Stale guide data presented when pressing exit to bring up Discover in live TV

Discussion of the new user interface for the HDHomeRun app.
Bobstr
Device ID: 131CCFEA, 1314A87C

Stale guide data presented when pressing exit to bring up Discover in live TV

Post by Bobstr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Ok,this may take a moment to explain properly. Is anyone else seeing this?

Windows 10 system running the 20190911b with early release and uploading logs enabled.

It seems that current normal behavior is that once a show is selected and you're watching live TV, and at some point later, when you click to return to the discover screen, you instead are taken to the TV show's screen and to get to discover, you then have to press exit to get to the discover screen.

That's all fine and dandy if that's what SD wants it to do. However, the screens that it takes me to are stale, as in from the same time slot when you selected watch, and are not being refreshed to show the current time slot. This can be hours later, and the data is now very stale or out of date.

Example : went from discover, to the show, then clicked watch. A couple hours later, I clicked to bring up the discover screen. At shortly after 4pm, instead of the discover screen, it went to the show's screen and displayed the 11:30 am timeslot of the show. When I clicked on discover to leave that screen and go to the discover screen, at 4:19pm, the discover screen was showing the stale, out of date time slot at 11:30 am instead of the current time slot of 4:00pm.

The only fixes I have found are to click on discover once again or restart the app. This occurs every time I perform these steps (discover screen, select show, select watch, wait, click to go back to discover).

I've got a pic of the discover screen, but can't figure out how to upload it.

[edit 10/3/19 - updated subject line to more accurately reflect issue]
Last edited by Bobstr on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Stale guide data presented when pressing guide in live TV

Post by nateb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:30 am

Bobstr wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:37 pm

The only fixes I have found are to click on discover once again or restart the app. This occurs every time I perform these steps (discover screen, select show, select watch, wait, click to go back to discover).
Does this require waiting to happen? If I follow the steps up to watch and then hit escape or the button to go back to discover immediately, it seems to go straight back to discover. You're right, we definitely don't want to go back to stale info.

Bobstr

Post by Bobstr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:23 am

nateb wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:30 am
Bobstr wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Does this require waiting to happen? If I follow the steps up to watch and then hit escape or the button to go back to discover immediately, it seems to go straight back to discover. You're right, we definitely don't want to go back to stale info.
I don't recall for sure if it does it right away, we usually don't do it immediately. but as I recall it does go straight to the show screen instead of the discover page every time we try it, regardless of the time interval. We usually watch a show (or at least part of one), then the mapped 'guide' button on my harmony remote (I need to check what actual key it's mapped to). it used to go to the discover screen, but some time back it started going to the show screen as I had described.

Last night it also started hanging in live video after as short as 2 - 3 minutes (sometime much longer) with no button presses, screen does a weird 'flash & jump then freeze' (for only just long enough to realize it's jumped or bounced on the screen and then the screen quickly goes completely black). It never recovers and we terminate the app and restart it to resolve. This morning it's so bad that the wife had to stop watching TV. When she wants to try again, if she sees the same behavior, she'll turn off early access to see if that changes anything. I'll do more investigation once I get home from work.

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:20 pm

Sounds like that guide button may be the issue. I can't replicate it with the GUI Discover button or the Escape key on the keyboard. If you can figure out what the guide button is mapped as, we should be able to fix it.

Bobstr

Post by Bobstr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:15 pm

nateb wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:20 pm
Sounds like that guide button may be the issue. I can't replicate it with the GUI Discover button or the Escape key on the keyboard. If you can figure out what the guide button is mapped as, we should be able to fix it.
I remoted to my home desktop so that I could check the harmony software for what I've mapped that guide button to - and it's mapped to Escape key using the Harmony known device 'Microsoft Media Player' - which is the same configuration I've used since I first setup the Harmony remote. When I get home from work, I'll try to replicate the issue using the steps you described (keyboard Esc, or GUI Discover button), and I'll use a standard Windows Media Center remote that I have, but don't use in the living room with the system in question.

