Multi Screen in dvr software

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
Meyerchak

Multi Screen in dvr software

Post by Meyerchak » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:00 pm

I have noticed that many pvr’s and dvr’s are supporting multi screen or multiple channel viewing on one screen. Does hdhomerun have any plans to implement this really cool feature in dvr software.

I only have two turners now so I would buy a new hdhomerun box with four tuner so I could have a total of six. Maybe good way to increase sales from older users

Thank you for making your products.

Best regards.

uconnctfan33
Device ID: 1322E4EF, 1326963D

Re: Multi Screen in dvr software

Post by uconnctfan33 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:33 am

Meyerchak wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:00 pm
I have noticed that many pvr’s and dvr’s are supporting multi screen or multiple channel viewing on one screen. Does hdhomerun have any plans to implement this really cool feature in dvr software.

I only have two turners now so I would buy a new hdhomerun box with four tuner so I could have a total of six. Maybe good way to increase sales from older users

Best regards.
That would be amazing! I too would buy another HDHomeRun Box just to have this feature!

Modcr

Post by Modcr » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:04 pm

I would buy a new hdhomerun box to support multi-stream. Please enable this support. :D

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:18 pm

I'm not sure how feasible this is. Most of the platforms the apps runs on simply aren't fast enough to decode multiple MPEG2 HD streams simultaneously. I believe the Shield can do at least two, and fast PCs and Macs can do several, but something like a FireTV quite likely is only fast enough for one. When you have streaming apps that support 4 simultaneously (e.g. the NHL or ESPN apps on some platforms) they do that by limiting the resolution of each, so you end up with 4 480p30 streams, for example, which requires less power to decode than a single 720p60 or 1080p30 stream, so it's not a big deal. That's not an option on broadcast TV since you're getting whatever the broadcaster is transmitting.

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Meyerchak wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Best regards.
Meyerchak,

I use Windows 10 and the HDHomeRun app. I cannot launch the app more than once to bring up two different TV stations simultaneously. But you can use VLC Media player to bring up another channel. In VLC, go to Media > Open network stream. Enter http://192.168.1.124:5004/auto/v705?transcode=heavy and click Play. Obviously you need to change the IP address to match the IP of your HomeRun Device. And the channel in my example is 705, you would modify the channel to open the channel you want. I watch a lot of sports and when there is more than one game on that I am interested in, this is how I keep my eye on both games.

NoReDist
Device ID: FFFFFFFF

Post by NoReDist » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:30 am

SpencerC wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:06 pm
v705?transcode=heavy
... must be nice! :D

kkid

Post by kkid » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:34 am

jasonl wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:18 pm
I'm not sure how feasible this is. Most of the platforms the apps runs on simply aren't fast enough to decode multiple MPEG2 HD streams simultaneously. I believe the Shield can do at least two, and fast PCs and Macs can do several, but something like a FireTV quite likely is only fast enough for one. When you have streaming apps that support 4 simultaneously (e.g. the NHL or ESPN apps on some platforms) they do that by limiting the resolution of each, so you end up with 4 480p30 streams, for example, which requires less power to decode than a single 720p60 or 1080p30 stream, so it's not a big deal. That's not an option on broadcast TV since you're getting whatever the broadcaster is transmitting.
Seems to me that the older version of Win10 QuickTV did support multi-screen live viewing on the same screen of non-premium channels. I know i could watch different games on different HD channels at the same time. So why is that not available in this new DVR version?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:06 am

Up until recently it hasn't been possible to launch two instances of a UWP app. I think Microsoft added something in the last Win10 release - I will research if it is possible.

Nick

kkid

Post by kkid » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:19 pm

nickk wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:06 am
Up until recently it hasn't been possible to launch two instances of a UWP app. I think Microsoft added something in the last Win10 release - I will research if it is possible.

Nick
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for.

From MS "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... stance-uwp"

From Windows 10, version 1803 (10.0; Build 17134) onward, your UWP app can opt in to support multiple instances.

blade005

Post by blade005 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:59 pm

kkid wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:34 am
jasonl wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:18 pm
Seems to me that the older version of Win10 QuickTV did support multi-screen live viewing on the same screen of non-premium channels. I know i could watch different games on different HD channels at the same time. So why is that not available in this new DVR version?
Release 20140604 of HDHomerun Windows was the last version of QUICK TV that would allow multiple instances to run simultaneously that I recall. Next version was when they replaced QUICK TV. I still have that last QUICK TV version installed on my system for Saturday and Sunday sports viewing on my projector. Also have the current W10 app installed as well. Nice to be able to open 2, 3 or 4 screens simultaneously on a Windows machine. Also nice that each instance runs its own audio driver that can be adjusted or muted based on your audio preferences. I am running a relatively older Intel i3 Core processor with 4GB of RAM without any issues. 4 screens is about the limit and you can start to see some occasional stuttering on one Live feed. Wish a similar functionality were available in the current W10 app. My only issue encountered recently is that the QUICK TV app seems to hang on exit after a recent update to Windows 10 and does not release the tuner after using Task Manager to END PROCESS. I have a Windows 7 machine and it does not have this issue.

blade005

Post by blade005 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:14 pm

nickk wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:06 am

Nick
Will HDHomeRun UWP app allow multiple instances to launch?

Running multiple instances is better than no options, but is still a bit of a work around. A nice feature would be an integrated multi-screen option within one instance of W10 app of HDHomeRun. The ability to select a multi-screen window and select the layout desired (2 Screens side by side, 3 Screens with 2 stacked top and bottom and one larger screen or 4 Screens). Choices would adjust based on number of available tuners detected. Separate audio controls or the ability to only have the highlighted screen with audio would be welcome. Similar to what you see with browser offerings such as FOX Sports Go. You can select a desired screen layout and then select each window and choose the Feed you wish to view. Every HDHomeRun owner already has a minimum of 2 tuners and would likely find this as a very welcome feature addition. Hope it gets some serious consideration by SiliconDust.

Thanks.