Fire Stick 4k

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Fire Stick 4k

Post by jasonl » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:17 pm

The last from Amazon was:
"This fix is planned for end of Q2. The update should start going out to devices by the end of June."

Bender2000

Post by Bender2000 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:46 pm

It's the last day of June, has anyone gotten an update?

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:22 pm

I have gotten 2 updates in the last Week for the FireTV 4K ... I am on Version 6.2.6.4 and I have not seen a problem using the HDhomeRun App.
Last edited by EddieP on Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Bender2000 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:46 pm
I believe the current status is that an update went out in the past two weeks which included the MPEG2 decoding fix. (I received this on both of my 4K sticks.) However, EU (especially UK) users may have some more waiting, as apparently there is still a problem that affects H.264 interlaced streams, which are quite common over there.

mustang5o

Post by mustang5o » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:34 am

Looking forward to hearing reports from US people on how Live TV is working straight through the HDHR app after the update. Maybe I'll be picking up another 4K stick on Prime Day.

IceColdJones

Post by IceColdJones » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Live TV is still not fully working on DirecTV Now. They replaced my sticks and the problem persisted. I realized it was due to my Audio setting set to Stereo, it causes some channels to freeze. If I changed the audio to any other option, the voices and mouths were off but it never freezes on any channel. Put it back to Stereo to correct the lip sync and it freezes on some channels. So weird that it's the Audio setting on 4k stick.

Puzzled

Post by Puzzled » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:33 am

rpcameron wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:59 pm
Bender2000 wrote:
I believe the current status is that an update went out in the past two weeks which included the MPEG2 decoding fix. (I received this on both of my 4K sticks.) However, EU (especially UK) users may have some more waiting, as apparently there is still a problem that affects H.264 interlaced streams, which are quite common over there.
Where did you hear about UK users having to wait for a further update?

Just bought a 4k Fire Stick only to realise it can't play UK HD Freeview (OTA) channels live. Device just locks up after a few seconds and I have to force close or reset in both HDhomerun and Plex.

Works fine on recorded content mind in Plex.

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:56 am

I still have this problem on my 4K stick as well. I can't play back any video recorded via HDHR in Plex or Emby either, same as you, just freezes up.

I'm getting quite fed up with it, it's making me wonder if the HDHR is my best option as a DVR as it's been quite a few months unresolved.
Last edited by Finchy505 on Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

mustang5o

Post by mustang5o » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:39 am

Finchy505 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:56 am
I'm getting quiet fed up with it, it's making me wonder if the HDHR is my best option as a DVR as it's been quite a few months unresolved.
I thought that too but it works in every other version of FireTV I have. 1st gen box, FireTV 4K (Pendant) and I can't remember which generation stick I have that works even though it's a little rough on some channels. That's stick is in the bedroom and doesn't get used much so it's OK. I sent the 4K stick back because of this issue and won't buy another until I see it's fixed or if I decide to get away from HDHR. Which is a possibility if Cox raises the rates too much. Even then I might go from HDHR Prime to a Quatro OTA tuner. I already have Hulu (Free), Amazon and Netflix (girlfriends account). I'm probably going to want Disney's (Marvel content) new streaming so at that point having cable might not be worth it.

Puzzled

Post by Puzzled » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:06 am

Finchy505 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:56 am
I still have this problem on my 4K stick as well. I can't play back any video recorded via HDHR in Plex or Emby either, same as you, just freezes up.

I'm getting quiet fed up with it, it's making me wonder if the HDHR is my best option as a DVR as it's been quite a few months unresolved.
Damn, I read that they had fixed the interlaced content issue in the last firmware update but obviously not.

Oddly I can play recorded content fine in Plex, its direct playing as well so no conversion. But as soon as I try to watch a HD channel live the device just locks the video while audio keeps playing.

The HDHomerun app works fine on the Fire Stick Gen 1, Gen 2 and Fire TV Gen 2 (box) but all have interlacing issues so the quality isn't great, I'd hoped this was going to the one that finally got it right.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:10 pm

Puzzled wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:33 am
rpcameron wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:59 pm
Bender2000 wrote:
Where did you hear about UK users having to wait for a further update?

Just bought a 4k Fire Stick only to realise it can't play UK HD Freeview (OTA) channels live. Device just locks up after a few seconds and I have to force close or reset in both HDhomerun and Plex.

Works fine on recorded content mind in Plex.
From a second ExoPlayer issue opened on GitHub dealing with the problem.

It wasn't a specific comment about UK users needing to wait. Just that there was a problem with hardware decoding of interlaced H.264 content that is still present. And since there is quite a bit of that type of content in broadcast feeds in the UK, I feel that comment still stands.

Puzzled

Post by Puzzled » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:18 am

Over a month later now, at least 2 fire stick software updates later and the issue still remains.

I'd urge all UK users to leave a negative review for the stick on Amazon and hopefully that might get some attention. I'll keep it as a secondary device for a bit in the hope that it gets fixed, if not I'll just sell it and give up on Amazon streaming devices.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 pm

We've submitted an updated app that blacklists the broken decoder when playing interlaced video. The picture quality won't be as good as it would be with a working hardware decoder, but it shouldn't crash on UK HD video anymore either. Usually takes Amazon a couple days to approve, so I'd guess it should be available Monday or Tuesday.

Puzzled

Post by Puzzled » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:48 am

Thanks, will give that a try in the week.

Amazon customer service responded saying they will pass the issue on to their technical development team for consideration but from what I've read this a deep hardware issue so unless the chip vendor fixes it I don't see it being resolved.

Bit sneaky that they delayed my review by a few days so it was a couple of pages back hidden away by the time it went live.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:26 pm

They had to go to the vendor for a fix for the MPEG2 issue. Then once they had it they sat on it for 4 1/2 months before releasing it.

Looks like the updated app is now available. Let us know if that helps.