Thanks!

Bobstr

Post by Bobstr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:04 pm

This is bizarre. After multiple weeks of having this issue, I come home tonight and test, and when I use the remote or the keyboard to exit live TV (esc key on keyboard or remote button makes to esc), the darn thing goes to recorded tv instead of the previously described behavior.

I checked it during the 5:30 time slot and right after 6pm. I'll let you know if the problem returns after watching for a longer period tonight.

Are you sure your engineers didn't sneak a fix for this into production overnight? :D

Bobstr

Post by Bobstr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:13 pm

Not sure that it matters, but it did it again, but with a new twist. Sending diagnostics enabled, and this happened at 6:59 pm pacific time today.

BTW, it reported I was still on 911b. I restarted the app after this happened and am now on 918c.

Shortly after changing channels, about 3 to 5 minutes, I used my harmony remote to exit back to recorded (the expected behavior), but instead read brought to the show screen I had used to get to live TV (channel 113). The odd twist was that I could not up arrow using the remote to get past the top of the episode listing to select discover. I had to press exit.

It then showed me a now stale discover screen as the time was now approx 7:03pm, yet it showed the time slot for 6:30. At that point I checked the version, saw that it was not current and restarted the app. It restarted with the current version and I could not replicate the issue any longer.

Bobstr

Post by Bobstr » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:28 am

Bobstr wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:13 pm
Not sure that it matters, but it did it again, but with a new twist. Sending diagnostics enabled, and this happened at 6:59 pm pacific time today.

BTW, it reported I was still on 911b. I restarted the app after this happened and am now on 918c.

Shortly after changing channels, about 3 to 5 minutes, I used my harmony remote to exit back to recorded (the expected behavior), but instead read brought to the show screen I had used to get to live TV (channel 113). The odd twist was that I could not up arrow using the remote to get past the top of the episode listing to select discover. I had to press exit.

It then showed me a now stale discover screen as the time was now approx 7:03pm, yet it showed the time slot for 6:30. At that point I checked the version, saw that it was not current and restarted the app. It restarted with the current version and I could not replicate the issue any longer.
I'm seeing this problem multiple times daily now - nearly every time I press exit from live TV. I'm the latest early release as of last night (the 0919f version), and logs are being sent.

It manifests as two issues after using Discover to select a show, then pressing 'watch' to go to live TV, and later clicking exit to start the process of finding another show:
1) screen returns to the show's episode list screen that I clicked watch from rather than returning to the former default of the recorded TV tab.
Then, if it's been long enough to have the timeslot change (anything from crossing into the next half hour to a couple of hours later):
2) when pressing exit or Discover from the show's episode list screen in #1 above, Discover is displayed, but it is not refreshed - it's showing stale data from the now out of date timeslot that was displayed when you selected the show you were just watching, even if that show is not currently being aired. To get the current timeslot to display, you have to click on Discover again.

This is getting really aggravating. it's happening as often as number keys not working in the Slice guide (aka nearly every time I try to use it). Any help would be appreciated.

Bobstr

Re: Stale guide data presented when pressing exit to bring up Discover in live TV

Post by Bobstr » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 am

It's still happening on a regular (many times a day) basis even on the latest early beta.

Anyone else seeing this? It's pretty damn aggravating.

How to re-create:
Open discover
Select a show
select 'watch'
Watch the show for any period of time from a few moments up to hours (as if you decided not to watch the show after all, or watched an entire movie, or a binge watched many episodes of the same show on that same channel)
Press exit
--> instead of going to 'recorded TV', you go back to the screen with the show and episode you clicked 'watch' from earlier (same episode list, not even refreshed to match the current time/time slot).
Press exit again to get to the discover screen (or click on 'discover' at the top of the screen)
--> instead of being presented a discover screen with the current time / timeslot of shows, you get the same time / timeslot and show listings that was present when you selected a show and clicked 'watch'.
press exit *again* (or click on discover) and you finally get the current shows, time / timeslot that you should have seen originally.

nateb
Silicondust

Re: Stale guide data presented when pressing exit to bring up Discover in live TV

Post by nateb » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:02 am

I just read this right when the 30 minute Now timer started. I'll give this a try in about 27 minutes. Thanks for the detailed instructions!

