When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
MinistryOfMagic

Re: When the Prime 6 comes out, how many are you planning on getting

Post by MinistryOfMagic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:33 pm

We have a new cable provider that is currently installing 100% fiber through out the city I live in and the city next to us. I asked if they support cablecards and they said no, we don't use cablecards. They are 100% fiber and based on IPTV. They are offering incredible pricing and if I leave my current cable provider, I'll no longer have a need for the Prime 6.

https://www.metronetinc.com

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:55 pm

MinistryOfMagic wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:33 pm
We have a new cable provider that is currently installing 100% fiber through out the city I live in and the city next to us. I asked if they support cablecards and they said no, we don't use cablecards. They are 100% fiber and based on IPTV. They are offering incredible pricing and if I leave my current cable provider, I'll no longer have a need for the Prime 6.

https://www.metronetinc.com
Fiber just means having an ONT box convert the signal. A quick Google suggests that if you pester them enough and keep asking to speak to someone higher up on the chain, you'll eventually get someone who knows what they're talking about and will help you set it up (according to some customers with Metronet fiber as of a year ago).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:53 pm

I believe most areas with metronet went to iptv about 4-5 years ago but there are a few that still can support cablecards. A know a few years ago it was even neighborhood by neighborhood in some places and one couldn't even check

Best i can say if you switch is to get a box and learn how to check its diagnostics screens and if it has a cablecard, see if it is tuning by qam or ip.

cubdukat

Post by cubdukat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:08 am

I am debating it. I previously was using Windows Media Center with a first-gen InfiniTV tuner, but when that went away, I stopped using it, since WMC's death more or less took away its' reason for existing as well as Ceton's excuse for supporting it anymore.

I'm considering it the Prime now because not only is there a program that supports premium channels, but I am looking to get rid of both my Comcast box and my **** Bolt. I never really had much use for the Comcast box anyway, and the Bolt has become even less attractive because of ****'s latest moves with ads and supporting downloads to PCs of recordings (or lack thereof), so I'll be looking to consolidate things. Additionally, the Bolt has issues with corrupting recordings made with the higher channel numbers. Not to mention that $35/yr is way more attractive that $150/yr with much less flexibility.

I seriously hope the Prime isn't vaporware, as I can't seem to find the previous generation anywhere.

andrewjs18

Post by andrewjs18 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:37 pm

cubdukat wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:08 am
I am debating it. I previously was using Windows Media Center with a first-gen InfiniTV tuner, but when that went away, I stopped using it, since WMC's death more or less took away its' reason for existing as well as Ceton's excuse for supporting it anymore.

I'm considering it the Prime now because not only is there a program that supports premium channels, but I am looking to get rid of both my Comcast box and my **** Bolt. I never really had much use for the Comcast box anyway, and the Bolt has become even less attractive because of ****'s latest moves with ads and supporting downloads to PCs of recordings (or lack thereof), so I'll be looking to consolidate things. Additionally, the Bolt has issues with corrupting recordings made with the higher channel numbers. Not to mention that $35/yr is way more attractive that $150/yr with much less flexibility.

I seriously hope the Prime isn't vaporware, as I can't seem to find the previous generation anywhere.
I'm in the same boat as you, more or less. I have an aging HTPC that has a ceton infiniTV 4 tuner in it that has to be closing in on ~9-10 years old or so now...it still works fairly well, but it's starting to get more and more tuner errors more often than it ever has in the past.

I briefly looked at the **** edge for cable, but seeing that it requires a monthly subscription plus a mini vox to be able to watch anything on a separate tv turned me off and I quickly closed the site...

hopefully this product comes out relatively soon so I can use it to replace my current set up and avoid having to get a box from Verizon.....

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Not expecting to see this product anytime soon......seem they have to go back to the drawing board.....that notice they posted seems to me so.
Cable card tuners seem to be a dying breed.
Last edited by speedingcheetah on Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:41 am

None, I have two Prime 3s and as long as they're working I'm keeping them.

There's something to be said for redundancy. And it remains to be seen if the Prime 6s will be as hardy and "just work" like the Prime 3s have. If they are ever actually sold.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:50 am

StraightThruTheHeart wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:41 am
None, I have two Prime 3s and as long as they're working I'm keeping them.

There's something to be said for redundancy. And it remains to be seen if the Prime 6s will be as hardy and "just work" like the Prime 3s have. If they are ever actually sold.
Ive been through 4 Prime tuners over the last 6 years [removed by moderator]
Not sure how or where to get another one, dont trust getting them used, and not made new anymore it seems.
I also, can not get a second one as can not get a 2nd cable card from Comcast, not offered anymore. Also, not want to pay $10 more a month for rental.

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:08 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:50 am
I've never heard such a thing from anyone. You must have bad power in your house and it's blowing them out.

If I'd gone through 4 in 6 years, I wouldn't be using that product. That's nuts.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:11 pm

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:08 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
I've never heard such a thing from anyone. You must have bad power in your house and it's blowing them out.

If I'd gone through 4 in 6 years, I wouldn't be using that product. That's nuts.
Nope...power is quite stable, reguardless, is connected to a Cyberpower UPS with AVR and Pure Sine wave. As is all my other equipment.
[removed by moderator]

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:24 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:11 pm
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:08 pm
speedingcheetah wrote:
Ive been through 4 Prime tuners over the last 6 years, they fail often.

Nope...power is quite stable, reguardless, is connected to a Cyberpower UPS with AVR and Pure Sine wave. As is all my other equipment.
[removed by moderator]
I have had mine since 5/25/2012 and neither has failed.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:08 pm

You should not bee seeing units fail like that. There are no known issues or "generations".

The HDHomeRun PRIME (and all newer models) are specifically designed with high quality ceramic capacitors to ensure that there are no lifespan-limited components inside the HDHomeRun. Other consumer electronics products often use cheaper electrolytic capacitors with a limited operational lifespan.

With that said the power adapter will eventually need to be replaced like any other product. 98% of customers should see >5 years of operation with the factory power adapter. We offer low cost replacements on our website.

Nick

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:49 pm

nickk wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:08 pm
You should not bee seeing units fail like that. There are no known issues or "generations".

The HDHomeRun PRIME (and all newer models) are specifically designed with high quality ceramic capacitors to ensure that there are no lifespan-limited components inside the HDHomeRun. Other consumer electronics products often use cheaper electrolytic capacitors with a limited operational lifespan.

With that said the power adapter will eventually need to be replaced like any other product. 98% of customers should see >5 years of operation with the factory power adapter. We offer low cost replacements on our website.

Nick
Not is all case it could cable power spike

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:16 pm

nickk wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:08 pm

Nick
It was on this very fourm that one of you stated that a certain gen was known for weak tuners....anyway, also, cable line is grounded, so no spike there, and the tuners gradualy failed. they "work" but cut out or have weak degrading signal, or just wont load at times, i still have one of the failed units in a box in my closet..

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:29 pm

speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:16 pm
It was on this very fourm that one of you stated that a certain gen was known for weak tuners
No. All HDHomeRun PRIME (HDHR3-CC) units use the same tuners and RF input stage. The RF performance exceeds cable industry certification goals and every unit is RF tested at factory.
speedingcheetah wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:16 pm
The tuners gradualy failed. they "work" but cut out or have weak degrading signal, or just wont load at times, i still have one of the failed units in a box in my closet.
That seems very odd. Any chance you can send it to us for analysis? (including the power adapter)

I am still using my HDHomeRun PRIME from 2011.

Nick