I need and can be linked to what I need to get. Not sure on what antenna I have, it's in the attic and was there when I moved in.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:47 am

The logs look like the classic pattern of what would be helped with a high pass filter/braid breaker. The top item at https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d70.html is what we recommend.

brettuk

Post by brettuk » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:16 am

Cheers - I've bought one, lets hope it solves the problem!