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 am

Bobstr wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 am

How to re-create:
Open discover
Select a show
select 'watch'
Watch the show for any period of time from a few moments up to hours (as if you decided not to watch the show after all, or watched an entire movie, or a binge watched many episodes of the same show on that same channel)
Press exit
--> instead of going to 'recorded TV', you go back to the screen with the show and episode you clicked 'watch' from earlier (same episode list, not even refreshed to match the current time/time slot).
Press exit again to get to the discover screen (or click on 'discover' at the top of the screen)
--> instead of being presented a discover screen with the current time / timeslot of shows, you get the same time / timeslot and show listings that was present when you selected a show and clicked 'watch'.
press exit *again* (or click on discover) and you finally get the current shows, time / timeslot that you should have seen originally.
This did not work for me. I visited Discover and verified it was at 12. Started a recording at 12:27. Hit escape at 12:33. Then clicked Discover. And I was brought to Discover at 12:30.

Can you test this using a keyboard and see if the same thing happens, so we know whether it's definitely a remote control thing?

Bobstr

Post by Bobstr » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:42 pm

One difference in how you tried to repro it and what I was doing is that we don't usually press record in that situation. we do Discover, show, watch, while in live TV hit exit (ESC) and it goes to the show screen instead of Discover (and if we waited long enough, the show screen and discover have stale, out of date show listings).

I will use the keyboard tonight to compare. I use a harmony remote and if my memory serves correctly, the key is mapped to 'ESC', so it's emulating what the keyboard is doing. I'll verify that as well.

Thanks for the help in trying to figure this out.

Bobstr

Post by Bobstr » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Ok. I've got a repro both last night and this afternoon. Both are done using the keyboard. Last evening included the full list. Pressing esc got me back to the stable show screen with the episode list from when I passed watch. Pressing discover presented the stale discover time slot.

Today I watched the pregame show on the local fox station, then watched the entire 10:00 game (Seahawks v Browns). After the game, at 1:37pm, used keyboard to press esc, it went to discover displaying the 9:30 am timeslot. I also could not click on 'now'. It would simple move the focus down to the first show on the screen below now. I have a picture of it showing the curvy time as 1:37pm and the next half hour time add 10:00am.

Only fix to get the current timeslot was to click on discover again.

Edit : at 2:40pm Sunday while watching live TV, it did the whole thing, and was repeatable by remote and keyboard. Pressing esc would take out to the show's screen instead of the discover screen. Add that the TV show name in the banner at the bottom would show The Simpsons, and within a second the displayed name would change to NCIS: Los Angeles. I have a pic of that too. The wrong show name is of a show that hadn't been watched today (or recently)

nateb
Silicondust

Post by nateb » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:42 am

It's weird. I'm not sure what we're doing different. I tried replicating what you said. I went into discover. Opened a show on Now, and selected Watch Now. When the show starts, I hit ESC. And that takes me back to Recorded, rather than the show. So for some reason we are being taken to different places.

Bobstr

Post by Bobstr » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:35 pm

When it's doing it, it never takes me to recorded when I press esc. It goes straight into that stale show info routine. I also nearly never press esc immediately after starting to watch live tv.

I have no idea where to go from here.

Although one factor that might somehow be involved is we let the app run overnight. Although this problem does occur when when the app has been ended and restarted, so I'm not sure how this could be a factor.

We never turn off this pc, it is not configured to go to go into sleep mode. The app is sometimes left in live TV overnight (the reciever that the hdmi signal goes through and the TV get turned off). Sometimes it's in the recorded tv or discover screen when the reciever and TV are turned off. When we leave it on live TV, but turn the reciever and TV off, live TV will automatically pause and will buffer until the recovery and TV are turned back on (usually the next morning).