Amazon Fire TV Devices Stuttering After Commerical!

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
brahmabullwf

Amazon Fire TV Devices Stuttering After Commerical!

Post by brahmabullwf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking for help. Since we have moved, all of our Amazon Fire TV devices have a stuttering issue soon after a commerical break. It only happens once per commerical break. We are able to continue watching our shows by hitting fast forward on the issue. This happens on recorded shows and we can even see it in live TV. It shows up on live TV and the stream actually sends itself into a never-ending loop of the same video and audio.

I am not sure if anyone has any recommendation on what to do. If not, I'd like to engage in some diagnostics. Please help on next steps.

It's also helpful to know that I do not see any live TV issues on my regular standard cable box.

Thanks

brahmabullwf

Re: Amazon Fire TV Devices Stuttering After Commerical!

Post by brahmabullwf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:12 pm

Also helpful to note that I tested a recording on a Windows 10 PC and it reproduced the same after commercial stutter seen on Fire TV devices.

Someone please help!! I have had this system for a long, long time. The family loves it and depends on it and we want our flawless system back.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:10 pm

Is it happening on all channels or just certain ones?

If you go back and watch recordings that were made before the move, do they play without issue?

brahmabullwf

Post by brahmabullwf » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Thank you for replying Jason.

Old recordings work fine. Even some channels have worked fine post-move, but I haven't had that good experience as of late. It seems to be getting worse. I have the entire experience wired for the 2 HDHomerun PRime boxes as well as the DVR. The TVs I am having issues on also are wired Fire TV boxes. I have one wireless FireTV 4K stick with the same issue.

I have recordings as examples.

What's next?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Can you upload an affected recording somewhere and send us a link to look at? Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud, OneDrive, etc.. Email the link to support at silicondust dot com along with a link to this thread so we know what it is. Make sure the permissions on it are set to anyone with the link being able to view it, so the whole team can access it.

brahmabullwf

Post by brahmabullwf » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks Jason! I have uploaded to Dropbox and sent an email to support@silicondust.com.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

brahmabullwf

Post by brahmabullwf » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:19 pm

So the new update did not fix my issue. Further, I found the issue happens on my Windows computer as well so the issue is clearly in the recording/live tv buffer from what it seems to me. So every device I own sees it.

JasonL - I did submit a sample recording weeks ago and was told the issue would be fixed by the FireTV update. Clearly, the video I uploaded wasn't analyzed. Can you please help me get some attention on this issue? For a 1 hr show I have to fast forward past the issue at least 4x, meaningwhile missing 10-15 seconds of the show each time. This is not a good experience.

HELP!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Does this happen on all channels, only the broadcast channels, or only NBC?

Do you have any other cable devices in the home? If so, how do they look at those same points in the broadcast?

brahmabullwf

Post by brahmabullwf » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Mainly broadcast channels, but we have seen it on cable channels from time to time. I can confirm we have regularly seen it on all broadcast channels. LiveTV eventually hangs in a loop.

Besides FireTV devices, Windows, and Android that all experience the issue - we have a standard XFinity box that experiences no issues during LiveTV or these shows.

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqqew4zemvhid ... D.mpg?dl=0

The first stutter happens at the 04:19 mark. It eventually rebounds at the 04:44 mark.

I found another at 24:54 mark. This rebound is at 25:16 mark.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Can you turn on the sending of diagnostic data on your HDHomeRun, run a channel scan, record something, and then let us know the device ID for your HDHomeRun, what show it was, and what times in the recording had problems? We will check the logs to see what was happening on the device side at those points.

brahmabullwf

Post by brahmabullwf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:47 pm

All done per your directions yesterday and today I had a recording with difficulties:

2 Three Tuner Devices
1) 13145622
2) 13168BE9

Superstore 8pm EDT Thursday - NBC

Times of trouble (of 30 minute recording):
04:03
14:35

Really appreciate this. Want to get this problem behind me. Had a flawless service for years before this showed up.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:26 pm

We are not getting diagnostic data from either of your devices. Can you check and see if the Send diagnostic information box is still checked on both?

brahmabullwf

Post by brahmabullwf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi Jason,

I have many FireTV devices throughout the house and I know they are enabled on at least 2. I just re-checked 1 and it is still on. But wouldn't this only be for the player? Can I ask for instructions on how to enable diagnostics to verify I have done this correctly? The way I enabled was by clicking Play/Pause 13 times (or whatever the number is) and enabling the box.

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:38 pm

I believe he was referring to the tuners... make sure sending of diagnostics data is on both the client (app) and the tuner (the tuner will turn such off after 10 day)

brahmabullwf

Post by brahmabullwf » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Take 2:

2 Three Tuner Devices
1) 13145622
2) 13168BE9

The Ellen Degeneres Show (my wife lol)

Stutter at 24:55 and 43:43.

Recording was Channel 1010 (NBC) at 3pm EDT Monday (11/18).

Is it possible my recording device has something to do with this? FWIW, it's a WDMyCloud.