Unable to access HDHomeRun on samsung tvv

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Yegg

Unable to access HDHomeRun on samsung tvv

Post by Yegg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Had my HDHomeRun Connect Quatro hooked up to my samsung tv for over a year no problems. Went to turn it on today and all I get is a frozen spinning circle of death. I’ve tried unplugging both the tv and the HDHomeRun to no avail. HDHomeRun is working as I can connect from my iPhone. Other streaming services work fine through the connected appletv. I am at a loss on how to delete the HDHomeRun from the tv list of sources. To then reinstall it

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Unable to access HDHomeRun on samsung tvv

Post by signcarver » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Nothing to install/reinstall for that as the only thing that works on samsung is the dlna mechanism that shows the tuners as a dms and are detected by the packet sent out by the tuner at regular intervals. (The e series did have an app but that has been flaky for 5 years... quatros never had rui support so even if you did manage to keep such on a samsung it wouldn't have used such on quatro)

I'd say make sure to select the dms, not the specific tuner but i don't think quatros show the individual tuners (or at least it doesn't show the quatros as anything else on my samsungs but for primes do show each of the 3 tuners in a prime separately as well as the dms).

Sometimes the samsung dlna software has issues with more than 100-150 channels but usually that is just cut off at that point.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:04 pm

When you access the HDHomeRun from a Samsung TV, it's going through the DLNA function on the TV. There is no install or uninstall for that. When you turn on the TV, it just sends something out to the network asking if any devices are available, and the HDHomeRun and any other DLNA devices respond back, and the TV adds them as inputs.

The first think you want to do is make sure the DLNA on the HDHomeRun is working correctly. The method the HDHomeRun app uses to access is mostly the same, but just in case. If you have VLC installed on a computer, open it, go into the playlist, then Universal Plug'n'Play, then double click on the HDHomeRun DMS xxxxxxxx entry, then Channels, and finally a channel. If it plays, then everything is fine on the HDHomeRun's side. if the TV still won't play, about all you would be able to do would be a factory reset on the TV. If you've made any changes to the configuration of the TV, such as the brightness/contrast/other settings you will probably want to write those down as they'll need to be redone after the reset.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:45 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:04 pm
The method the HDHomeRun app uses to access is mostly the same, but just in case. If you have VLC installed on a computer, open it, go into the playlist, then Universal Plug'n'Play, then double click on the HDHomeRun DMS xxxxxxxx entry, then Channels, and finally a channel. If it plays, then everything is fine on the HDHomeRun's side.
UPnP is broken in VLC 3.0.8. It won't even display the HDHR devices.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Works for me.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:50 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 pm
Works for me.
It must be a coincidence then. UPnP quit working for me on two PCs after updating to 3.0.8.