Please check my reception

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
shawn_75

Please check my reception

Post by shawn_75 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:48 pm

I was hoping someone from SD could look at my tuner logs. I think I should be getting more channels than my tuner picks up. I am line of sight to a cell tower and line of sight to a PBS transmitter. Not sure if either of these are overloading my tuner. I do have an LTE filter and mast mounted amp installed.

My device ID is 10389003. It is an older DUAL model. I have enabled sending of diagnostic information and done a channel scan.

Thank you.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Please check my reception

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:42 am

I don't see anything that suggests overload. You're just in an area that's ~45 miles from the broadcast towers with enough hills in between to block most of the signal from reaching you. What kind of antenna are you using and where is it installed?

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Thanks for looking.

I'm using a channel master CM-2018. It's roof mounted about 6 feet above the ridge. It's still looking through trees. Oddly, I was able to barely receive a station from Knoxville, TN WBXX the other day. It's now gone.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 pm

You'd probably be fine with that antenna if you lived somewhere flat, or at least if you were on a hill tall enough to clear the other hills between you and the towers, but with the terrain it's a bit small for the job. I'd probably upgrade to something bigger, either the Winegard HD7698P or the HD Stacker from Denny's Antenna Service.

It's not unheard of to briefly get stations from 150 miles away, especially if it's ahead of a front. Weird things happen in the upper levels of the atmosphere and that can cause signals that would otherwise just pass out into space to reflect back down to the ground. I once saw a channel scan from someone in Madison, Wisconsin that picked up stations from the Quad Cities, Rockford, Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, and Grand Rapids MI. 20 minutes later all the extras were gone and everything was back to normal as the conditions changed.