Question about sporadic playback issues

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mikeb3408

Question about sporadic playback issues

Post by mikeb3408 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:04 am

Hello,

I am a longtime HD Home Run user and have recently moved to a new house where I am trying to perfect my setup.

I have it working well for most of the time.

My current setup involves an HD Homerun Extend located in my attic, connected to an Eero wifi puck which is getting good signal strength and reception.

My reception for all of my major networks is good and signal quality, signal strength, symbol strength are all green.

It is playing flawlessly most of the day but it seems like during the middle of the day once in a while the stream becomes unwatchable. I have not been able to trouble shoot why and I am wondering if there is a way you guys can help me?

Could it be the temps in my attic during the middle of a hot day are affecting the HDhomerun performance? Is there a way to see if this is the case on the diagnostics?

I have just enabled send diagnostics.

My device ID is 105380AB

I realize it's not idea to place the HD homerun in the attic but that is how I have been doing for several years and it is my only choice right now.

Thanks for any help!

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Question about sporadic playback issues

Post by NedS » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:19 pm

Temperature looks fine in the diagnostics, never going above 76 Celsius. There are a lot of possible factors at play, from the wifi to the broadcast transmissions, to other activity in the area that might be producing RF signals, etc.

Wifi should be easy to rule out by running a temp cable or bringing a laptop up next to it, just to test it on a hard line.

For broadcast transmissions, try doing a channel scan during the time of day when you notice an issue, and a scan when things are normal, reply back here, and we can compare the signal levels from the two times.
( my.hdhomerun.com -> your Extend -> Channel lineup -> Detect channels )

Other interference in the area is more tricky to find, since there are just so many possible sources of RF interference.