unable to play channel

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jessie10133

Re: unable to play channel

Post by jessie10133 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:34 pm

I'm also still having this problem its been a month or two and still no fix I would like to know when is this issue going to be fix? I was probably first person to ever report this issue any other issues I'm having with the new UI like the guide misclicking and going to the left and guide popping out of nowhere when scrolling and all that crap is not important to me whats important to me is watching TV in peace without getting a black screen when switching the channels if silicondust cant fix a simple problem like changing channels then cutting the cord with hdhomerun is not the way to go the new UI should be cancel! I Never had a black screen error with the old and more reliable UI

TOF

Post by TOF » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:34 am

I also prefer the old interface but as to the unable to play channel after being on one for an extended period, I have one machine that does that and one that seems to not be affected. Both are set to 0911b in the Gear page. :?:

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

unable to play channel - thedoomster

Post by thedoomster » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:12 pm

I also only see this primarily on one of my two Win10 machines. They are both on the same version of HDHOMERUN and Win10. One is a 2016 Dell with a Intel i7 and the other is a 2012 vintage HP Pavilion with an AMD CPU. I get the error frequently on the Dell, but not on the older HP. I use the Dell for TV daily, while the HP only 2-3 times a week for 3-6 hours at a time (man cave). They both have nVidia GPUs. Maybe this information will be helpful. Whatever the issue is causes the tuner to abruptly drop the session, causing the "unable to play channel".

thedoomster

Post by thedoomster » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:07 am

So SD, since it's so difficult to track the source of this issue down, why not consider putting in a workaround for now. For example, store the tuner/session assigned to the device and on a mode change such as Discover, check to see if the tuner/session is still alive and if it isn't and is still available, restart it? It's real pain to get up and cross the room to restart the app.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:14 pm

thedoomster wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:07 am
So SD, since it's so difficult to track the source of this issue down, why not consider putting in a workaround for now. For example, store the tuner/session assigned to the device and on a mode change such as Discover, check to see if the tuner/session is still alive and if it isn't and is still available, restart it? It's real pain to get up and cross the room to restart the app.
There's multiple different issues going on here. One is that many errors show up just as "unable to play channel", and those should normally be more specific (depending on the error, as sometimes even the app won't know and need to have a fallback message). On top of that, there's more than one issue that can cause a total black screen with no error message.

Obviously, we want to avoid any errors and not even need error messages, but until then we need to figure out which person is having which issue, and which of those are related.

thedoomster

Post by thedoomster » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:17 am

I thought this thread was specifically for the titled error, which is the only error I'm referring to that closes the tuner session.

kingcoldcuts
Device ID: 131DCF0F

Post by kingcoldcuts » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:54 am

Having both Unable to Play Channel and black screen issues this morning. Problems started ~10:10am PT. My devices are sending diag info.

HDHomeRun PRIME
Model: HDHR3-CC
Firmware: 20190621

Playback affected on:
iPhone XR - iOS 12.4.1 - 20190911b
Windows 10 - 1903 - 20190919f
Nvidia Shield - Latest release - 20190919f

Most are reporting Unable to Play Channel, but occasionally only show a black screen.

I tried to power cycle the Shield and the Prime.

The log shows "all tuners in use" - which is true, but I thought that 2 devices could share the same tuner as long as they are requesting the same channel. Is that true?

If there is a thread addressing the numerous guide issues, could someone link me? Searching is proving difficult because no one knows what to call them. For instance, when scrolling up or down, the Slice guide expands out on some channels - only Up/Down are pressed. Fast scrolling loops back to the starting position. And today's latest observation, when scrolling up/down, the highlighted channel suddenly jumps to the OSD, and the user is unable to scroll back over to the Slice guide.

Thanks for continuing to troubleshoot.

kingcoldcuts

Post by kingcoldcuts » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:08 pm

Update: approx 12:50p PT in the logs

Changing channel renders a black screen with no message.

Device: Nvidia Shield

Workaround: Exited HDHR App - force stop - clear data - relaunch app

Side note: Probably unrelated, but I do not have a DVR, yet under Discover, there are red dots all over the place.

Thanks!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:02 pm

kingcoldcuts wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:54 am
The log shows "all tuners in use" - which is true, but I thought that 2 devices could share the same tuner as long as they are requesting the same channel. Is that true?
Only if you're using the HDHomeRun DVR. The HDHomeRun itself is one stream per tuner.

kingcoldcuts

Post by kingcoldcuts » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:46 pm

That’s good to know. Thanks.

Perfect example of a black screen occurrence just occurred. Approx 7:42p PT. Attempted to change channel from NBC to FOX. Channel never resolves. Only a black screen.

Prime is serving the signal to a Windows 10 machine.

Thanks.

mchias13
Device ID: 131D4055

Post by mchias13 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:31 am

NedS wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:14 pm

There's multiple different issues going on here. One is that many errors show up just as "unable to play channel", and those should normally be more specific (depending on the error, as sometimes even the app won't know and need to have a fallback message). On top of that, there's more than one issue that can cause a total black screen with no error message.

Obviously, we want to avoid any errors and not even need error messages, but until then we need to figure out which person is having which issue, and which of those are related.
Is there anymore information we could provide to help with the unable to play message? It's getting very annoying having to close the program and reopen.

kingcoldcuts

Post by kingcoldcuts » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:23 pm

Had a business trip this week. This is my first day back.

Still sending diagnostics. Channel change renders a black screen on Windows 10 machine at 5:19pm PT. All subsequent efforts to change the channel fail. The guide and OSD appear as expected, but none of the channels resolve.

It appears that the only solution is to exit the app and start it again.

Also - Are you guys working on keeping the slice guide from expanding out when scrolling up/down through the channels? It's really, really annoying, and not just cosmetic. It means that if the user selects that channel, the next screen is the DVR UI.

Thanks for the continued work. Looking forward to getting some of these bugs fixed.

KCC

kingcoldcuts

Post by kingcoldcuts » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Black screen at 2:45pm PT. Channel change does not resolve.

Windows 10 - 1903
HDHomeRun App v20190919f

Channel had been unchanged for an extended period of time (NFL RedZone - 1311). Guide and OSD come up, but nothing plays.

Thanks!

KCC

kingcoldcuts

Post by kingcoldcuts » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:00 pm

So this issue continues to happen, but only when the current channel has been playing for an extended period. Definitely at an hour or more. Possibly at 30-45 minutes.

I'll continue to observe the behavior, but so far, this is the only common piece of information I can identify.

Thanks,

KCC

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:04 pm

This issue should be fixed in Early Access now (starting with version 1004).