No HDHomeRun detected.

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
BlueCat57

Re: No HDHomeRun detected.

Post by BlueCat57 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:34 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:01 pm
Your speeds are probably slow because you're using 2.4GHz wireless. 2.4 is heavily congested, having to share with other networks, Bluetooth, some cordless phones, various other wireless devices, and microwave ovens. Also, going through a floor attenuates the signal a lot more than going through the wall does, and it's much worse if it's not just going straight up and down

DECA is fine, you just can't combine it with an OTA or cable signal so it's of limited use for most installs. If you've got coax between the two locations and don't need it for anything else then it's a good option.

A wireless bridge is basically a wireless access point in reverse. It gives you a couple ethernet ports and connects back to an existing wireless network, allowing your wired devices to connect to the rest of the network, while an AP creates a network that wireless devices connect to. A wireless bridge is what you're doing now with Windows, it would just be more reliable since Windows isn't doing it. You can find some that specifically exist for this purpose, but the most common option is to get a regular router that has that as a mode it can operate in. Asus calls it "Media Bridge" mode. Netgear calls it Bridge Mode
I'm not sure about the 2.4 being the problem. I had the HTPC on 5 as well as my phone and had the same issue. The Ethernet-connected computer upstairs gets about half what it is supposed to.

Thanks for reminding me about NOT combining DECA with any other signal. I haven't tested the coax runs to see if they are "direct" or "split" somewhere behind the wall. I've got a cable tester but not a tone generator. I should be happier about all that I'm learning.

I've got several old WiFi routers lying around. I'll have to find the newest one and check on its features.

Thank you.

BlueCat57

Post by BlueCat57 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:57 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:01 pm
Your speeds are probably slow because you're using 2.4GHz wireless. 2.4 is heavily congested, having to share with other networks, Bluetooth, some cordless phones, various other wireless devices, and microwave ovens. Also, going through a floor attenuates the signal a lot more than going through the wall does, and it's much worse if it's not just going straight up and down

DECA is fine, you just can't combine it with an OTA or cable signal so it's of limited use for most installs. If you've got coax between the two locations and don't need it for anything else then it's a good option.

A wireless bridge is basically a wireless access point in reverse. It gives you a couple ethernet ports and connects back to an existing wireless network, allowing your wired devices to connect to the rest of the network, while an AP creates a network that wireless devices connect to. A wireless bridge is what you're doing now with Windows, it would just be more reliable since Windows isn't doing it. You can find some that specifically exist for this purpose, but the most common option is to get a regular router that has that as a mode it can operate in. Asus calls it "Media Bridge" mode. Netgear calls it Bridge Mode
1. I have not received any reply to my Trouble Ticket #124245. Should I assume that we are dealing with it through this thread or is somebody going to handle it through the ticket system?

2. On the subject of a "media bridge". I have several old modems. They are only 802.11n at best. I have in the past thought about put third party firmware on them for a variety of reasons. Would doing so allow me to connect the HDHR device directly to my network and therefore the internet? It seems like it might be called something else if I don't use a 802.11ac router. Can it even be done with n? I've found older articles on the subject.

3. If I decided to buy a 802.11ac router with a "built-in" "bridge" feature, I should NOT buy an AP, correct? I need to buy a router, right?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:54 pm

1. Correct, we don't like addressing the same issue in multiple places simultaneously since it just gets too confusing.

2. DD-WRT and most other third-party firmwares support being a wireless bridge.
DD-WRT
Tomato
The name/functionality aren't different between 11n/11ac, just the speed of the wireless link.

3. If you're buying something new then just get a router that has support built in or can easily be flashed with alternate firmware that supports it.

BlueCat57

Post by BlueCat57 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:03 am

I give up. I've decided to read some of the nearly 1,000 books I have on my To Read list. And the nearly 4TB of .wtv recordings should fill in any leftover time.

I really appreciate all of your efforts to assist me in resolving this issue. I'm confident, that should I have chosen to, that I could have bridged one of the old routers I have lying around to get the DVR function working.

After 4 days of not being able to record, I figured out that the only OTA show (as in ONE) that I wanted to record right now is reruns that I can find elsewhere. The ONE current show we were recording wrapped up and won't be returning in the fall. And as of right now there aren't any announced or returning shows that are "Must See TV." (As in the marketing ad from the 90's which is really the last time we wanted to sit down and watch more than one current show in an evening.)

I realise that my particular network setup is fairly unique. But do remember that (based on several decades of marketing experience) that the ONE person who contacts you with a problem is likely to be one of the many that have the same problem but decided to just not bother trying to resolve it by contacting you. Not sure they is worth the time and effort it would take to overcome this specific network configuration but is worth considering at least formally documenting this situation for future reference and to make it VERY clear that the best way to connect an HDHR device is DIRECTLY to the router.

I'll request a refund for the DVR product through the bluecat9958 account that I used for the purchase.

Again, thank you for all of your help.