Help with initial setup

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Birddog25

Help with initial setup

Post by Birddog25 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:05 pm

Hello,

I went to setup and run HD Homerun Quatro today. Hooked it up to my antenna, then into my router, plugged the power in, then myHDhomerun.com. Updated the freeware. The webpage saw the device. Run a channel check, got 47 channels. downloaded the App both on my Samsung phone and windows 10 computer. Tried to watch TV on my computer. Nothing! A box came up saying..... Unable to find HDHomerun tuner on local network....Please make sure both HD Homerun and this device is connected on the local network. Got the same thing on my phone. What did I do wrong? Any suggestions? Please Help!!

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Help with initial setup

Post by signcarver » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Describe the network a little more (what brand/model router, anything between computer and router, are both the phone and pc using wifi or is the pc wired directly to that same router). For troubleshooting, I suggest making sure you are using a wired connection and get such working prior to going to wifi as wifi can end up having its own quirks. Personally I suggest using a network switch to connect the wired devices as often I see routers interfering with the local traffic on the lan.

Device discovery is usually done by sending a broadcast packet (destination udp port 65001 to broadcast address of network can be "from" any port on the "client" (pc/phone) requesting such discovery). Often settings on wifi may block such traffic as well as any settings of firewall. There are a few that might even not allow the response as it is a unicast back to the port that sent the request and some don't consider a request to a broadcast address to be established to open the return path up (so mention any anti-virus/security/firewall software that may be interfering). A lot of times on the PC I have seen the issue of a user not using dhcp (or at least not from the same dhcp server, usually the router) and as a result they have the wrong subnet mask on the PC. Other times I have seen people use multiple routers as access points thus segregating the network (as far as broadcasts go).

If the device shows up on my.hdhomerun.com, you may wish to use the unofficial kodi pvr addon as it allows for http discovery but eventually if you want a DVR engine working you will at least need to get broadcast discovery working between the machine the DVR is on and the HDHR.